AF: Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BASONE88, Nov 7, 2019.

1. j8jeeper

j8jeeper Active Member

Very true, But to be fair.....same company. Also we do have a soda ash mine running the 3.0 in the half ton since 2015 with zero motor issues. Again they use Mopar filters fluids and good fuel. We do a heck of a lot more motor replacements for our fleets and regular dealer customers on the Cummins then the V.M. Any motor not properly maintained or running bad fuel is susceptible to failure.

djsamuel, wtxiceman, ScramFan and 4 others like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I’m not seeing all the anticipated love for the diesel motor on the Wrangler forums. Besides a couple of threads started when the EcoDiesel was revealed, very few forum members express a real desire to get one. Most cite the steep purchase price, followed by the cost of diesel fuel and DEF, and EcoDiesel‘s troubled record. Some claim dealers are already offering 10% off the MSRP of a JL diesel.

After driving my JL for 10 days I’ve been averaging 20 MPG with the 3.6 V6 and the 8-speed. The motor is peppy, smooth and proven. Personally, I see no need to pay an additional $4,000 for the diesel motor.

3. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

If they had faith in all their products they would match the Korean makers warranty on all their vehicles .

UN4GTBL, page2171 and thebluegoat like this.
  4. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Agree that 4k seems like a steep price. 2k, and I think you'd see a lot more interest.

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

6. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I too have a 3.6 auto JL. Couldn't agree with you more.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Price difference between the diesel and gasoline V6 is USD 4,000 for Sport, but for Sahara is USD 3,250.

Price difference is not only for engine, but also for the front Dana 44 axles that is installed in all diesel models (also rear is a Dana 44).

#27 MJAB, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    JayhawkOne and BASONE88 like this.
  8. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Unfortunately the Rubicon doesn't get a discount even though it already has the D44s. There is also the modified suspension that may be part of it.

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  9. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

After watching several videos of the launch and the test drives I'm not sure if there any changes to the front suspension. Can anyone who is familiar with the assembly comment?

I thought I heard in one of the videos that there are different springs but I may have that confused with some off-roading stuff I was watching.

10. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Because of the increase in weight they will have revised springs. As is stands all models have tuned springs based on the build and options.

12soldier and JayhawkOne like this.
  11. WXman

WXman Active Member

400+ extra pounds of weight directly over the front axle is going to be huge on the JL. The JLs are like 3,800 - 4,400 lbs. curb weight depending on configuration. You're talking 10% of that ADDED to the front end. I can't see how this won't affect driveability considerably.

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Where are you finding 400+ pounds? The v6 weight is 326 at it's lightest apparently and the 3.0 is 507. So in reality you're only adding about 200 pound on the front. This would be with just stock components too, when you start factoring in the upgraded suspension i doubt you could tell a huge difference

13. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I'm guessing that I'd see a benefit at altitude and going up and down the mountains with the additional torque, but I'm really hesitant given the issues they've had. My local dealer reached out to me about ordering one, but I'm holding off at least a year to see if the past issues start to flare up again.

wvutuba and aldo90731 like this.
  14. WXman

WXman Active Member

In all of the media reviews, they have stated 400+ extra lbs. with the EcoDiesel engine. In one of TFL's videos, even an engineer stated as such. I'm assuming that doesn't also account for all the added skid plating in the rear to cover up the added DEF tank, so the true total weight could be more than 400 lbs. extra.