AF: JGC won't start | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JGC won't start

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Christopher, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

I have a 2012 JGC 5.7, 4WD.

I backed it into the garage.

I plugged my phone charger into the power outlet in the center console. It would not charge so I checked the fuse.

The fuse was blown. When I put the new fuse in, it immediately blew. (I suspect that that car charger has gone bad.)

I unplugged the phone charger and replaced the fuse. It did not blow.

I went to move the Jeep out of the garage and it won't start. Nothing. I have power to the lights and I can open the rear hatch, but it doesn't even try to start.

I cannot get to the battery to disconnect it, although I have started pulling fuses.

It is currently partway in/out of the garage and I can't get it into neutral to push it in or out of the garage.

Any thoughts?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Does your vehicle have remote start capability? If YES push the appropriate key fob button twice and determine if the starter will engage. The hood must be securely closed for the remote start capability to function. There must be do diagnostic trouble codes stored in the powertrain control module for remote start capability. If the starter will engage and the engine fires, then you know the problem lies with an invalid signal from the ignition key switch (hard wired) from the ignition switch to the TIPM (totally integrated power module).

Here is a video that shows some troubleshooting techniques for a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee no start situation. Hopefully the layout in the fuse box - relay area is the same for your 2012 model.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWL5UvEgSgw

4. Christopher

Thank you all. The issue has been resolved.

5. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

For the benefit of others, what was the resolution?

6. Christopher

Regarding the blown fuse, I believe the phone charger is bad. It blew fuses in my Charger as well the day before and that was the common denominator. Other than my phone.

That was unrelated to the No Start issue.

That was User Error. It won't start if the key is on my desk. The key in my pocket was the key to the Charger.

Too much stress trying to get ready to leave town for 3 months for a new job led me to being scatter brained. And then stressing out when it wouldn't start because I was behind schedule led me to not thinking clearly.

So yeah....that happened. lol

jerseyjoe and Doug D like this.
  7. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

can't say that has not happened to me.... recently

8. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

No matter the cause, you persevered and figured it out. THAT is what counts. Good for you.

Christopher likes this.
  9. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Wait till you hit 74....

Christopher likes this.