Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JKU Number II

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by MoparNorm, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

There must be an economic/environmental/production speed, advantage to so many whites, greys and silvers, because that is the majority of factory colors.
    I think a lot of it is dealer driven, ordering cars in the neutral-bland arena, to be able to sale them easier. The factory then thinks the neutral-bland colors are popular and makes more, then the dealerships look at their records and think, "we sell a lot of neutral-bland colors", and it becomes a never ending, self fulfilling prophesy, cycle of neutral-bland.
    Ralph Gilles told us that Jeep Green was the most popular color, for Wranglers in 2008, so naturally they promptly discontinued it.
    Every time a green comes out, it is quickly sold out. Gecko was very popular, as was the Dozer and Crush, along with Detonator Yellow and the strikingly blue color. The tan is a great color for Jeeps as well, but seems to sell slower, or perhaps it's availability?

Either way, it was a bit of work to find the Commando Green in the trim package and model I wanted. My dealer was great in not only tracking it down, but securing the dealer swap. The first two I found on-line were sold within hours, my dealer found the last one here in So-Cal.
    Kudos to Redlands Jeep!

2. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

The Wrangler can show off the bolder colours better than most :)
    Also, the more neutral colours might often be the choice of buyers due to thoughts of resale...just a theory.

Glad your dealer found what you wanted. Great looking example! Dealer swap is not usually a doable option in my region due to isolation and extra transportation costs.

3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Neutral colors also help you blend into the terrain for special Ops, like infiltrating the Jellybean factory....

[​IMG]

4. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

That's what I'm talking about. Almost-neon greens, yellows, oranges, reds, etc. Colors that really stand out when on beige or brown or grey terrain.

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Hanson Bumper should be done at the power coaters today! It goes on tomorrow. Then I'll be ready to install the Mopar towing package harness and backup camera.

6. JTE

JTE Well-Known Member

Now that we have the obligatory favorite jeep color discussion out of the way, I would like to see some shots of your front suspension and axle next time it's up in the air. Also I would like an opinion of the exhaust system you're using.

Thanks in advance.

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

[​IMG]
    All I have to show right now is placing the front springs. I can tell you it's a 4.5 Dual Sport (Nth) AEV lift, most of it from the old JKU. The Pro-Rock 44 is not yet installed as the RCV axles were backordered.
    We will be installing the Black Magic Dual Caliper 14" Brakes, on Reid knuckles this week, so I'll add more photos, as we go. My build kind of took a backburner as a few customers loved the concept from our Open House and we started right away building those. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also we haven't started the axles and gears yet to keep it a roller for the Open House and to be able to move it in and out of it's bay as we only have 4 bays and they have been busy!
    We are tossing around the idea of adding three more bays.

Exhaust system testing will be a priority!

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The back bumper is back from powder coat.

[​IMG]

9. MickM

MickM Active Member

She's looking sweet

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Thanks Mick!
    We're installing the gears and lockers this week!

11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I hate to bother you quite this much, but your ride really hits the right buttons and I keep finding reasons to come back and view pictures of it. :)

12. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Ha! No bother at all!
    Actually it sat all week, because of our workload and pressing work on our race Jeep.
    After an exhausting weekend, we will be back on the JK this Wednesday.
    While its been in the shop I've been driving the Hemi powered Wrangler and as much fun as that is, I really miss my 2013!!!

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Just a quick note, regarding the re-gear we performed this week. Changing the gears saved Chrysler about $1500, since my work is no longer covered by warranty. We found a pinion bearing completely destroyed and oval in shape, after less than 1,000 miles. Couldn't find anything wrong with the differential housing, so suspect a hurried installation process at Dana.

14. JTE

JTE Well-Known Member

You know how Jeepers are, the minute they hear about an issue they run out and check their rig. Since I have the same stock axles / ratios I'm going under. Was there any external or audible evidence yet?

Back on topic, you're rebuilding the existing axles rather than going with the Pro Rocks? Or are you building up the rear and upgrading to the PR on front? How did it feel running 37's with the 3.73?

I know, I ask a lot of questions.

15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

There was no audible signs, or symptoms, in fact it was running great, so I was really surprised when the near new gear was pulled out with such damage.
    Yes, Im rebuilding the Dana 44 HD rear, they have been bulletproof on two JKU's. the front was a complete replacement, ProRock 44, with 1/2" thick axle tubes, it's now stronger than a Dana 60, but at only 2/3 the weight. RCV axles, Reid Racing Knuckles, Black Magic Brakes with 14" rotors, double piston calipers, (all Mopar OEM parts) Currie high steer tie rod (it's off an F 450)
    I changed the gears to 5.38's so I never drove the 37's with the 3.73's but it wold have been very sluggish.
    I haven't re-calibrated the computer yet, so there is lots to do, it will likely sit until, the 10th because we have a shock tuning deadline, for the Race Jeep and a lot of work left to do on it. We worked the last 5 days straight on the Race Jeep and we are beat, working from 7AM to 9:30-10 PM, nearly every night! It's crunch time!

16. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Any new updates on the build?

17. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

We've been so busy getting the race Jeep finished, it's been back burner'd for a few weeks.
    We will get it together soon as we have a show in Pomona in a few weeks, so I'll finish up the updates.
    The Race Jeep did come alive last night, so that's almost ready for pre-running.

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

In the morning, we are transporting both the race Jeep and the Commando Green Wrangler, to OffRoad Expo. I'll try,to post some pictures in the afternoon, West Coast time.

19. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Cool looking forward to it!

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Sorry for the delay, going 24/7 and still on the road!
    Jeep is running great!