Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JKU Number II

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by MoparNorm, Jul 29, 2013.

1. dreinecke

dreinecke Active Member

Norm - the new JK looks really great!

2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Thanks!
    It's got a few more more things I have to add, before its "finished", but the Race Jeep has put the Wrangler on the back burner, but I need it for race chasing so I'll,have to get it done soon.

3. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

How about some pics of the race jeep while you're at it :)
    When does it debut?

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It debuted three weeks ago at Off Road Expo, at Fairplex.
    We started testing and pre-running two weeks ago and have worked out a lot of the bugs (which were few) and after shock tuning we have more than doubled our top speed.

I'll try to post when I get to a desk top, my photo storage site doesn't work, when using Safari.

Let me try this:

http://photos.imageevent.com/moparnorm/4540/IMG_0423.MOV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Very nice! Sounds like you're having fun. Keep the updates coming.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Will do. We're testing for the King of the Hammers race in Feb, then we plan to run the entire Ultra 4 season for the National Championship.

7. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Looking good!!!!

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Thanks guys!
    We are running again in a few days, hope to put up more pics.

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Heading back to the Dry Lake Bed in a few hours, to resume testing and complete our shock tuning. We are closing in on 500 miles on the car and have raised our cruising average to 86 mph across open desert, with our rev limiter still set at 4,000 rpm. Race limit will be 6200, so we are feeling good about our suspension design and potential.
    This week will be our biggest test as we plan to put about 300 more miles on the car, then begin our pre-race tear down.
    We are testing with the top teams, all past winners, or podium finishers, of the King of the Hammers race. We feel honored to be included in the top tier teams with zero race time on our rig.
    We are also one of the few teams sponsored by Falken Tires and our prototype tires aren't even available to the public for another 12-14 months, so we are really pleased with our acceptance as a first year team.
    This testing area is so remote, that there won't be cell reception, so hopefully in 7-9 days I'll have an update and photos.

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

11. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Is that your shops official youtube channel?

12. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

No that's our Friend Don Alexander, who owns Backcountry 4x4 Driving Experience.
    Don is a former editor of Circle Track Magazine, noted Author, Land Speed Record holder, friend and a member of our Race Team.
    In fact I had the pleasure of helping him this last Thursday as Ray Currie and I installed new axles and a lift kit on Don's JKU. Nothing more educational than spending a Day with Ray and John Currie and Don Alexander. ;)
    The video is a first draft, it still needs finishing, editing and credits, but we wanted to get something up for folks to see.

13. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Wow you keep some good company there Mr Norm!

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Ha!
    I've always said, if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room. ;)

15. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

So hows the new JK progressing?

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It's going well, slow, but well.
    The race team schedule has taken priority the last three months, so it's lacking a finished air compressor system, final wiring for rear auxiliary power and Ham and CB radios. All have to be installed by mid Jan, so it's close.
    I have new wheels to mount the tires on, sitting in my shop for weeks! And an ARB Fridge-Freezer bracket to mount in the back, other than that, it's close.
    Sure has been nice driving it this winter, remote start, heated seats, heated mirrors and automatic climate control, makes it enjoyable!

17. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Norm, I've got a question for you. You've said the old 3.8 wasn't really adequate and the 3.6 is mostly adequate (not quoting you, just the vibe I've gotten from your comments). Is there a reason you didn't do a V8 swap in your old Wrangler or wouldn't do one in your current rig? It seems like you enjoy the 3.6 more after the ram air and exhaust kit but I didn't know if there was a reason for not doing the engine swap.

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

We have performed Hemi swaps, however the state of CA, where I reside, is pretty tough on engine swaps, even though the Hemi's used are brand new, CA legal engines, the state doesn't allow modification until a vehicle is past 80,000 miles and out of Federal emission warrantee. We think that is stupid, but after 2 years, we are no closer to legally registering these swaps, into new Wranglers.

It's one of the reasons I lobby for the 3.0 VM in the Wrangler, over the 2.8. The 3.0 VM, would exceed the Hemi in torque and restore dignity to the 4 door Wrangler, which is very heavy. The JKU is about the equivalent of driving around in a Dodge 2500 and in fact I have installed the 2500 brakes on my JKU.

Your vibe is correct, while the 3.6 is a great improvement over the anemic 3.8 (sorry van lovers) it still lacks grunt at the bottom.
    In a head to head race with an equally equipped JKU, the 3.6 is close to the Hemi in acceleration, but the Hemi is quicker out of the hole, for maybe 50-75 feet, then the 3.6 stays with, but can't catch the 5.7.
    Plus, the Hemi just sounds so cool, the 3.6, after several experiments with exhaust systems, frankly sounds like a Mazda rotary, it is very buzzy and removal of the factory resonator will remove most of your fillings in about 45 seconds. ;)

I've tried the Banks, two versions of the Cherry Bomb, a different resonator, different tail pipe diameters and lengths, there is just no way to get rid of the V6 "angry hornet" sound.
    If I stumble across $20,000 I would consider a 6.4 Hemi swap.
    Thanks for the questions!

19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

on this Memorial Day, just kicking back and going through some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HotCarNut likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Norm, you inspired me to trade in my 2012 JKUR 6-speed manual in Dozer for a 2013 JKR A-5 in Commando Green! It's one of the best colors on a Jeep.

I really enjoyed having an automatic --and a shorter wheelbase-- last weekend!

I have a 2-inch lift right now, but my 35s are rubbing the weld seam in front of the rear tires. I may need to go up another half inch or so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HotCarNut likes this.