Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JKU Number II

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by MoparNorm, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Cool!
    Have you trimmed the weld seam?

2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hmmm....no, it hadn't occurred to me.

Sounds like butchery LOL

3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

You have to do it. For a while they were coming that way from the factory, then in 2013, they stopped. Don't know why.

Before
    [​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Use seam sealer to close the cut.

[​IMG]

4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

What do you have...37-inch tires and a 4-inch lift?

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

In that picture it was 3.5" AEV lift and 35's.
    On the Commando Green, it's an AEV 4.5" lift and 37's.
    Because 37" is 1" larger than 35's" (half the diameter) the relationship stays the same, 3.5 vs 4.5".

6. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

What gear ratio are you running with those 37" tires?

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Not completely sold that I shouldn't have stayed with the 5.13's I ran with the 35's,but I wanted bottom end (which I now have in spades) but I gave up a lot of freeway cruising mpg.
    I may move back up to 5.13's because the Pentastar and 5 speed has a lot more power than the 3.8 and 4 speed.

HotCarNut likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Heck yeah!

9. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Ive been seriously considering going 33X12.5 Goodyear duratracs on mine when I get it. I would also like to install an ARB or AEV bumper w winch and the AEV snorkel any suggestions guys?

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

What suggestions do you need? You just described your list and it's good.

My comments:
    Depending upon the type of use and driving...
    I'd take a look at Falken. Both the AT and MT give great performance for the buck. Again, depending upon the type of wheeling 33" tires, 2.5 AEV lift, 35" tires, 3.5 AEV lift. It will ride, handle and perform better than stock.
    AEV bumper is pricey, but my choice. Especially if you later add a winch, the winch is completely below the radiator.
    Warn Zenon winch, its the only winch you will ever need to buy. You can find cheaper winches and you can buy them twice and risk failures on the trail...or spend more, one time.

11. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Warn Zeon was the very winch I was looking at. When it comes to parts I want quality thats why I was looking at AEV and ARB bumpers and the warn winches. Would I need a lift with the 33s? What about the breather line extensions ive seen guys run those all over the place. Is there a proper place to run them for "best results". I will definately look at the Faulkans.

12. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Rubicon's and Sahara's come with 32", so the 33's aren't much of a stretch and, again wholly dependent upon what and where and the terrain, you might be fine, or you may need additional ground clearance that comes from a lift or taller tires.
    It's your call, as I cannot say for you, what and where you will end up doing with it.
    I've seen guys spend $30,000 and never take it off road because it either scared them or they decided getting dirty wasn't for them.
    I've seen guys spend $300 on used tires, no lift, a beater Grand Cherokee and wheel,it three times a week, because it's all they can afford, and someday they dream of having that built Rubicon.
    It's something you need to work out for yourself and ease your way into, I only caution you to think it out all the way to conclusion so that you don't end up re-doing some expensive items such as deciding 33" are too small and having to redo tires and lift and gear ratios.
    Plan twice spend once...(apologize to measure twice-cut once ;) )

I worked this out when I was 8 years old and I've never grown up...

13. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

I ordered the Willys which has the Rubicon wheels and tires and coils. Im looking for a good all arounder not to extreme one way or the other. I didnt wanna over mod it because if the JL comes with a diesel and retains its solid axles ill be trading mine in. If JL has ben Manley'd then I was gonna just build the snot out of mine with prorock axles 35 or 37 tires ect...

MoparNorm likes this.
  14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Be sure to measure well before you order a Zeon winch. I found out it is too long for most standard bumper openings --I went with the Mopar "Rock Crawler" bumper with winch provisions.

The Zeon measures 2 inches longer than the Warn 9.5cti, which was the mainstay Warn winch I've seen on JKs, prior to Zeon. The 9.5cti fits PERFECTLY; I had to have them exchanged.

You can always cut a bigger opening in the bumper, but it doubt you want to cut a $1,500 AEV bumper :)

16. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Oh thanks I wasnt aware of that. Ill have to make sure of that when I get closer to purchasing.
    Kinda torn between this
    [​IMG]

And this
    [​IMG]

17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Personally, I prefer the full bumper look --top pic

That's one handsome bumper!

Jeepnut likes this.
  18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The Warn Zeon fits perfectly into the AEV bumper.
    The 8,000-10,000-12,000 models are the same identical size, the only change is motor and gearing.
    12,000 lb pictured.

[​IMG]

I had a stubby bumper on my last JKU, it didn't protect my stock fenders enough.
    The AEV full length does and its "cut" up high enough to allow full tire contact with just about any obstacle.

Jeepnut likes this.
  19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yup, that's one great looking bumper. I'm jealous!

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

A closer shot.

[​IMG]

HotCarNut likes this.