Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JKU Number II

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by MoparNorm, Jul 29, 2013.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Did you got AEV front AND rear?

2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

NO, the AEV rear bumper doesn't tuck the hitch up inside like I wanted. So I modified an AEV bumper mount to fit a Hanson rear bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Cool.

I saw that same gas can last weekend on White Mountain. How much does it hold?

What's that number on your back window?

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The can (Fuel Caddy) holds 10.2 gallons and most people don't even notice it is there.

4540, is our Race Jeep number. Ultra 4 Pit Support Vehicles must display the car number to be in the pits at King of the Hammers.

[​IMG]

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Also, note the ARB bumper places the winch up into about 50% of the radiator grill. Some folks have experienced overheating because of winch, hoop bar and lights block the radiator.
    That one reason I chose the AEV hoop less bumper.

6. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

And this is why I ask the folks that have done this before. Yall have the experience that is required to make an informed decision.

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Experience just means I've done it wrong enough times to know the best way now... ?

Part of the reason I post is to hopefully save someone the grief of doing it twice.
    But, there is always that lead a horse to water but can't make it drink thing...;)

HotCarNut likes this.
  8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Just a note, the Falken MT's that are run in the KOH race, are coming to market sometime soon, possibly July, in 33", 35", 37 and 38" diameters. Great race and street tested compound.

9. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Thats what yall run on your race Jeep correct?

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Yes, we run the AT, which is the highway tread and I groove the tread to be more aggressive. They are quiet, on pavement, yet the compound has surprising grip, this is a case of not judging a book by its cover.

The MT tire is the same basic construction and compound with a more aggressive tread, which eliminates the need to custom groove them.
    We don't have tread longevity results yet on the new MT, but Id expect it to be a bit less than the AT, simply because of the aggressive tread design.
    Grip and lateral bite is above normal, exceeding the results we had with the BFG KM2's and Goodyear MTR's.

11. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

These tires are coming later this year right?

12. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

As early as July I hear.

13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes, I too wanted the winch to sit low.

The Mopar bumper also nestles the winch low between the frame rails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Yeah, Im not sure who makes that bumper. The"Mopar bumper" was originally the AEV, but apparently they went to another source to lower costs. Don't know if it's Terra-Flex, or...???
    It's a modular, correct? With remove able ends? MetalCloak and Rubicon Express had a bumper similar to that.
    Part of my indifference to cost was because AEV is built in the USA (Detroit to be exact)
    Smittybuilt for example, is mostly sourced from China.

15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Correct, the Mopar bumper was built by AEV, but something happened that AEV stopped supplying them (probably AEV couldn't meet Mopar's cost requirements) and Mopar had find another source. My Mopar bumper is now supplied by Crown Automotive out of China.

Mine is not a modular bumper; it's all one piece. You must be thinking of this other Mopar bumper introduced with the Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition, and now standard on the Rubicon X Package: http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/1401-2014-jeep-wrangler-unlimited/

I also try to keep my money in the US, but the price difference between the basic Mopar bumper I got, the modular Mopar bumper and the AEV bumper you got is a bit too rich for me: $600, $1,200 and $1,500 respectively --and the rear bumpers are at least that much or more.

All Mopar winch bumpers (your AEV bumper can also be purchased through the Mopar catalog) mount the winch low, between the frame rails. By contrast, as much as I like Warn Industries' US-built quality and design, their bumpers mount the winch above the rails, blocking the grille opening.

Besides the ARB bumper, which is also very expensive, I don't like most other aftermarket bumpers: I find most of them look too weird and give the Jeep a chop-shop look. :)

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

That bumper in your link is one of them, but not the specific one I was thinking of. It showed up for a short time on a special edition Wrangler, can't remember the name of the special edition right now...was there another COD Wrangler after MW3?

17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

There was the MOAB based on the Sahara, but it used the bumper you have; the Willys and the Altitude and Polar Editions but those had the standard plastic bumper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

I picked up my Jeep today and im so happy! Trying to get some pics to post!

MoparNorm and aldo90731 like this.
  19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Congrats!

What did you get?

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I think he bought the Willys Wheeler???