Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JKU Number II

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by MoparNorm, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Yep I got the 2014 Willys Wheeler Hydro blue 2 door with the hardtop.

HotCarNut, MoparNorm and aldo90731 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Jeepnut likes this.
  3. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I've seen Chinese bumpers fail while winching, rip completely off the frame, bolts pulled right through the metal bumper. Metal tore around the bolts leaving a small section still,securely bolted while the rest of the bumper and winch lays on the ground. (No ASTM in china even though it's supposed to be international now) for the extra few hundred dollars vs. my many thousands of dollars of Jeep, I'd spend more for the peace of mind. ;)

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

My Made in China Mopar bumper is as solid as they come.

I trust Mopar to require its suppliers to meet OE specifications, regardless of wherever they may be located, and I trust my CDJR dealer to sell me Mopar accessories that will fit my Jeep perfectly.

My buddy had to return his Made in USA Olympic bumper because it would not align with the frame mountings on his JK.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The problem being, the production runs are not always the prototype and test run parts.
    No doubt that there are high quality parts in china, there is also no doubt that without an on site quality control inspection, what you get is a crapshoot. The prototypes are often of excellent quality and metallurgy, but after the initial run, there is no guarantee.

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I'd argue the main difference is that I can drive myself to the local Olympic office and yell at them in English --or en espaƱol-- about their crummy design, their shoddy workmanship and demand my money back. It's a lot tougher to do that if they were in China. :D

But I cannot ignore it when the price difference is so great, especially if a US brand I trust is stamped on it.

I hear you about buying "US Made" products. This is why I give Chrysler my first consideration, and Ford my second; and why I never step into a Walmart --where 90% of the store comes from China.

8. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Got my first Jeep wave back today, dude in a heavily modified JKU.

MoparNorm likes this.
  9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Ha! Ha! That's great.
    In certain areas of the SoCal mountains, 3 out of 4 vehicles are Jeeps, you learn to just leave your hand up... :lol:

HotCarNut and Jeepnut like this.
  10. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Well here there are a ton of Wranglers but alot of yuppies buy them so waves are rare it seems that only the hardcore guys wave. Non Wrangler buyers forget it they look at you like your crazy! Either way I will carry the wave torch and wave till my wrist gets tired!!!

MoparNorm likes this.
  11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Well, your observations are pretty accurate, newer Jeep drivers of the pavement Jeeps are consumers and not aware of the Jeep Wave, however the one time you decide not to wave and do get a wave too late to return it, you feel bad all day long! ;)

Jeepnut likes this.
  12. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Your right I know I mised a few Jeeps yesterday when I picked it up because I was paying attention to traffic and getting used to the Jeep. I feel like I did something wrong but hey ill make it up to them lol! Now its a game with me to get a wave from the Street Jeeps. I was looking at the easter eggs on it with a buddy earlier today and I like the little grey MB's on the black wheels.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Did you find the one in the cup holder? ;)

14. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

The sarge grill yea

15. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

OK so earlier I left work for a bit to run an errand and on the way back I pull up right beside the Jeep that gave me my first wave. Theres no mistaking it, it's a pinkish purple pastel kinda color with pink beadlock trim ring. I finally get up even with the driver and look over to wave and it's a smoking hot girl in Army fatigues. I think I'm in love! :lol:

HotCarNut and MoparNorm like this.
  16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I was having lunch with my daughter yesterday and I exchanged waves with another Wrangler and my daughter lamented, "I never get any waves..."
    I didn't have the heart to tell her it's because she drives a Patriot... Some things are just too hard for a Dad to do...

17. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

That's funny. I don't think it's the Vehicle purely it's more the class of consumer Jeep brings in now. The only waves i get back are from Wrangler owners and even then its 90% two door 10% JKU. But i refuse to stop i just wave and smile like an idiot.

Edit: I don't know what kinda male Jeepers yall have out there but if a girl waves at me I'm waving back :lol:

MoparNorm likes this.
  18. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Well I just joined the Wrangler fraternity (I was already firmly a member of the Jeep fraternity)!!! I bought a 2012 Wrangler Sahara with painted hard top and fenders. I'll post some pics this weekend.

Norm: thanks for all of the advice! I've already started working on my wife about the mild 2.5" AEV lift and 35" tires. Only issue is that I'm thinking about giving this to my daughter in a couple of years when she turns 17. Not sure I want her to really be able to go "deep woods" on me! ;)

Jeepnut and MoparNorm like this.
  19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Congrats!!!
    Waiting for pictures!

HotCarNut likes this.
  20. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Congrats! I can't wait to see the pics!

HotCarNut likes this.