Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JL vs JK at the sand dunes.

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by ramajama, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

FreeLantz and RonGD like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Thank you for sharing!

I have gone up sand dunes like that with on my JKs on aftermarket tires without getting stuck.

There are a million possible reasons why that JK didn't make it all the way up. What is not mentioned in the video is that the factory JK tires suck in sand, snow and ice. Especially the mud tires on Rubicon. That's why many owners resell them on Craigslist as soon as they get a Rubicon.

At the very least, this video shows that this time they did their homework picking offroad tires for JL. But it does no service to Jeep overall to undercut its existing products like this.

My 2012 JKUR floating on the sand dunes on 35x12.5 General Grabber tires
    [​IMG]

#2 aldo90731, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    BASONE88 likes this.
  3. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Well...I am reasonably sure that is probably cherry picked video. I have no idea who the woman is who filmed it or what her motivation is. So Im sure the JK did just fine most of the time while the JL probably had its struggles as well. Course, I dont own a JK nor do I have any experience with it.

BTW, I love the General Grabbers. I had a set on my RamCharger. They rocked pretty everything.

FreeLantz and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Mattiek27

Mattiek27 Active Member

Rather than debate capabilities, tires, etc, I'm going to appreciate this for what it is. Kudos to the FCA/Jeep team for essentially trolling Jeep owners in their natural element. Offer not only a quick peak at mules or pilot builds, but show it off doing what it's designed to do.

Seriously, what other manufacturer does this as often as FCA has recently? This is almost better than the Trackhawk doing high altitude testing in Colorado towing a new Compass.

It means nothing, but it makes me smile.

BASONE88, Ruptured Duck and Prabhjot like this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I do not want to suppress your enthusiasm, but Jeep has done this for decades.....and so do other automakers.

Many Jeepers who use their vehicles on trails have run into Jeep engineers testing equipment. Much gets discussed and it is how many sites get their "leaks".

Also, nearly every US auto company does high-altitude testing in the same part of Colorado. It is where many spy shots are taken.

Just to inform you, there are several sites around the world where auto companies do high-altitude, hot weather (desert), cold weather and other testing. Most insiders know where these places are located.

It is not something special to FCA or any other company.

You are just watching FCA stuff and think it is cool........which it is cool.......but FCA is just one of many using those sites.

6. Mattiek27

Mattiek27 Active Member

Seriously?

I'm sorry, but there is a significant difference between running mules/pilots at those sites like every automaker does, and racing a current product up a sand dune in front of a crowd; or using a trailer with a recently released product on it for towing at altitude testing rather than a simple box trailer.

Call it whatever you want, but it certainly isn't the "typical." If you're certain it is, go ahead and find videos or pictures another manufacturer racing pilots against owners or towing what is essentially a billboard for another product in the lineup...

I even pointed out it means nothing. It's just amusing...

#6 Mattiek27, Aug 9, 2017
    BASONE88 and DarkSky like this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Silverado high-altitude testing towing a Silverado: Spied! 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD - High Altitude Testing - The Fast Lane Car (at http://www.tflcar.com/2013/08/spied-2015-chevrolet-silverado-3500-hd-high-altitude-testing/ )

Many manufacturers show up at Moab, UT with things to test.

Ruptured Duck and GasAxe like this.
  8. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Typical or not - at this late stage in JL testing, it does seem this was done to create buzz as much as to gather test results.

crmarczak, xjgary and suzq044 like this.
  9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Is there a problem with that?:confused:

TripleT and suzq044 like this.
  10. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Definitely not!!

TripleT, UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  11. Mattiek27

Mattiek27 Active Member

So in your eyes, towing a current product rather than a simple box trailer isn't any level of showmanship or attention grabbing? It's not unique?

Yes, many manufacturers show up to Moab. Do they race the general public up sand dunes in Michigan?

Seriously, I'm on a Mopar site and pointing out the fun FCA is having with this, and people want to debate it. Wtf....

djsamuel and DarkSky like this.
  12. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

To be fair, the Silverado HD wasn't towing the latest Silverado 1500. Deciding to have a Trackhawk towing a Compass would obviously be for buzz given that they were both new products... Not that it really matters at this point.

I didn't watch the video but if they were really racing up the dunes in the JL against current owners that's pretty cool.

#12 DarkSky, Aug 9, 2017
    djsamuel and UN4GTBL like this.
  13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Again, what's the argument here? Jeep is teasing the new Wrangler, just like camoed sports cars drive the nurburgring.

TripleT, ramajama, suzq044 and 3 others like this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

But Porsche shows the newest and greatest 911 driving past R8s and M6s...not past older 911s.

If Jeep is really going make this Wrangler more civil, user-friendly and more capable, then show it beating a 4Runner TRD, a Raptor or something of the sort.

15. TripleT

Level III Supporter

BINGO!!!!! it is just awesome

BASONE88 and djsamuel like this.
  16. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Nice to see the testers out having fun with the new product. Its some buzz, nothing more.
    I spend time in loose sand with my 2500, never running at high speed however. Airing down the tires makes the biggest difference i find, not what brand is being run.

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Silver Lake Sand Dunes, is a very popular area for offroad enthusiast. Many manufacturers have tested there before, as of lately the Colorado ZR2 was out there testing. So its not uncommon to see prototypes in camo up there. It's not difficult to see prototypes wearing camo anywhere in Michigan. I was coming home last night on I-94 at 10:30pm and was driving along side the new 2018 Corvette ZR1 in its zebra camo. So for them to be doing final calibrations in public not at all is it an unusual thing.

Ruptured Duck likes this.