Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JL Wrangler shows up in dealer computers with features/options/packages

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by kilgore, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

In any case, we’re still talking about something with more torque “where you need it” than the 3.8; and the eight speed takes care of a LOT of problems!!!!

Not enough torque? Drop first gear! ;)

Can someone review this for factual errors?

The recent revelation that the next-generation, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL will have an optional full-time all wheel drive system struck a nerve with some, who saw it as being inappropriate for the vehicle.

In its “Rubicon-capable-only” days, Jeep sold CJs and Wranglers with rear wheel drive only; today, all Wranglers drive all four wheels. The current “JK” has part-time four wheel drive, which stays in rear wheel drive unless the driver pulls a lever to active the other wheels. That dramatically increases the turning radius and wears out the tires quickly, unless the Jeep is being driven on a “giving” surface.

Most Wranglers are not taken off-road, though all are capable of tackling very serious trails (and land between trails). Even when Jeep was very much a niche brand, selling CJ, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee, market research showed very few buyers took their new Jeeps on land that, say, an AWD Charger couldn’t handle. (CJs and Wranglers still dominate off-road meets, but that’s a fraction of the hundreds of thousands sold each year.)

Most buyers want a vehicle that can handle bad weather, not large rocks. For that purpose, full-time all wheel drive is often a better choice. It can be left on at all times, doesn’t affect the turning radius, and cuts fuel usage by staying in RWD unless all wheels are needed. Part-time systems lock up the torque to front and rear at 50/50; there is no slipping in the transfer case, so it has to slip between the tire and road or ground, because tires turn at different speeds when making turns.

Tailoring the vehicle to the actual buyer, rather than to the image, is likely the main reason why a full-time system is coming to Jeep — from appearances. It might be the same setup as the one used in the Grand Cherokee, or it might be similar to a past Jeep system which worked mechanically but allowed slip.

According to reliable source oh2o, buyers of the Jeep Wrangler JL Sport and Sahara will have a choice between the Command-Trac part-time system and the Selec-Trac full-time system. All Rubicon buyers will get the Rock-Trac heavy duty full time system.

The Rock-Trac, unique to the Rubicon, has a 4:1 ratio in low gear, for crawling very, very slowly, with a high level of control for the most demanding situations. The Selec-Trac has a 2.72:1 ratio, which is good enough for all common uses and serious off-roading as well. The current Command-Trac part-time 4x4 system also has a 2.72:1 ratio.

According to Allpar source “Ruptured Duck,” ordering for the JL will start in October 2017, possibly only for the Unlimited, and definitely with the V6 engine only. The first Wrangler is slated to be built in November, two full weeks before the official reveal in Los Angeles.

The first two-door Wranglers will start in February; while they are superior in tough off-road situations, they are far less convenient and sales of the four-door are much higher than sales of the two-door.

The Wrangler JK is slated to leave production at the end of March 2018. The four-cylinder Hurricane engine is to become the base engine in mid-to-late 2018, while the VM diesel will become an option at that time. (The Rubicon may keep the gasoline V6 as its standard engine.)

Export Wranglers are to get a 2.2 liter four-cylinder diesel.

aldo90731, Zagnut27, wilbur and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

@Dave Z completely agreed!

Mike

3. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

@Dave Z I would only note that the info I got was from a dealer and I have no way to confirm if it was something they put together of if it really came from FCA.

Just want to make that clear.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

OK - thanks.

5. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

And the 2.2L Diesel is supplied by Fiat Powertrain. It is currently used in the export market KL Cherokee.

Mike

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

2.0 with or without BSG, that makes some difference since most BSG system are used also for their e-boost capability.

How much weight is expected to decrease since use of aluminium doors, hood, ultra high strength and similar steels, plastic composites, ... ?

xjgary likes this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I predict weight will slightly increase.

wilbur likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Agreed.

Mike

9. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Just a note, but the CJ was never available with the 4.0. The 4.0 debuted in '87 on the YJ, XJ and MJ. The CJ at the end of its run was still using the 4.2L, an engine high on torque but very low on HP. :oops:

GasAxe, Erik Latranyi and xjgary like this.
  10. zack_falcon

zack_falcon Active Member

Is it any good?

11. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I have never driven it. The Fiat fans all say good about it and Top Gear talked good about it.

Mike

#211 Mike V., Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    zack_falcon likes this.
  12. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

The AMC 304 V8 was offered in the CJ-7.

13. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

not to nit pick, but the first few years of YJ used 4.2 (I had an 89 with the 4.2). I think the 4.0 appeared in or around 1991.

GasAxe and Erik Latranyi like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Good corrections.

xjgary likes this.
  15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Thank you for the summary, Dave.

The only thing I'd add is that the reappareance of Select-Trac strikes a positive chord if it represents a reintroduction of the prior full-time/part-time 4WD; but FCA's choice of name strikes a nerve if it represents an all-new electronic AWD system.

If the latter, FCA could easily name it Select-Trac II. This is a practice Jeep has followed in past with both Quadra-Trac and Quadra-Drive to avoid confusion in the market.

From my personal experience, FCA provides dealers very little information when ordering opens. I have been in situations where the dealer taking my order could not clarify for me what the difference was between the 430N and 730N radios, or the difference between "leather seats" and the "sound and leather package". These options are usually priced hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars apart, and money adds up quickly.

Wrangler buyers, especially those placing orders, know the difference between a 4.10 and a 3.73 gear ratio. I think FCA should be very clear with Select-Trac to avoid the ongoing confusion between an electronic AWD and a full-time 4WD.

It becomes very expensive for a dealer to try to rectify an order, and difficult to retain a customer, once the vehicle arrives at the dealership with the incorrect equipment.

#215 aldo90731, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    guyverfanatic, JKU12 and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yes, I agree. I'll update it.

17. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Yup...you are correct! Fingers worked faster than my brain. I had one too...lol.

GasAxe and Bionicrooster like this.
  18. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

I've driven 4-cylinder YJ and TJs. They're completely acceptable, and have a worse power-to-weight ratio than the 3.8 JKs. A 200-250 hp or so 4 cylinder would be a perfectly fine base engine.

I've see a 1.6L 90hp Suzuki Samurai turn giant 44" tires. It made it through a huge mud pit that blown V8 trucks were getting stuck in. The only thing that really matters off road is the gearing. The military's old 2.5 ton trucks only had 145 HP, in diesel or gas trim, and they worked fine off road. They weighed three times what a JK does.

19. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

But how satisfactory would they be as a daily driver in lots of traffic?
    The Wrangler needs to live in both worlds.

Mike V., dmcdonald and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

The 4 banger YJ's and TJ's were acceptable, but not very pleasurable and Jeep sells on pleasure. A turbo 4 will need to be tuned for low end torque and forgo the temptation to produce lofty horsepower numbers in the high rpm range. I'm not enthusiastic about the return of 4 cylinder engines in the Wrangler, but I think the Wrangler engineers can pull it off.

UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.