Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JL Wrangler shows up in dealer computers with features/options/packages

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by kilgore, Aug 7, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Mopar probably won't show off a Mopar loaded JL there, but expect the Moab Easter Safari Jeeps to be at SEMA...

3345ac61ce32ce09ddf3c9414e9f127c.jpg

2. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy getting up close to the Moab builds every year at SEMA. Just don't want to make that flight all the way back out to LA several weeks later.

3. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

Couple questions for those in the know....

the Hurricane engine will be a base engine, but not until Q4 2018?

Which part time 4wd system does the current wrangler use in Sport form?

4. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

Q4 2018, factory for the Hurricane will have be completed and should be producing enough to keep up with the JL and then my guess will be the Cherokee.

Wil

Bionicrooster likes this.
  5. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

If you are asking for the difference between previous Command-Trac and Selec-Trac...
    Both have a 2 wheel drive setting
    Both have a 4Hi setting
    Both have a 4Lo setting
    4Hi and 4Lo settings provide a locked 50/50 front/rear split of torque. No slippage in the transfer case. So slippage must occur between the tire and the surface you are driving on.
    Slippage is necessary because tires turn at different speeds when making turns, etc.
    In other words these are "part time" settings as they cannot be used on all types of surfaces (dry asphalt and concrete are examples of things that do not allow the tires to slip easily which can lead to mechanical damage in the drive train components).

Selec-Trac - offers an additional setting over the Command Trac which is a "full time" (4Hi) setting which allows slippage in the transfer case. This allows use on high traction surfaces (dry pavement as an example) without it leading to mechanical damage to drive train components.

xjgary and Prabhjot like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

With Command-Trac, if you forget to take it out of 4wd-Hi and then try to go around a corner...for example, in a parking garage...it will definitely remind you. And it's not polite about it either. It's a great system, but definitely not for use on dry surfaces as you said.

Dave Z, JKU12 and xjgary like this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Hurricane is underway already.

Hurricane may not be the base engine.

xjgary and wilbur like this.
  8. Ruptured Duck

Good to know. the info I posted was from a memo sent to the dealers.

9. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

That was my thought too...

10. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

So Q4 will be the alternative engines and I presume the same timing for the JL release. Does this mean the JL will debut with all available engines?

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

From the sounds of it, both gas engines will be available at launch. Pentastar orders will be filled quicker to allow for Hurricane orders to be built smoothly. Diesel comes towards December.

@oh2o might know more.

12soldier and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

If our information about Cherokee is correct, the 2.4 is the base engine with the Hurricane and 3.2 Pentastar as optional.

Making the Hurricane the base engine for Wrangler nullifies the "premium" you pay to get it in the Cherokee.

I am thinking Pentastar is base, Hurricane (with good fuel economy) will be optional and EcoDiesel a much more expensive option.

xjgary and Mike V. like this.
  13. Ruptured Duck

Attached is what was sent to me by a dealer. Not sure if it was generated in house or if it came from FCA. Just so it's clear as to why i posted the comment about the 2.0L being the base motor.

2018 Wangler.gif

AlfaCuda, kilgore and BASONE88 like this.
  14. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Your numbers might be off. I have a fully loaded Sahara 2012 and it was nowhere near $50k.

15. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I'm betting the Hurricane is base in the Wrangler in order to reduce the CAFE hit they take on Wrangler sales today. Much easier to get people to pay more for an engine with more cylinders than less.... We'll see. I also think initial production will be all V6, but it will still be the "upgrade engine". The base engine will lag... Thinking they will prime the pump with loaded JL's.

suzq044 likes this.
  16. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

So the Hurricane (at least in the Wrangler) is still well over a year away?

17. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I think if they charge for the Pentastar when a 6 cylinder was standard for more than 10 years is not going to go over well, especially if the base price rises.

Again, I am just speculating since the prevailing theory is that the 2.0 Hurricane will not be the base engine in the Cherokee.....it will still be the older 2.4. Of course, that could change.

I would be OK if Cherokee had the 2.0 Hurricane as standard and 3.2 Pentastar as optional.

Wrangler would have 2.0 Hurricane or 3.6 Pentastar as standard and 3.0 EcoDiesel as optional.

18. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Active Member

If The JL with the Huricane will not be available until 4th quarter 2018, will that not make it a 19 model, with the 18 continuing with 3.6 only for 18?

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Perhaps it will depend on the performance numbers for Hurricane vs Pentastar as to how the engine lineup is perceived. Folks won't be upset about having the 4 as base if the numbers are close to the 6 numbers.

And if the numbers are close enough, could we see the eventual phasing out of the Pentastar for Wrangler as Ford did when dropping the 6 for Mustang in favor of the turbo 4? Just thinking out loud...can you smell the smoke? :)

xjgary and Erik Latranyi like this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Two words: no-cost option.