Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judge says a Maserati EV is still a Maserati

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Erik Latranyi, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

From the article:

When is a Maserati not a Maserati?

When it's an electric or hybrid vehicle, Maserati North America says.

Or tried to say.

Among other proposed changes to its franchise agreement, Maserati North America wanted to reserve the right to eliminate electric and hybrid-electric vehicles from the definition of Maserati vehicles, thus potentially allowing the automaker to withhold those vehicles from its current franchised dealerships.

So, Marchionne wanted to break dealer contracts for EVs and sell them factory direct. It is actions like this that cause dealers hate FCA and customers are treated like crap.

From Automotive News: Judge says a Maserati EV is still a Maserati (at http://www.autonews.com/article/20171204/OEM05/171209955/judge-says-a-maserati-ev-is-still-a-maserati )

BobbiBigWheels and valiant67 like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Wow, that’s pretty dumb.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I get it. Tesla gets away with selling direct, but trying to do it this way is just plain dumb.

valiant67 likes this.
  4. BASONE88

Supporter

So I follow you, where do you extract "Marchionne wanted to break dealer contracts for EVs and sell them factory direct."?

I don't understand why Maserati North America has taken the position they have and likewise don't understand your interpretation of it.

5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

FCA wanted to claim that EVs with a Maserati badge are not covered by the Maserati dealer agreement. This would allow FCA to sell EVs with a Maserati badge directly to the public, bypassing franchised Maserati dealers.

Maserati North America then directly lied to the dealers when it said Maserati has no EVs in the plans because Marchionne made an announcement about them earlier.

6. BASONE88

Supporter

Pardon my ignorance, but, sources on "wanted to claim" and "directly lied"..?

7. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

So, you think that everyone went into court and lied about what FCA was trying to do? This was before a judge and that is where the information comes from.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Facts and interpretation of facts are something different.

Maserati North America proposed to change the contract with dealers.
    The modifications included also that electric vehicles and hybrids to not being included in the renewed contract.
    A Maserati North America said that Maserati was not developing EV vehicles, the judge said that Maserati website was writing a different thing.

The change was rejected since "unfair" by a judge.

And here ends the facts.

Than there are the interpretations, like that the new contract could open the chance that the manufacturer could sell directly to end customers.
    But that are just speculations, because I could write that only a sub-group of actual dealerships would sell the Maserati EV or I could also write that there will be no car sales, but only car renting through different companies offering EV only vehicles or I could write that a new EV specialized network could be made with a specialized service network that could go alongside sales or being separated entities from sales.

The news is that outside U.S.A. the Maserati electric vehicle could be offered in alternative ways than "traditional" car sell to customers.
    But also this last is only my speculation, is not a fact.

M.O.D., jorisr and ScramFan like this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

The FACT is that FCA wanted to sell cars with a Maserati badge outside the current franchise system. That is utterly dumb in so many ways I can't write it all.

The FACT is that Maserati North America lied about developing EV vehicles. Another dumb thing. So, they wanted to change the dealer contracts for cars that will not exist because we are not developing them.......oh, nevermind that website over there. Nevermind the CEO's words.

Really? You wish to defend this?

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

11. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Thank you, that is much, much worse. Totally abusive to dealers.

Oh, and it is still STUPID to try to change a Maserati franchise agreement so they cannot sell Maseratis simply because they are powered by electricity.

12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It seems a concerted uhmm semi-concerted or casual, who knows, push of automakers since, but I could not read because reads limit, since Audi and also BMW tried to change contracts with dealerships in last year or something more.

13. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Contract changes are always done.

This story is about the way FCA tried to make the changes.......in a PowerPoint Presentation?

Telling the dealers to open their books and share financial results with partners?

Lying about the Maserati EV program?

Is this the way that FCA creates good dealer relations?

All of this was unnecessary. All of this was done in a very dishonest manner.

No wonder FCA dealers give some of the worst customer service in the industry.

14. BASONE88

Supporter

I think FCA would just like a level playing field with Tesla.

Simply because - the way Tesla can sell their cars - is widely considered unfair in the auto industry(but they have this EV thing going for them..so).

As a side note, from what I have read and heard, Teslas are not the best of quality(but they are considered "high-end" and "luxury").

Electrified Maserati then, equates to, Tesla. You ought to be able to buy one the same way, no?

ScramFan likes this.
  15. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I agree that the playing field is not level. Tesla is given an unfair advantage by the very same government that so many trust to ensure there is a level playing field.

BASONE88, valiant67 and somber like this.