Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

July winners and losers

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by Dave Z, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

July was a rough month for some cars and a good month for others. The soon-to-be-dropped Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart continued their plunge, with the 200 sinking by 64% and Dart falling by 42%. The 200 could be sustainable at its current 66,000 sales per year (annualized from July) but the Dart would be marginal at 40,000. The 200’s drop was actually less severe than it had been — year to date, it’s down by 64%. […]
    Read the whole post here.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

HMMM, I wonder if drops in sales like this have anything to do with announcement of the dropping of the Dart and the 200, especially considering I don't recall any replacement for either of them. Anyone getting little tingles of DeSoto, or Plymouth?

Dave Z likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yes, I think the Chrysler brand may be time limited.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Wow, I dislike this post but I have to agree with it.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I think as we consider the reality, we also have to consider:

* WPC considered Plymouth to be extremely important, and every CEO after him thought it had leprosy.
    * WPC himself ended the Maxwell brand, shutting down decades of accomplishments (and the man Maxwell himself was replaced by a brand of string.)
    * Chrysler is probably always going to be associated with the 1970s near bankruptcy and the 2000s bankruptcy

Again, for upper class, I think Hudson or Imperial would work well - Hudson's probably more practical, and you can claim the Hornet, for what it's worthy, while Imperial gives you LeBaron and Fifth Avenue - and for the mainstream car, I'd launch a new Maxwell, merge Fiat into it, and call it a day.

Most likely I would not even bother with the upper end brand and would just bring out Maxwell to let Dodge be Dodge, and fold Chrysler into Maxwell after the 200 is dropped - keep Chrysler going, launch any new cars (e.g. 100) as Maxwells, fold 500L and 500X and bring them back as Maxwells with the next-generation four-cylinder once that's available, but once the Chrysler 300 reaches the end of the line - snap! no more Chrysler. Pacifica goes to Maxwell and the large FWD car, if one really exists, gets a new name (for a new car). I'd also feel free to bring back any appropriate Plymouth names then, because Plymouth and Maxwell were the same.

It's “heritage complaint,” too.

6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

When I hear the word "Maxwell", I think "Silver Hammer". :cool:

(look it up, kiddies!)