AF: Just got a Magnum ... what do I need to know? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a Magnum ... what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by scooterodell, Oct 26, 2019.

1. scooterodell

scooterodell Member

Hi Allpar!

I just got a Magnum SXT 3.5l AWD. What do I need to know in terms of maintenance and general upkeep to keep it on the road as long as possible?

Thanks!

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. What year and how many miles?
    Do you know any of the car's past history? Follow recommendations in the owners or service manual. I would want to change the driveline fluids (trans/filter, PTU, diffs) if over 60K miles. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, p/s fluids do wear out and should be flushed.
    Cabin filter is usually forgotten.
    Plugs are good for 100K miles.
    Tires wearing OK? Any funny noises?
    Use the recommended OEM fluids and parts.

tomit likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Don’t overlook the timing belt.

4. scooterodell

scooterodell Member

2005 with 130,000 miles

Thanks for the input!

5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Get an original service manual for it.

It'll tell you everything you need to know.

:cool:

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Show us a picture. One of the ministers in our church has one with the 3.5 HO. That thing will fly and his wife drives it like a NASCAR driver. I told him if he ever decides to sell it, to please let me know. He drives a 2016 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi.

pug-man likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You think the 3.5 is fast until you drive the same vehicle with the 3.6. Of course that's not an option with the Magnum.
    In 2010 I test drove a Challenger and a 300 with the 3.5. Nice enough power, but not great. I went with a Hemi 300C. Two years later I test drove a 3.6 powered Challenger and I was sold.

Shane Estabrooks and Panterasr9 like this.
  8. HemiJeepMagnum

HemiJeepMagnum Active Member

I have a hopped up (about 420 hp) 05 5.7 Hemi Magnum with 90K on the clock and an 06 300C SRT8 (about 460 hp) with almost 170K on it (same LX platform), so yours with 130K on it will be needing front end work unless it's already been done. You may also need shocks/struts too. My SRT had not been touched and at about 164K I rebuilt the entire front end....all bushing and some of the bushings in the rear also. On it, I may also need to replace subframe bushings....at least in the front. I haven't put it up on the rack lately to double check, but I am starting to get some clunking when going down a driveway. Since the front end is all new, there isn't much left to make that kind of noise and movement.

There's a bunch of other stuff that should at least be looked at and/or serviced to insure you have a safe reliable vehicle.......brakes, change all drive train fluids and filters, tune up, compression check, etc. Also, IMO, on any newer OBDII equipped vehicle, you should have a fairly good diagnostic scanner, capable of reading all modules, so you can get an idea of what's going on if you get a Malfunction Indicator Light. Again IMO, you should have one of these, even if you don't do your own work, just so you can post the codes on here and/or have an idea of what may be going on IF you have to take it to a shop. Don't want them to put the screws to you.....like many of them do.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  9. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Transmission may have a plastic neutral lockout switch prone to breaking. It’s a $35 replacement metal part, but can come as a surprise. If you find yourself unable to start your car, google it and it will give you the steps to bypass it until you can replace it. Super easy to do. Also, service your transmission fluid. Some shops won’t touch it if it has a lot of miles, but if it has been serviced, (60k I believe) keep it up.
    Also, if you have dual zone climate control, and have the light sensorineural the middle of your dash, and don’t have automatic headlights, you can buy the Chrysler 300 headlight control that has the auto function, and boom, darn near free auto headlamps

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  10. HemiJeepMagnum

X2. I've done the "pink thingy" replacement on both my LX's and the headlight switch on my Magnum. I've also added the glove box light, as the wiring is there, tucked up out of the way. I also added the tailgate release button off the 300.

I think it's kind of stupid for a place not to replace the "pink thingy" on high mile vehicles, as that's when they're more likely to fail. What happens is the little piece that holds the spring in place breaks off and then you can't move the shift lever. There is a lockout release that is accessible by removing the little tray to the right of the shifter. That'll get you going until you can get the vehicle repaired. By the way, replacing the lockout mechanism (aka "pink thingy") is not the easiest job in the world but can be done in a couple hours if one follows the instructions in the FSM.​

sickboy likes this.
  11. scooterodell

scooterodell Member

69b6bea72bda1edc0d20191f9c27607d7e5f36c0-14.jpg

12. scooterodell

scooterodell Member

Thanks again, everyone!

valiant67 likes this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Nice color! Congrats!

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Was never fond of the Magnum's, but that one is very nice. I do like the color. Congrats!

15. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

That is a nice ride congrats!

16. HemiJeepMagnum

For some reason I really LOVE that color too. Yours looks real clean. Hope you enjoy yours as much as have mine for the past 15 plus years. Bought it new right after they first came out and took delivery on Aug. 9, 2004. They're great rides if you get ahead and stay ahead of any maintenance issues. In 15 years I have never had any issues except for fair wear and tear items. We use it mostly for highway driving and, with the "somewhat modified" Hemi with MDS, we usually get 27-30 mpg driving at around 65 mph.

Attached Files:

pug-man likes this.
  17. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Been out of town for a ministers meeting in Louisiana for a week and to get some work done on our church there. That is a very nice looking Magnum. I know I'm not supposed to covet, but I sure wish I had that one! LOL

pug-man likes this.
  18. Ed Brock

Ed Brock Member

The first time a saw Chryslers TV ad for the Magnum I was hooked. That rear wheel burn out, going sideway while doing it and making a lot of smoke. I needed a smoke, or a towel.
    Ed

19. HemiJeepMagnum

Just like me, Ed. I first saw a pix of the Magnum at the Detroit Auto Show and I was hooked....had to have one. I special ordered mine exactly the way I wanted it on the first day they came out. I couldn't leave it alone almost from the very beginning.....been modding and adding goodies for almost the whole time and I think I am finally finished.

chuzz and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  20. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Also, don’t know if it had gas strut hood props, but it should have the bits necessary to install them. There are kits for the conversion, and only about 20 bucks I think. Real easy, and beats the heck out of a hood prop

valiant67 likes this.