Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered a Cherokee...well, tried anyway

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by npaladin2000, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1
    Level 2 Supporter

Apparently the system wouldn't let them put the order through so they're going to fax it out tomorrow. They couldn't find a Limited or High Altitude with the packages I want and without the sunroof I don't want. Anyway, once it goes through I will be a proud Mopar owner. And I swear the one I test drove, I had to check the sticker to make sure it was the 2.4L. Felt stronger.

BobbiBigWheels, PCRMike and DarkSky like this.
  2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The Multi-Air on the 2.4L really helped boost the power output. Almost felt as strong as a V6.
    Congratulations and best of luck on the new ride.

3. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised by the feel, guess I've been driving too many rev-happy Asian engines with no low-end. I just hope that issue they had with the ordering system doesn't turn out to be a "we're no longer taking custom orders for 2017s anymore" thing.

And it'd be nice if more incentives become available next month when I take delivery. But at least I locked in the $3500 that they're offering now.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

...AAAAND apparently they're not taking orders for the Cherokee anymore. The factory is closed and no new orders until June. As in when they're likely starting to build the 2018s.

5. limechallenger

limechallenger Active Member

Well, I work at the Toledo Cherokee plant, and we are not closed , but April 7th is our scheduled "build out " date. After that we will be shutdown to retool the plant for the Wrangler. That being said, the plant in Belvidere,Il. is scheduled to start production May 15th of the new 2018 Cherokee. So while orders for the 2017 Cherokee are probable no longer available, you may have to wait for a 2018!

6. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

Maybe they just closed out orders then. Which still makes sense, you guys might not be able to build any more before April 7. I loosened my requirements some, and they're doing a locate instead. It was painful but I decided I could live without the vented seats. And I'll never use the uConnect NAV, and I've got 6 speakers in my car now and that's fine, so I don't need 9.

I've noticed a lot of them have sunroofs, I was hoping to avoid the lost headroom and torsional stiffness, I never EVER use sunroofs once I get them.

7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Be mindful of a few things -

You can always just have the Nav downloaded at your local dealer.

You can always upgrade the sound system yourself down the road.

I think the natural sunlight coming through the roof on a nice day might make you happy that you did get the sunroof, even if you never open it.

8. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

I use Waze. Game over. :) I suppose I can put in an amp and sub if I really need to. I doubt I'll ever need the nav in the dash. Especially without the Sirius NavTraffic service. It'd be nice if there was a Spotify app, but all I've seen is Aha, Pandora, iHeart, and Slacker. I prefer Google Play Music, but I doubt there'll ever been a uConnect app for that. But regular BT will do in a pinch.

I am stuck getting the sunroof, but I've never had a panoramic before. I'm mostly concerned with headroom when it comes to that, never had good luck fitting under them. If this one works out better, great, maybe I'll open the shade. And vent mode tends to be pretty handy for getting built up heat out of the car. But because I spend so much time on the highway, actually opening the glass really isn't all that feasible for me. Not often anyway. I've tried. :)

Anyway, they did locate one. Cherry Red, AD1, Tech, SafetyTec packages, and the sunroof. So now I'm just waiting for my FCA contact to provide my supplier code/discount code, and then I can sign the papers.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  9. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Congrats buddy - I will say the pano-roof in a Cherokee is not nearly as headroom limiting has it is in a 200 or even a Ram 1500.

Spotify on your phone, bluetooth audio streaming. Boom. That's my daily routine.

10. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Have you sat in a Cherokee with a Sunroof? Does the Cherokee sunroof retract inside the vehicle or extends outside of the vehicle? Extending outside the vehicle doesn't make much intrusion into the vehicle, I imagine retracting inside the vehicle might take away some space. Extending outside the vehicle, at least the ones I've seen from Chrysler a decade ago, are typically cheap sunroof designs that aren't very reliable.

I fixed my own on my '99 Neon R/T when it broke and I got a kit that replaced the plastic pieces with metal pieces and never had a problem again. If I took it too the Dealer, they would only replace the entire sunroof to fix it, no simple repair of anything wrong, they will only order a brand new sunroof and replace the engine thing.

Today's headliners are pretty thick for the head injury standards, perhaps a sunroof wouldn't invade that much on the space?

11. npaladin2000

Level 2 Supporter

No, I haven't, that's the one thing I'm worried about, but I didn't have a lot of choice about getting it. Not so much worried about the front seat, that'll probably be fine, but I'm wondering about adults in the back. Given the height of the thing though, it's probably not bad.