Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key cylinder or ignition switch?

Discussion in 'Neon' started by neoncrazy101, Jul 13, 2016.

1. neoncrazy101

neoncrazy101 Member

So a few days ago on my 05' Neon (W/ Sentry Key) I noticed that my accessories section of my ignition lock was not working (I could go to it but no radio or anything), then yesterday I went to start her and NOTHING. I had all interior lights and radio but no crank. I took my wifes car to work and when I returned I tried to start her and she started right up. I've started her up about 6 or so times now since then. I've noticed a lot of play in the key cylinder though, in each position I have roughly 30 degrees of rotational play in between each position. I don't have excessive play up and down, just rotational. I have no issues getting the key in or moving it. Would this be a sign of the cylinder being worn or an issue with the actual switch behind the cylinder?

P.S. this morning my accessories section began to work again.....

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I would suspect the key cylinder first. It can be removed from the column for a visual inspection of the actuator that turns the switch. Look for a broken actuator:
    ignition_actuator.jpg
    If that is OK, look for broken plastic at the switch rotor.

somber, T-Dot25 and valiant67 like this.
  3. neoncrazy101

neoncrazy101 Member

Thanks! The actuator was broken. Replaced it and its all good.

somber likes this.