Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawsuit Alleges Jeep Cherokee Gas Tank Caused Death

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

erica-scannavino-jeep-cherokee-lawsuit-(1)-250.png

December 6, 2017 — A wrongful death lawsuit filed against Chrysler alleges the location of the gas tank and the use of a trailer hitch on a 1996 Jeep Cherokee caused a 32-year-old woman to burn to death.

On July 29, 2017, in Cobb County, Georgia, Erica Scannavino was driving a 1996 Jeep Cherokee equipped with a Reese Towpower Multi-Fit Receiver manufactured by Horizon Global Americas, a company also being sued by the plaintiffs.

Ms. Scannavino was legally stopped to make a left-hand turn when her Jeep Cherokee was struck from behind by a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta.

The Jeep rolled down the shoulder and caught on fire, trapping Erica Scannavino in the Cherokee. The rear-mounted gas tank ruptured and allowed gas to leak and catch fire, engulfing the Jeep and burning the trapped Scannavino alive.

The lawsuit says due to the location of the gas tank and the use of the trailer hitch, Erica suffered extreme fright, shock, physical injury, mental anguish and finally death.

STORY LINK: Lawsuit Alleges Jeep Cherokee Gas Tank Caused Death (at https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/lawsuit-jeep-cherokee-gas-tank-death.shtml )

2. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Bad pic to use since they're talking about an xj (96 m/y). The trailer hitch wouldn't have made a difference, I don't think. Odds are the Jetta nosed up under the Jeep at speed, trying to stop. Even if the hitch were to blame here, it's an aftermarket one, and Jeep isn't to blame. This reads like a cash grab since she's suing both.

GasAxe, xjgary, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

I thought the recall a while back specifically said aftermarket hitches did not help and only a factory hitch would provide tank protection?

xjgary likes this.
  4. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

This is why I posted it. Strange to see this did cause this to happen.

xjgary likes this.
  5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

The hitch solution is for the Grand not the XJ.

suzq044, valiant67 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  6. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Even the hitch design SHOULD HAVE prevented it. Yes?

7. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Totally depends. Was the XJ lifted? What speed was the collision? Did the vehicle collision cause the tank rupture? was the tank weakened from years of banging rocks off road? Did the vehicle strike things as it rolled into/down the gully? Too many unknowns here.

xjgary, Bob Lincoln, suzq044 and 2 others like this.
  8. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

She is not suing anyone......she is dead.

xjgary and Doug D like this.
  9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Someone is suing someone. I wasn't talking about the driver. Obviously that person is gone or this suit wouldn't be happening. Not sure if you were trying to be funny or asinine.

djsamuel, MoparJoe, xjgary and 2 others like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

And Liberty. I had a hitch mysteriously appear on the back of my Liberty when I took it in for service several years ago. They had said the parts weren’t available yet when I called about the recall, and then said nothing about doing the install. I happened to notice the new hitch when I was walking up my driveway behind the vehicle. Surprise! :D

They did want to buy back my Liberty when all that was going on...I doubt they would care to now...lol.

11. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Never let that get in the way of a good lawsuit.

xjgary, Erik Latranyi and suzq044 like this.