AF: Caliber - Leaking Coolant, but from where?? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber Leaking Coolant, but from where??

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Fifth87, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Fifth87

Fifth87 Active Member

Went to check the oil in my '09 Caliber with the warm up that we had yesterday. While doing this, I noticed the coolant reservoir is fairly low. Looking around at all the hoses, it appears that it is leaking from the connection between the radiator cap plastic attachment point and where that attaches to the upper hose going towards the thermostat housing. I also saw coolant dribbled down below it and possibly onto the electric fan. I am kind of surprised to see this at 37k miles. Is this a known issue? I assume something simple like a hose clamp will fix this and I need to replace the hose.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

You may want to replace the hose clamp. The hose shouldn't be old enough to require replacement yet, but the sealing surfaces must be clean.
    Borrow a cooling system pressure tester to make sure this fixes it. Keep an eye on your reservoir level for now.
    Some water content of the coolant may evaporate from the reservoir in warmer weather, but you don't want leaks.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

No, it's not a known issue. Do what IC has suggested. He knows what he's doing. You might go to caliberforumz.com. It's Caliber specific. Lots of Caliber knowledge there. Tell them Flyinghigh sent you.

4. Fifth87

Fifth87 Active Member

Topped off the reservoir and will be tackling the hose clamp next. Borrowed a pressure tester as well.
    I'll check out that forum, will do, thanks!