NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets merge IVECO into Ram International

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by freshforged, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

2. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

That's the new RAM 1500 right? :) I'd buy one.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

I have my doubts that there is large enough market for a modern medium duty COE from FCA in North America.

But, as your pictures show, I think the money is better spent developing a medium duty Ram 6500/7500 tractor with up too 26,000lb rear single axle and the option for air brakes.

Mike

srm3500 and Dave Z like this.
  4. freshforged

Probably not, but man what a great looking truck!

5. CNT900

CNT900 Member

I wanted to see that right after FCA was created (and Diaz was hinting about it), but the Iveco ship has sailed. Not part of FCA. A class 6/7 Ram would be interesting, but FCA does not have a dealer network to sell such a truck, and the cost of developing one would be high (remember Chrysler didn't even have enough money to develop the Ram 4500/5500, Freightliner paid for a lot of that).

6. ScramFan

ScramFan Member Level III Supporter

I wonder if such a vehicle could be sold via existing Case New Holland dealer network?

Also, I wonder if, in the event of a GM+FCA tie up, perhaps one of the truck brands (either GMC or Ram) is spun off to Case New Holland Industrial, to get further into the medium and heavy truck market. It would also allow them to (finally!) sell the Iveco Daily here. GM needs new vans anyway.

I believe GMC still has a small presence in the medium truck market, via an arraignment with Navistar, and I think Isuzu as well.

7. CNT900

CNT900 Member

If Iveco were to come to North America, going through Case/New Holland would make the most sense. But, that leaves FCA out of the picture.

Chevrolet is returning to the medium duty market through joint ventures with Navistar and Isuzu.

I don't think a GM-FCA tie up is in the future.

8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

This has been talked about since the creation of the Ram brand in 2010. It was one of the main reasons Ram broke off into its own brand in case they decided to go forward with something like it.

Dodge did have a lineup of Class 7 trucks at one time. The most popular being the Dodge Bighorn. However in the late seventies Dodge had a lot of problems with the trucks and decided to cancel them.

9. freshforged

Come-on Ram! YOU CAN DOOO EET! Everyones right, of course, it might not work in the US. But once they take Ram international...

Ultimately I'd like to see the PTs big bad brother[​IMG]

Devildodge and UN4GTBL like this.
  10. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1 Level 2 Supporter

Ahh, the PT Hauler. :)

eastcoaster likes this.
  11. CNT900

CNT900 Member

Yes, Dodge made a full line of commercial trucks from medium duty class 5 to over-the-road heavy duty class 8 diesels. The heavy duty trucks were dropped in March of '75, the mediums were dropped at the end of '77. The DNT 950 Bighorn actually was not popular, only about 240 were built between '73 and early '75. It was Dodge's answer to the big Peterbilt's and Kenworth's. The trucks were not bad at all, but Dodge was having a lot of trouble with suppliers and meeting new federal braking standards for heavy trucks. Nonetheless I think Dodge's biggest problem with the medium and heavy trucks was the lack of a strong dealer network for them. Dodge also wanted assembly line space to build more motorhome chassis.

Dave Z likes this.
  12. redriderbob

Before the Iaccoca at Chrysler years here in Metro Detroit, it was common to see Bighorns with Chrysler supply trailers broke down on the side of the road too often. The Bighorn itself was a vary popular truck in the late 50s and 60s. Remember Dodge had just more than their commercial truck experience in their blood. Dodge Trucks were originally Fargo Trucks.

13. redriderbob

Lots of people restore the old Dodge semis these days.

dakota21 and Devildodge like this.
  14. redriderbob

Iveco does build amazing trucks now... but should see their Z concept...

Devildodge likes this.
  15. redriderbob

[​IMG]
    2016 Iveco Eurocargo 4x4

[​IMG]
    2016 Iveco Stralis Lineup

[​IMG]
    2016 Iveco Acco 8x4

[​IMG]
    2016 Iveco Trakker Lineup

Problem is iveco has some really amazing trucks. None of the engines or power trains themselves have not been approved by US government regulations. That itself would cost a ton of money. FCA also has a problem with dealership body because the dealerships after the whole SRT Fiasco would probably not want to put money to have special lifts and everything else including hiring special technicians to be able to sell such equipment. That's why you have seen vehicle such as Fiat Professional commercial vehicles like the Doblo and Ducato be brought to the NAFTA market instead. FCA has highly modified those vehicles to make it easier for them to meet US regulations as well as local dealership bodies being able to service vehicles. Both the Ram ProMaster City and ProMaster have highly modified suspensions and use current FCA US (Chrysler Group) powertrains over their global siblings.

Prabhjot and Devildodge like this.