AF: Lets speak about the positive experiences of FCA ownership | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets speak about the positive experiences of FCA ownership

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by hemirunner426, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

Well, three has to be 50% better than just having 2, doesn't it?

Ryan and aldo90731 like this.
  2. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

well, I kinda remember that square headlight Jeeps saving the franchise, and it lasted quite awhile, 92 YJ being my all-time favorite, (Fuel injection 4.0, no HCSL, and better roll bar/seat belts in the rear for passengers...)

3. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I liked the Rectangular (I should have said) headlights actually. It looked decent to me at the time. But I also remember a lot of grumbling from the Jeep Peeps.

gminnebo likes this.
  4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Cherokee had square headlights at the time. But Jeep faithful say that a Wrangler should have round lights, like always.

The company agreed with the TJ and the Jeep logo having round headlights.

JavelinAMX and valiant67 like this.
  5. MPE426HEMI

Nice for the time!

Jurassic park jeep.jpg

gminnebo likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If the square headlights had stayed, I'd imagine they would have gradually evolved into something similar to the 2014 Grand Cherokee lights in shape.

jerseyjoe and MPE426HEMI like this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

I always wonder what Wrangler would have evolved into if nobody said anything and the designers just did their thing? Would it be Renegade like by now? Or would it have been a Liberty?

8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Probably like a larger Renegade with a removable top and doors and different headlights. If the square headlights had caught on, I'd imagine they would have felt like they could take more risks design-wise.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It was just a few years earlier that Neon came out. After the concept, there was consideration of going with more traditional square headlights instead of the concept’s oval headlights. The change was panned and Neon kept the round headlights.

JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  10. aldo90731

Why the insistence in fixing what ain’t broke...?

In this day and age, round headlights are an easy form of market differentiation, as Wrangler and Challenger demonstrate.

11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Oh, I personally didn't like the square headlights. I just think if the public had accepted them Jeep would have been more apt to take design risks and we'd end up with a very different Wrangler than the one we have today.

12. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

In the pastel neon, cocaine fueled days of the 80's, round headlights were considered old fashioned, FWIW. I'm a fan of YJ's like I'm a fan of Fox body Mustangs; they carried the torch during a pretty dark automotive period.

Why does every thread have to devolve into talking about YJ headlights?:p;)

gminnebo likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The "breakthrough" in headlight design was pioneered by Chrysler with the second generation Eagle Talon. The company had to get special permission for the "narrow slit" headlights from NHTSA and prove that they could provide proper illumination of the road despite their strange design.

GasAxe likes this.
  14. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

The Talon was one of my lust after cars. My Dad had its twin, the Plymouth Laser as his dealer car for a short while. Very fun!:)

15. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Active Member

I had a 1992.plowed snow and pulled a double snowmobile trailer.Typical Jeep,bulletproof...I liked the square head lights.

gminnebo and MPE426HEMI like this.
  16. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

I also had a 92 for 10 years, it survived flipping three time as I was driving down the highway in a freak ice storm, a minor rebuild and back on the road.. I will have one again, when finances recover and I can again have extra cars...

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  17. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

I think the best thing to say is, go buy something else and you will so be back. Others just are the same and don't compare on so many levels.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

All conversations swing and sway. Off-topic generally comes about during on-topic comparisons and counterpoint. Contrast is an important element in communication. We might as well put warnings on Posts which have the key terms 'like', 'similar', 'related', 'compared', and so forth; because those are the launch pads for the excursions ( and some times they are parallels to the main post).

I get that we don't want to go wild with the off-ramps to the message; and contributing Posts which ask : 'How does this relate?, are important. Sometimes relieving some elements of the message also removes some of the character of the discussion.

GasAxe and aldo90731 like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Off topic posts aren’t allowed. Opinions are.

#100 Ryan, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018