Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's speak about the quality in our products and more...

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Mr.Source, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

I'm seeing most of your faces right now, here he goes again telling us the quality isn't good at all etc.
    But I have to be honest and I can't close my eyes, ears, and mouth, long ago I told you that some of our beloved products were having problems, and many of you didn't like my words, you didn't believe me, and it came to the point where I wasn't a reliable source.
    But it's time again for me to stand up and speak loud and clear

Our quality isn't good at all, it's a shame for me to drive vehicles year after year having almost the same problems and in some cases we are having more !
    It has been frustrating for me to drive the competition and compare to our products, my question is simple

Why can we improve in quality, why our products feel and drive so differnt ?

Why do we have to spend so many hours testing products before the product is available for sale.

We can say that we have some quality issues to take care and nothing happens, they will not change what's wrong in the product, they rather wait until a customer will hate the product.

When are we going to deliver good products, almost trouble free products?

I see and hear comments from consumers all the time saying bad words against our products, it's very very sad for me, but what's going on with managment, they are willing to have a partner and it seems nobody likes us, are they crazy, blind, etc. Or they simply see the naked truth, consumer doesn't like us very much, we have to give them fantastic deals to have a sale, is that a good marketing?
    Consumer will buy our products when we will give the high quality products, just look at the Corolla, it keeps selling, it has been a seller, Toyota cares about customer satisfaction, look at the service they provide to customers, it's a different story, why is that? why can't we ?

We are now having in our shoulders those Fiat products, they are not helping us, they are a heavy weight, we are having our own problems, we have a noisy suspension and steering in Cherokees, and what to say about the 9 speed, our fit and finish isn't good, and what to say about the ride of our products, it isn't good at all.

Just hope you will understand my frustration, but it's about time for us to have better products, it was funny to hear from SM that the 200 was a designer fault, C'mon he knew about it, as he knows his many mistakes, he did good to move to SUV's but the move costs us a lot, but not only money, we are still paying a very high price for that.

Plans are on and off, you never know for sure what will be in the future, the 300 has been crazy, but designers are wasting a lot of time in products that will never see the light,.

Marketing at Chrysler continues to be bad, just look at what's happening to the Pacifica, they don't know how to market a product.

I can give you right now a list of product problems, a list of areas which need a change, the truth is, we are falling among consumers, opinions are not good at all, who needs newer products, no more redesigns please, let's fix buggs in the ones we have right now, we are not respecting our customers because, we are making our best effort by not willing to fix a problem in a car that we know very well it's not a customers falult, we know we are having a problem, but we will try not give a warranty, why is that? We tell the customer that he has no more warranty no matter that we are aware of our problem, how many customers left the dealer with a 9 speed problem without a fix, and just because the warranty already expired or because another stupid reason, that's the way we are losing customers.

BRAVO FCA, that's is why......

Sergio is worried about the win in Formula 1, he should quit, who cares if Ferrari wins or not, he didn't care at Nascar and didn't care about Viper. he wants Alfa and Fiat to shine, but we, the Mopar lovers need attention, budget and more, we can't survive without it.

We have to invest in customer satisfaction, we need good dealers, we need to build them right, we need suppliers help, we need managment to listen to what we have to say after we come back from a field test.

It's sad for me to see that the Pentastar is fading, no more Chrysler logos at Auburn Hills, I was proud every morning when I saw the Pentastar and the Chrysler name, we need to improve in many areas or we will soon be history, we can't continue the way we are right now.

Sorry about this long post, but this morning we had more than enough with quality, I can't tell you more for obvious reasons, but try to understand, and please don't start again a fight with me, I'm willing to post, so please let's do it.

#1 Mr.Source, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

Not arguing your point, I take your input very seriously. However, I am concerned because my experience with Chrysler products have really been the opposite. My 2004 PT Cruiser just passed 393,000 miles. It has been an excellent car. I changed the transmission at 292,000 miles and rebuilt the 2.4L engine at 345,000. Other than that (and the fuel pump at 370,000) the car has been great. My wife's 07 PT Cruiser has been flawless with the exception of a clock spring when new and I had to change a vacuum fitting on the brake booster. That is over 84,000 miles. My 2009 Ram has been almost as flawless. I had to change the blend door actuator because of broken gear teeth. Other than that, a perfect vehicle. I've owned Chrysler vehicles back to a 1979 Plymouth Horizon TC-3, and I've been happy with all of them (especially that Dodge Spirit).

I'm about 4 years from retiring and am trying to keep my PT on the road until then. Upon retirement I plan on retiring the PT and replacing the Ram. However, I am concerned about future quality of FCA products. My experience does not justify the concern, but the obvious frustration you convey does make me pause. Hopefully this is something that can be corrected.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

If you look around, it is obvious that it is easier to make excuses (blame JD Powers for their survey results, numerous claims that other makes aren't perfect either, etc.) than it is to fix the product.

4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Would you say that the work being scrapped is more or less than in the past or at least comparable to other OEM's? The impression I get of FCA is that they initially needed to work 8 day a week to climb out of the hole they were in, then continued at a breakneck pace even as market dynamics were changing around them. From my view, they are running so hard they are bypassing quality and missing sign to change until after a substantial amount of work is done.

I don't want to come off as a damned if you do/don't complainer. I'd like to hear from the FCA people, who can share without risk, if the company would be better off to slow down some to better evaluate it's planning.

nastijeep, MOPARTE, somber and 4 others like this.
  5. jam1

jam1 Active Member

Everyone has differing opinions and views based upon their backgrounds, knowledge, etc., so, to keep this neutral, please allow me to ask, Mr. Source, what do you think is/are problem(s) and how would you fix the problem(s)? For what its worth, I see design flaws and things that could be better, but I have to be honest, but I think the company is trying to better itself at the same time. No excuse, there's definitely room for improvements, but I'm seeing improvements.
    I love FCA as I can tell you do as well, I care deeply about its success as well. I've been told that, "If you have complaints, then have positive input to fix". That comment is stated with 100% good intentions and no harm meant at all. How do we fix??

somber, GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Mr. Source. Do Yoiu know that Ferrari is not part of FCA since some time and F1 activities are n part of FCA budget?
    Do You know that Ferari was darined for a bout Euro 3.5 billion (cash + FCA debt transferred).

It looks like that You should know more about the company You work for.

And "us vs. others" aptitude... better maybe that You change company?

For your information Cherokee suspensions were designed and engineered in Auburn Hills.

note: I don't work, never worked, for FCA or any automotive company.

7. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

We need at least 28 hours a day, 24 are not enough !

And yes, we need to slow down until we will reach a decent quality.

The launch of the Cherokee was a HUGE mistake, the product was not ready, same happened with the Dart and the 200

I'm affraid I can say that at least of two more products.

Who needs the rush, we are still behind, no matter all the efforts we are not having products to claim we are good or average.

Sad but true.

8. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Don't care about other makes.

freshforged likes this.
  9. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Start from scratch

JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Sir, with all my respect to you.

My comment about Ferrari, is because now SM is focused in F1 believe it or not, he wants badly the win for Ferrari, he should instead be focused in Chrysler, his Italian brands are giving us troubles and taking time from us.
    I never wrote where was the Cherokee suspension designed, just said in one word, it's crap !

BTW, not asking your advice about taking another company, but if, I will ask for your advice, in the meantime seat and relax, you may be waiting for years and years until I ask for your advice, hope you don't get tired.

11. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I worked for a supplier that played a small part in the Ultra-Drive debacle. I can't believe history would repeat itself in less than a generation with the 9-speed. SM has only a few years on me in age. If I can remember such events and learn from them, so should he.

My recommendation is that everyone running things at FCA start with reading this book,
    403 Forbidden (at https://us.macmillan.com/theworldbeyondyourhead/matthewbcrawford/9780374535919/ )
    Sergio and Co. need desperately to overthrow the tyranny of the zeitgeist.

12. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Thank you for your insight @Mr.Source

The thing is, that these are all issues that FCA is aware of, and is tracking. So what about other issues? What about new issues?

It seems that try as they might, it's more of the same.

The dealer experience needs more work than it ever has, IMO, and that is a very important mountain to climb for FCA.

My next vehicle from FCA might be my last if it isn't perfect. I read about people here that have high mileage recent FCA vehicles that have never had a problem, and I'm jealous. I want in on that experience too, as that's not been my family's experience for the past several years unfortunately. At least when the dealer experience was good, you knew you wouldn't have to fight for valid warranty work, but now that it's changed, it will take very little to force me away.

The fact that the cheap aftermarket front LCAs that I installed on my Caliber are going on 2 years now without issue, and have thus exceeded the life of any of the OEM parts still blows me away.

Mopartial, djsamuel and Zagnut27 like this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Strange facts happens at former "Chrysler".
    The "others" arrive, but they bring always bad things to "Chrysler", nothing changes, always same errors.
    The "others" are always the "guilty".

Maybe some mirrors should be added in Auburn Hills.

note: sorry if someone doesn't like the irony.

14. dakota21

Supporter

At my short time at FCA, I noticed that most employees had the mentality that the Grand Cherokee will sell well even with low quality and keeping up with demand is much more important. Cars that should never have been shipped were shipped in order to keep up. I think that breaking this mentality and the notion that the quality department is the "bad guys" will solve some of the problems.

15. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Sir, those OTHERS became the boss, and guess what?

If you boss doesn't get involved he will never understand, and he will end screwing you.

Chrysler had from long time ago problems, yes quality problems, but being honest, managmente never cared enough and like now, they are now focused and busy with OTHER projects.

With Daimler, we were the black rice for them, they never like the 300 was far bettter than their product, we were forced to use their defective transmissions and to buy from them the steering wheels and more, we never had the chance to run alone, just for your information, we shared the same buiding, and we were not allwed to ride in the same elevators, what can you say about it.
    And with Fiat, we are still helping them much more than they to us, we have to deal with bad product and with a terrible image.
    And yes, managment is not honoring a good warranty, I insist, we are responsible for all those many defects, we should always care aboust our customers and fix for free the part that is defective, no matter time or milage, if the customer hasn't been abusive, we should fix the part or replace if we know the component is wrong.
    The supplier is the one who will pay most of it, and Chrysler will pay a higher price with the consumer for selling defective products, being aware of it.

Chherokee cost a lot because it was not ready for the consumer, now dealers are paying the price for that huge mistake.

Who will trust Chrysler after customers bought the 200 and the Dart and after a short life they are history, who?

nastijeep, aldo90731, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Mr. Source - all you will get is excuses. That's all that happens any time quality (or lack of it) is brought up. Many won't even admit there is a quality issue to address.

17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I think the lack of leadership continuity is the problem. I work with people who are in the same basic position for enough time to have 3-4 different company names on the front door. It's very difficult to get them motivated to make what I see as improvements because they survived this long by keeping their head down, making little to no change that would put them at risk, and wait till the new leadership to sweep in. Under that kind of a culture, one that is fostered by the Sergio talking about how the only way to survive is to bring in more outside influence, all the mirrors in the world will only reflect a survivors mentality.

18. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I don't know if that is an accurate summary; at least for me it isn't. I genuinely want to know from someone who is familiar with the situation what is happening. Like I stated in my post, I've had great service from my Chrysler vehicles, the newest being the 2009 Ram 1500. However, as I start to plan on buying a new 1500, and a replacement vehicle for my wife's 07 PT Cruiser, I am getting increasingly concerned about what I am reading here regarding quality. I couldn't care less about Consumer Reports, but when I see someone like Mr. Source express frustration; it has to make me pause and wonder if another FCA purchase is the best decision. I still feel that it is, but I need to get a handle on what has changed and how is it getting corrected. I've been in the Chrysler fold for over 35 years and I don't take that change lightly.

19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

IMHO a change at the top can't happen fast enough. All focus must be on quality, the rest will take care of itself. And along with the top there are layers below in Auburn Hills that need attention. Their corporate mentality needs an adjustment. They know what needs done, I've always wondered why they can't change?

nastijeep, freshforged and MPE426HEMI like this.
  20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

This is the greatest concern for me when looking to buy Mopar. It's not that quality is god/bad/whatever, it's that when I have a real issue, FCA will make it very difficult, if not fight me outright, to fix the issue. I don't need the hassle and there is tons of other product out there that I can justify buying even if I don't want to in my heart.