Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's speak about the quality in our products and more...

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Mr.Source, Oct 17, 2017.

1. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I've owned 11 Chrysler products in the last 25 years. I think that is giving them a chance. I was sick to my stomach to tell my father I was getting a car outside FCA. I didn't take the decision lightly. It would have cost me at least $400 or more a year in gas if I would have gotten a fwd Compass. On top of that we are still battling quality issues with our Journey which is not giving us a lot of confidence at the moment- front end noise that has been there since the beginning and no one can seem to fix it. It's a common issue and you can find long threads about it on Journey forums. I put on about 25,000 miles a year. I find that those that have better success with Chrysler vehicles are ones that drive a normal amount of miles. when you pile up the miles quick things just don't hold up. We will see if the Honda reputation holds up for me. In the mean time we will see how FCA fairs in another year when we consider getting rid of the Journey. I haven't completely given up on them. Like I said, I want them to succeed. I post on here because I do care about the company.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

You don’t have to like it for it to be true. I don’t have to be likable to be valuable.

I still own the Dart. Can’t get out of it by it’s bad reputation. No one wants the thing.

What I’ve said is the truth and I’ve insulted no one. I’ll thank you to not cast aspersions my way.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

It is the responsibility of both, however, you should never have to fight to have your concerns documented correctly or at all.

Beentherebefore and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

There's a difference between saying what you need to say, and shoving it in our faces every day.

If you still have it, here's what you do.

1) If you really hate the performance characteristics, get one of the replacement PCMs that people rate relatively highly.

2) To kill the squeaks and rattles, isolate them by putting stuff into the doors as described elsewhere, and then try shoving foam triangles bit by bit between windshield and dash cover; that gets rid of a lot of them. If that fails, dash cover off, figure out what's rattling, and put in sound deadener as practical/called for. Instructions “on the Internet.”

3) Lots of foam around the mirror, or take the case off and live with it.

4) If you don’t like the ride and handling, get wheels and tires from ANY non-Aero model from the junkyard and install them. Surprise! Aluminum wheels reduce the busy-ness of the ride. Better tires increase adhesion.

Here’s what's still good about your Dart...

1) It’s still fun when the turbo kicks in
    2) Economy is still good for the size of the car
    3) Trunk is still huge
    4) Seats are still very comfortable
    5) Stereo is still very good
    6) Ergonomics are still best in class
    7) Still handles well

MJAB, hemirunner426, djsamuel and 6 others like this.
  5. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

Let me qualify my statement, in that I understand people have budgets that they must adhere to and must save money where they can. That being said, if a vehicle fit my criteria, with the exception of fuel milage, I would not worry about spending $8 a week more for gas. But that's me, so I can't speak for you.

6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

There are instances when I have to keep prodding the service writer to document everything I am saying.

7. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

And that is totally absurd, I will not say for what manufacturer, but I just advanced from the Western Regional Finals to the Service Writer National Finals, if I advance, I go to the World Finals. I say that because writer's who do not accurately reflect the concerns don't belong in that position, period.

somber, djsamuel and aldo90731 like this.
  8. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I also get paid mileage which helps towards my payment. Also the most fuel efficient suv they sell (brand new Compass) has only been out a few months just like the Dart I bought. I'm not going to chance it again.

iNeon and JavelinAMX like this.
  9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Co-workers and neighbors have made claims that yet other people have corroborated regarding used Honda's . That the interest in them doesn't stop or dwindle at 100K, for instance.

I had to ride home from work with one of the Van Pool people in the Van I was a member of. Her Honda was older, but had been kept up really nice. Her ownership started with 150K miles on the clock.

I've gotten many, many " a lot of life left " comments regarding rather high mileage H cars.

I've long since dialed-back the doubt.

jclick, UN4GTBL and Erik Latranyi like this.
  10. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I’ve done those things, Dave.

The dash rattles are internal and are not reachable from either the cowling trim or the floating bezel. I’ve driven the car with both removed and tried to silence the rattles.

I’m not some kind of complainer trying to make waves just to make waves. I have a basic ASE. I’ve built cars and work as a parts manager in a semi-truck terminal— formerly managed a high-end import shop.

I know what decent transportation is.

The car came with split 5-spoke alloys from the factory. The wheels are not the fault in the car’s suspension. It is poor tuning and premature wearing of cheap parts.

I added a Dart Madness tuner box years ago. That does not solve the poor idle quality. The car gets Chevron 93 octane exclusively. Penzoil Platinum Euro Synthetic with the Ferrari emblem on the bottle— changed when the dashboard says. It gets WIX filters.

The factory radio was insufficient so I installed some nice JBL.

#870 iNeon, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    UN4GTBL and JavelinAMX like this.
  11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Why was teh radio so bad? Are your wheels the smaller version of the gt wheels or those cheap wheels where it can't even really be seen through? Also dart madness tune is probably one of the worst on the market only being a little bit better then ebay tunes/chips

12. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

A few years ago, I had an accidental house guest. She had a 90s Accord with 201k miles on the 4 cylinder engine. When the timing belt was done, apparently the mechanic had forced the balancer back on which later sheared he key and damaged the crank. She was on her way from Mobile, Alabama to Hilton Head, South Carolina when she broke down in Atlanta. Local Honda dealer wanted to install a reman engine for $4k, which she did not have, so the car was towed to my driveway. We put the car on craigslist as-is for $1500 and had 15 calls in the first hour. She decided if there was that much demand for it, she was going to have it fixed. I found a local Honda centered shop that put a reman crank in it and she still has the car almost 5 years later.

I'll admit I was surprised by how much demand there was for a high mileage broken down Accord.

UN4GTBL, Ian and JavelinAMX like this.
  13. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Then there are FCA cars.

Chrysler enthusiasts might consider a broken down Chrysler product, but - and I'm guessing based on what I see in the world - I'm betting we don't see that kind of response when a Mopar is offered up for sale on Craigslist ... more response for a GM or a Ford product. But I'm also betting H beats out those brands, too.

A Beater Honda isn't necessarily dead to the world.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Well, at least now I know not to bother doing all those things to fix the rattles.

“The car came with split 5-spoke alloys from the factory” — then it’s not an Aero.

Hmmm... why spend so much on oil on a car you can’t stand?

ScramFan likes this.
  15. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I am seeing that. My Durango has been for sale for almost 2 months now and only a few, low baller leads. I had to pay to get it fixed and certify in order to get more people interested. It's in great shape, clean with minimal rust, AWD and all...but they people don't want to pay for a Dodge...

16. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I spend so much on the car because— contrary to my knowing it is a bad car— I do not intend to void the (worthless) warranty nor lessen its service life through lackadaisical care.

I intended it to be a car I kept a decade.

The late run Aero cars most certainly do come with aluminum split-spoke 5 stars. It’s a Dodge hallmark.

If you want to split hairs and call them 10-spoke turbines— that’s your call. It is a distinction without a difference.

Attached Files:

#876 iNeon, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM
  17. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Aero had the off looking rims and the 5-spoke. Dealer here still has 3 brand new Dart Aeros and they have 5-spokes.

18. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

The discussions about poor-quality dealers reminds me of "the car buying" (more like leasing) process we went through a year ago (or maybe it was a few months ago). Last year my mom's Suzuki Vitara was making this very weird noise (I described it as pebbles in the block). We tried to get it fixed but my mom became leery of driving the car too much afterward (IIRC). This meant we were in the market for a new used car (initally). Pretty quickly though my mom told me she'd rather just lease a new car. That way the car would (ideally) be free of any troubles. Rather than getting a used car that would most likely need something sooner rather than later.

Initially I was pretty excited, as this meant getting something in the Mopar family. We were looking for something similar in concept (a CUV) to the Vitara. Sadly, mom doesn't like Jeep (don't know why). Chrysler doesn't offer a CUV (yet) and mom doesn't like Fiat either (I doubt she'd be a 500L fan). My dad wanted something AWD (because his 1st gen Durango was dying too) and needed something that could handle the snow (AWD is a preference for him).

Trucks were out of the question because mom didn't want to be driving a big vehicle (and I'd rule that out as an option because it's more vehicle than she'd ever need). This meant that Dodge was the only other brand. This was fine, as Dodge does have a vehicle my mom likes. The Journey. Even better, it comes with AWD, optional 3rd row-seating and a powerful engine. Me being a Mopar nut I was very pleased that this was a suggestion that could actually materialize. Alas, I couldn't keep lying to myself though.... for I knew that as excited as a was that there was even a possibility of getting a Journey, it wasn't meant to be (this time). There's no getting around it, a lot of FCA dealers don't treat customers as well as they should. And when those customers are your own parents, I just couldn't ignore the glaring issues FCA dealers have with customer treatment (I swear there's a better word for customer treatment and I'm just having a brainfart on what it is). There was no way I was going to suggest to them to get a car that would have a less than great dealer experience likely to be attached along with it. So I let them wade out their options whilst I gave them some information on what they were looking it.

In the end I let them choose what they felt was best for them. That ended up being a VW Tiguan (it's pretty nice tbh).

I wanted to give FCA "our" business, but until they up their game with customer treatment (especially for dealers), the only buisness they'll be getting is my own (eventually). I'd like to add more, but anything I could ever think about saying has already been said in this thread.

jimboy likes this.
  19. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

At first I thought you would be telling us that someone drove into your house.

SRTBrandon, DarkSky, GasAxe and 4 others like this.
  20. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

I have a 2016 ram that's 1 1/2 years old with 65 thousand kilometers.my vehicles don't sit.what you say is reasonable.i just hope that WHEN you have problems with your Honda you admit them.lots of people who make the switch from the big 3 to Japanese or Korean vehicles are surprised when they get burnt by them.subsequently not admitting to having trouble.they know they may have made a mistake but cannot admit it.

I am sure you will not like what I say,but I will say it anyway.i think you will have problems with your Honda,maybe enough to realize the grass is not always greener.

Ian, UN4GTBL, djsamuel and 1 other person like this.