Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's speak about the quality in our products and more...

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Mr.Source, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I still loved my 97 Neon. It had great reliability overall(head Gasket at 119k and windows that never sealed). I had tire wear problems with my 03 Neon R/T and my speedometer bezel was out of round. Again it was a reliable, fun car. If FCA ever offers a small sporty car I'll take a look, but I don't see that happening. The Abarth is too small.

somber likes this.
  2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I won't yet say that I'm a complete Mopar to Honda convert, but probably getting close to it. All our Hondas have been at least very good, if not outstanding, in the reliability dept. Some of our Mopars have reached the very good level (mostly 60s and 70s models) but we've also had a few stinkers, especially in later years. I was willing to put up with Mopars that needed more servicing than our Hondas when they were very active in supporting motorsports (particularly Nascar) because, for me, that contributed to some pride in ownership. Now that the company has cut way back in support in major motorsports series, I don't feel like putting up with the servicing/repair hassles at their largely insufficient dealer network. At my age, having to drive 30 - 40 miles in our notorious SoCal traffic just to get to a Mopar dealer with a decent reputation raises the blood pressure level and I (and Mrs BTB) surely don't need that. As a bonus, Honda is very active in motorsports and I particularly enjoy seeing them beat "Brand C" in the IRL series.

aldo90731 and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. Ian

Ian Car Freak

That 1.0L in the Focus and Fiesta is a good little motor. Never seen any issues and that transmission should've replaced the POS DPS6 in the Focus/Fiesta years ago. We're still and always have issues with that transmission. Frustrating part is, our sales department gets their customers to trade in their '14 Focus for a '17 because of transmission issues...dhuuu

aldo90731 and somber like this.
  4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Had a Dodge Coronet with the 318 CID finally bite the dust at over 235K ( could've been more on the clock, but the Odometer cable link broke some thousands of miles before she was laid to rest ). Plymouth Scamp was right around 230K at last breath - 225 Slant-Six was likely good enough to pull and re-build for another car ... what a workhorse.

I haven't owned an FCA car. Did have two DumblerChryslers : 2005 Neon and the vaunted 2006 Cummins Ram (best 'car' I've ever owned ). The '05 Neon is among the walking dead. Not driven much now.

At one point, I had hopes that Chrysler would develop Power for IRL, if not field a team. Unfortunately, nothing happened.

Ian likes this.
  5. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

Since everything about the Hondas is anecdotal, I'll pile on as well. My daughter's 97 Honda Accord, which we purchased with 70,000 miles on it after she totaled her Neon was the biggest piece of garbage I ever had the displeasure of working on. To make matters worse, my daughter HATED the car and yearned for her Neon. She really wanted a Surf Blue PT Cruiser, which when she got out of college she was able to purchase. Now my 04 PT is over 396,000 miles and going strong, my wife's 07 PT is at 85,000 completely trouble free miles (with the exception of a rubber vacuum fitting at the power brake booster), and my daughter's 08 PT continues to make her happy at 130,000 miles. Do I miss the Honda? No.

tlc, MPE426HEMI, ScramFan and 3 others like this.
  6. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I can only vouch for the Hondas I purchased new compared to the Mopars I purchased new. I would never rate a car I bought used in the same way. You have no idea what the used car has been through.

Regardless of what I drive now, I really want FCA to be successful and will continue to follow what's going on. The rest of my family is still Mopar and I get to drive their Rams all the time. Best truck hands down.

UN4GTBL and Ian like this.
  7. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

2015 Dart Aero just threw its third CEL. 35,200 miles.

I’ll go check it out instead of eating lunch.

8. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

That has got to be SO frustrating.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Sure is. I’d prefer eating.

djsamuel, aldo90731 and valiant67 like this.
  10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Geez. That reminds me: my dealer told me they had to either hoist the car and remove the front wheel, or remove the entire front fascia to....are you sitting down...? Drum roll please...to replace a burnt fog light on my 2012 Challenger SRT 392.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

That's how the Caliber is for any of the headlight bulbs.

The fog light bulbs are super easy to change though, which is good, as it melts the connectors from time to time. :/

12. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

That's actually amazing

TBH, it's the little things that make me want to get rid of my Caliber. The engine, for what it is, has been great.

somber likes this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Way back on page 32 and a little later I mentioned about my girlfriend buying a Malibu that had a shimmy. The told her it was the tires. They wouldn't do anything until it had 500 miles on it.

They say they didn't do anything, but when she got it back it was smooth. She now loves it and is very happy with it.

Still wish I could have gotten her into a 3.6L AWD 200S, but it wasn't my money.

UN4GTBL and aldo90731 like this.
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That's another reason that got me interested in trying a Honda product.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

After a while, those "little things" pile up and you get as disgusted as you would for something big, especially if it involves hassling with a recalcitrant dealer.

UN4GTBL and JavelinAMX like this.
  16. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

McLaren dumped Honda after engine problems in 11 races out of 17. Alonzo said he ain't driving next year for McLaren with a Honda engine. That would make me want to buy one too. No doubt.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Latest issue, 2015 Dart Aero Manual: CEL illuminated yesterday for a P1CEA code(Boost side EVAP Purge System Performance)

There seems to be a TSB (18-020-15 REV. B) which applies to 2013 models specifically, but the symptoms have all shown up in my 2015 model, and are half the complaints I have with the engine.

FCA engineered-in a leak and it causes trouble for some people. The 2015 Aero model's turbo plumbing is revised(earlier Mopar CAI systems won't work on 2015 models) so iunno what this means related to the code and service bulletin. Mostly, I'm losing more faith because it kept me from eating lunch and required me to borrow a scanner from one of my technicians to remedy.

Feels terrible to be asked about the problem and to have to relay negative reliability information to a group of service technicians.

18. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Just look at the recent news- FCA couldn't even program a light/photo sensor correctly for the dash of a new Compass. It is just unacceptable to me that an issue like that could even get past any type of QA. I guess it's no different then my brand new Dart's remote start not functioning when it's below freezing- cause no one uses a remote start when it's cold. You would think FCA would have a better QA process since the Dart's release and would have learned something by now.

19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Somethings are quality control but the remote start was nothing something that just happened to get missed. I have remote started teh dart many times well below freezing and even negative temperatures a few times.

20. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Then your Dart already had the software update to correct the issue. Was it built after May 2013? Look up the TSB. My goodness, I'm not making this stuff up.