Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's speak about the quality in our products and more...

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Mr.Source, Oct 17, 2017.

1. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Thing about car problems that you're failing to see in your own experience is that every positive anecdote relayed to us compounds the negative experiences.

Yours being fine is great and all-- but the more you dig your heels in and deny our experiences as real-- the more negative those experiences are.

I'm not trying to give myself Stockholm Syndrome over this.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Then get the software update so you no longer have to complain about it

3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

You have many different people tell you have to help fix your problems but you don't even try. Yes teh cars have issues i'm no denying that but you're acting like it's the biggest pos all because you were too scared to attempt to lemon law a car

4. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Not sure you understand or didn't read my posts. My Dart was fixed but my point is that it was sold before it was fixed. That is something that FCA should have figured out BEFORE the car was even released. I had to basically go through the whole first winter of owning my car wondering if it remote started or not- that was the Dart's first winter after it's release. The software update for that didn't even make it to production until May 2013. They released a car that the remote start would not work correctly in cold temperatures- just brilliant QA and software programming. No different than selling a Compass that doesn't dim the dashboard at night. That stuff should have been caught before the cars even made it to the lot. Just dumb stuff.

UN4GTBL and JavelinAMX like this.
  5. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Please take your time and express your thoughts more clearly. I'm not sure what you're talking about-- or that you've read anything I've written in this thread.

#925 iNeon, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
  6. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I don’t like that everything I write is re-written by moderators.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

This is a fairly comprehensive, though not entirely complete, repair history of my Stratus.

I've always had problems with cars. Maybe that is because I've generally purchased older cars. I purchased this one with a little over 13K on the odometer and sold it with 237K. Right or wrong, this is what I generally expect from a vehicle. (I also seem to have oddball problems with my cars too). It is for this reason that as long as FCA continues to offer the Lifetime MaxCare I will probably buy a FCA product, though I doubt I will ever buy another brand new car.

TrueDelta | 2004 Dodge Stratus Repair Histories (at https://www.truedelta.com/2004-Dodge-Stratus/problem-histories-79 )

So far I've had 2 problems that I've taken the Charger to the dealership for. One was a TSB for the trunk popping open. The second was a faulty temperature sensor that caused the car to overheat.

Would I like 200,000 trouble free miles? Absolutely. Do I expect that? Absolutely not.

#927 Christopher, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Just saw on the "CBS Evening News" yesterday a story about Honda trying to get as many of the faulty Takata airbags out of their older vehicles as they can. They have about 80 mobile crews in vans driving around the country trying to find as many of the owners that they can that haven't brought their cars in for the airbag replacement recall. When they find one, they have the parts and technicians in their vans to replace the airbags right then & there so the owners don't have to trouble themselves with trying to get their vehicles into a dealership. I realize that this isn't all altruistic on the part of Honda (cuts down the potential for lawsuits) but what a clever and innovative way to take care of a recall/servicing headache and earn some goodwill with Honda owners.........and having the story shown on a national news broadcast won't hurt the company's reputation for treating their customers right.

Maybe FCA and it's dealership network can also learn something from this (?).

aldo90731, somber, wtxiceman and 2 others like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Report shows Takata recall still moving slowly (at http://www.wsbtv.com/news/report-shows-takata-recall-still-moving-slowly/649369240 )
    Honda has done well in getting them replaced, it seems. But the Takata airbag seemed more problematic in Honda products than in FCA ones.
    This is a month older:
    https://www.cars.com/articles/fca-honda-try-new-way-to-prompt-takata-recall-repairs-1420697714273/

JavelinAMX likes this.
  10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Moderators only edit out violations of the Terms of Service, such as profanities and personal attacks.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  11. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

And I don’t like how the aliens rewrite my thoughts—but that’s what the tinfoil is for!:rolleyes:

12. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

If I didn’t know what I’d originally written (which was subsequently edited) and what was written in response (and which was subsequently deleted by others) I’d have the same reaction.

Everything’s been edited to a point it makes no sense. This is why I have a problem with moderators editing and deleting statements.

Ian likes this.
  13. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Not sure its the moderators or the alternate me! Sometime I think the editor here that helps amplify my driftyness.

14. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

We all get a bit spacey, but gaslighting is also totally a thing—

15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

At 27 october 2017 the FCA (Chrysler in NHTSA documents) repaired airbag were 2.6 million of a total of 8.73 (29.78% completion rate).

The two recalls with priority group 1 are at 43.53% (the big one of more than 4 million airbag) and the second one 55.63% (88k recalled airbag).
    To note that the shares are calculated on vehicles not scrapped, exported or stolen (there are also that data in the tables).

For example of the first big group 1 recall (campaign 15V313) the total is 4,054,728, repaired 1,670,740, scrapped 161,297, exported 28,626, stolen 26,615.
    Net to be repaired 3,838,190.

Is FCA going to arrive to reach customers the exported vehicles for the recalls?

The other recalls listed have priority group 4.

Takata Recall - Air Bags Repaired / Remaining by Manufacturer (#) | Department of Transportation - Data Portal (at https://data.transportation.gov/Automobiles/Takata-Recall-Air-Bags-Repaired-Remaining-by-Manuf/kdn4-w5z3 )

Progression of airbag repaired can be found at the link hereafter.
    Takata Recall - Affected Population / Repaired Air Bags Over Time | Department of Transportation - Data Portal (at https://data.transportation.gov/Automobiles/Takata-Recall-Affected-Population-Repaired-Air-Bag/346i-nxtd )
    For example at 16 december 2016 were 1,425,235, at 27 october 2017 2,602,733.

16. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Or let's look at the overall picture:
    8.73M affected units. 2.6M replaced. That's about 30% completed overall.The scrapped/exported/stolen numbers are small enough to not affect the overall percentage significantly.

17. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

People claim to care about safety when purchasing a vehicle but it doesn't seem like too many are worried about their airbags.
    Your seat belt still does more for you (as long as you wear it).
    The airbag issue doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle starting in the morning, running down the road and stopping.
    Those are the day to day things (reliability and dependability) that people are really concerned with.
    Since collisions aren't a day to day event many appear not to be losing any sleep over the airbag recall.

UN4GTBL and MPE426HEMI like this.
  18. valiant67

Level III Supporter

But there were those of us that cared. I found it easier to get rid of vehicles with "defective" airbags than to get them replaced. There have been at some people trying and being denied the parts. Maybe I'm extra sensitive since I was protected with an airbag in a fairly serious crash - with no injury but a slight cut on my lip. Sometimes, no matter how carefully you drive, you can end up in a situation where an accident is unavoidable.
    I wasn't as worried in a Chrysler vehicles with the "defective" as if I'd had a Honda. The Chrysler ones didn't seen to shoot shrapnel at the driver or passenger.

19. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I got airbags replaced on one vehicle by trading it in,Lol. There were no parts available at the time I owned it. I just kept getting notices. Another vehicle I also own has both driver & passenger bags recalled and have been no parts available for about a year when it was first issued. I think they’re available now, but unless FCA wants to replace them (ala Honda style), I’m not taking it to the dealership.

20. junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

I've skimmed over this thread, and my observation is that a) Chrysler quality consistency is lacking and b) dealership support is inconsistent as well.

(Thank you, Captain Obvious)

I am not a 'Mopar guy' per se'- I will drive what I like. I've owned cars made by each of the 'Big 3' as well as German and Japanese. Most are fairly high mileage, there was a period where everything I owned was over 200,000 miles.

So- I just bought an 09 Charger R/T. The carfax shows incomplete recalls for the timing chain and airbags. A quick call to my local dealer in Roseville MI and I have an appointment for service. They provide me with a new V6 Charger for a loaner.

So- here's my impression- The 09 R/T is not fully optioned, but has some nice features. Heated seats- I like the bun warmers. The V6 Charger- cloth seats, non heated. Base (I assume) touchscreen radio/climate control. The screen is smallish, gives a feeling of cutting corners- even compared to the non-touch screen in my 09.

The 09's radio- has uconnect bttons, but no uconnect. Really? Bluetooth is going to add that much to the cost of the vehicle? My 08 HHR had bluetooth. It's really should be considered a safety feature to have hands free.
    The 09's TPMS- lights up a low tire light, but gives you no indication of which tire is low. Again, the 08 HHR had that feature.

When the competitor's cars that are a lower, cheaper model have more features than the more upscale offerings from Chrysler, it conveys a feeling of cheapness.

Add to that, if you have a dealer that is subpar, it makes the entire experience awful.

I traded in a 2010 Camaro RS on the 09 Charger- because the V6 had a rod knock. A relatively powerful V6 in a sporty car should be able to handle occasional spirited driving. A rod knock at 110,000 miles is unacceptable today, and has soured me on V6 engines from anybody- hence the Charger. The 5.7 Hemi seems to be a solid motor, and with 88,000 miles should have plenty of life left.
    Bringing me back to the recall. I get my Charger back today, there was no attempt to upsell service. I will find out if the airbag recall was completed when I pick up the car- forgot to ask when they called. It is on the work order.

In a nutshell- Cars are complex systems, and things go wrong. Most adults understand that. It's when companies deny problems, dealers lie to or try to upsell services to customers, problems that should have been solved are swept under the rug- that's when customers leave. Chrysler has historically provided value for the money- generally offering features that match more expensive offerings from competitors. But when you offer less value, less quality, and less service, you will end up with less buyers.

superduckie5000, UN4GTBL, Ian and 2 others like this.