AF: LH cars and Longevity | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LH cars and Longevity

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by voiceofstl, Aug 27, 2016.

1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I love the 2 Gen LH cars, the styling was so far ahead of anything else.

Now they are quite rare to see and if you do, its 3.2/3.5 car as most 2.7s are done by now. Though a few years ago, I saw a base intrepid on the road with the nice blue smoke trail behind it...poor car.

I would love to have a 2001-2004 300M :)

Or a 1994-1996 LHS/New Yorker(best-looking LH cars ever) but those are just not around anymore:(

2. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

The wheels, center shifter, folding mirrors, grille, and tail lamps are simple enough to swap on the earlier Ms, the window trim is the only hard part. Otherwise, aside from the switch to low-speed bus on 02-04s, you wouldn't know the difference between a 99 and an 04 on the outside. Unless you have a color other years didn't have, like my 99-only PS4 car. I have the chrome shift knob from a 2001, "Leather" shift gate, 2001+ wheels, tail lights, and I have Special signal mirrors sitting in my basement as a project if I ever get spare time, if I decide to keep the car... and also do the window trim if I ever get time to spend just wasting away in a junkyard to pull the 01+ trim.

In the 02 you don't get rear door lights, in 03-04 no front lights either. Plus the seat quality in the newer ones, well, my 1999 has only "Cracks" in the leather seats. Nothing is worn through, despite 215k miles. In every 01+ I've seen the driver's seat is badly worn. Daimler cut costs/corners in the later years, and they just don't seem as nice, even if they look nicer.

3. Ed Brock

Ed Brock Member

Just an update. We now have 280,000 miles on the car, just preformed a full service found no problems. I am replacing the front and rear struts, I found a place that builds strut spring to your specs so I'm also getting new struts springs. That should take care of us for many more fun filled miles. At current rate we are looking forward to 500,000 miles easy.
    Thanks Ed

dodgeismycar and page2171 like this.
  4. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I bought a new1994 LHS back when. It was my company car at the time. I absolutely loved that car. It was burgundy with every option. I was very comfortable and fun to drive. I see a couple still running around here in Raleigh.
    There is a white one I see occasionally that looks like brand new.

5. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

As of a couple of years ago, my mom said she saw my 99 300M still running around town. Considering the amount of maintenance I put in it over the years I had it, it isn't surprising that they were still driving it.

6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The back seat of the first gen. LHS/new yorker was HUGE. It had the biggest for the past 50 years outside of limos.