Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberty's Offroad

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by MoparNorm, May 19, 2011.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

OK, I probably know the answer at this forum, because there are very few Jeepers here, but out of curiosity and because I'm tired of reading about repair problems ONLY, how do you Liberty owners use your Liberty?
    If you do not take it off pavement, WHY did you buy a Jeep?
    No flaming, just an honest discussion of why you purchased a Liberty.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

poorboy_616 and Rubicon 1 like this.
  2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

My sister purchased her 2004 Liberty because it met her all-weather, road-going needs and the Liberty's price was right. It makes her feel confident.
    The Grand Cherokee seemed too large for what she wanted and the dealer would not barter on the sticker price of a GC or a Wrangler.
    A customer of mine has a couple of Libertys for use on the farm. They seem to do all that he asks in the way of traction, comfort and utility. They are work trucks.

3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

So, would it be fair to say that your sister might also consider a Patriot for her use needs?

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Yes, with current fuel prices a 4-cyl Jeep is looking mighty fine.
    Actually my wife traded in her Caravan for a 2009 Patriot, but found it to be too small for her mom's scooter and shopping bags in the back. She went back to her minivans.
    We looked at the new Compass and liked it, but the better value was in the Patriot. Used Compasses are very rare.

5. ducktail

ducktail New Member

I got my 06 Liberty because a Wrangler was too small when I am carrying kids around with the school stuff in the week and hunting fishing stuff on the weekends.

My Liberty gets abused. And it goes offroad hen needed. Stuck only 2x's so far. Both times when I landed it on top of pine stumps. They were not the same one.

I looked at the Laredos and so forth but they were too big for the places I go in a jeep on a weekend. During the week, the Liberty handles in town traffic real well. Mine is the Renegade version.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  6. Yettiatcpg

Yettiatcpg Guest

we are on our second Liberty. my wife likes it because its "Nimble" it can get in and out of parking lots easy as compared to her mini van. she is not happy about the loss of extra space the van had but it makes up in spades for ride and handling on our crappy Michigan roads. we have been looking at Patriot as a replacement for our `09 Lib. she wants a little better fuel economy ( she gets about 18-20 now). we went to the dealer and checked out the leg room with both my sons who a 6'0" and still in high school. they fit very well in the back of the Patriot and had enough room for their legs without being scrunched. I was surprised the Durango and Grand had/have less rear leg room. it was rather disappointing as we had intended to get a new Durango up to that point.
    Our first `02 liberty we took off roading in northern Michigan. it was the tricked out with all the skid plates and did very well in the trails. we drug the plates in a few places over rocks and stumps and were able to get past a few obsticals I didn't think we would.

MoparNorm likes this.
  7. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

I bought the Liberty because I lost my Intrepid to my 17 year old son. I needed a car to drive in the Winter as my Daytona no longer sees Winter and not even the rain if possible. I am also a Boy Scout leader with my younger son and over at the Summer getting to camp I thought I was going to bottom out in the Intrepid getting to camp. There was no way was going to get all the way to the camp site. Others in there 4wd trucks got in no problem. Now I will be able to get into camp with all the gear. So my Liberty will see off road driving. But now I have no excuse not to be able to get to work on a snowy day.

MoparNorm likes this.
  8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Good report!
    Interesting to learn of the back seat leg room difference with the WK's.

9. poncherello

poncherello New Member

How I use my Lib?

1. commuting to work, family and friends.
    a. through snow sometimes
    b. flooded roads
    c. The Cross Bronx

2. offroad driving on the beach mildly in the woods
    a. fishing
    b. paddleboarding, kyacking and/or boating
    c. hiking/camping

3. Compact size
    a. fits nicely in my small garage
    b. For its size it can tow up to 5000lbs
    c. Solid roof for addtional storage ie (kyacks, rods, skis, cargo)

Why Jeep Lib?

1. affordibility cost$$
    2. mechanic's recommendation
    3. Looked beautiful in the showroom
    4. Rides like a truck and can carry a lot of weight with out feeling it. Not impressed with the tires, which is better for me makes me not drive as fast as I use too.

*Just didn't anticpate on having the stupid little issues I've been having with it. I am glad I purchased an addtional gold warranty.

(2010) Liberty Sport with Popular package

10. eddie69

eddie69 New Member

The road to my place is definitely off road, have gravel, snow and mud, 4X4 a must, I was looking for a Nitro, but found the best deal on aLiberty, so thats what I have and satisfied with it.
    Eddie

11. zrxkawboy

zrxkawboy Active Member

We have an '06 Libby; my wife wanted one for years, so we bought this one in the fall of '08. A few months after we bought it, we took it to the San Juan Mts in CO and hit some Jeep trails...it did very well for a stock vehicle! Mostly, my wife uses it for a daily driver. We can get quite a bit of snow here in SD, and the Libby handles it well.

12. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I bought my first Jeep product as a 2003 used Liberty 2WD Sport in Texas. We used for driving back and forth to worth, and hauling stuff for the yard, towing the boat to Lake Sam Rayburn and other places along the coast. It was great for towing and handling but after 6 months, couldn't take hitting my head anymore getting in and out and my knees just didn't have enough room and the bumpy ride. We really like the Grand Cherokee as we are on the 3rd one now! We test drove the 201 Liberty before getting the 2011 GC and it still didn't compare in room, ride, space etc, but was a big improvement over the 2003.I am only 5'9'' so that is not really tall for most vehicles, or did they just downsize those too like everything else today?

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

We've had our Liberty on many of the San Juan trails, Moab and the Sierra's Nevada and Utah. It's done fine, high centered a few places where the IFS gives away ground clearance, but that's what skid plates are for. ;)

14. zrxkawboy

zrxkawboy Active Member

Very cool! We were in the San Juans in June '09, and I've wanted to go back ever since! The beauty there is unreal.

15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

There are some mild to wild trails, all fun!

[​IMG]

Its the top of the world! (at least in the North America)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cornupenuria and Rubicon 1 like this.
  16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

...And, in the desert...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rubicon 1 likes this.
  17. Rubicon 1

Rubicon 1 Member

Hey all. Haven't been a member for a number of years. Came back because I saw a Jeep forum. Bought my wife an 06 Liberty Renegade a couple months ago. She had an 08 JKU with 3 inches of lift and 32's. Decided to downsize a bit due to her new job being in another city. We love the Liberty! We do off road it quite a bit. A friend has some property we wheel on. We followed the wranglers and cherokees every place they went except the mud hole. Very capable off road rig. Looking into a 2.5 inch lift and some more aggressive tires.

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

If you haven't purchased your lift yet, I recommend the FrankenLift by All J Products, it's the best KJ lift on the market.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. WXman

WXman Active Member

Both of mine were '05 diesels and I bought them for offroad use and to tow trailers. With a solid rear axle, cast iron A-arms up front, the 545RFE trans, and a real t-case, I found the Liberty to be just as rugged as a Wrangler. I took it EVERYWHERE. It was a blast. And on the final fourwheeling adventure with it, I ended up pulling a Durango out of a flash flooded stream and then hauled a modified Tacoma 4x4 on a flatbed trailer 220 miles to drop it off at my friends' house after we hydrolocked the engine that same day.

The Liberty, in my opinion, was the most under-rated Jeep ever built. Mine, in particular, averaged 26 MPGs empty, 16 MPGs towing 3 tons, and would go any place I pointed it on it's 2.5" lift and 31" tires.

20. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

I got schooled.... Hard core by a friend with a Libby against my XJ.... They do darn well off highway!