AF: lifters? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lifters?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by miller, Mar 25, 2020.

1. miller

miller Member

I have a 2002 pt cruiser non turbo, auto trans. the head was rebuilt, after the car sits over nite and I start it, it starts right up but I have the lifters clacking/tapping. this goes on for about 2 mins then it goes away, seems like the oil got to the lifters, the oil is 10-30 w. any guess as to how to quite this down??? what is wrong. thanks miller

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

How cold is it out, where you are? Are you using conventional or synthetic oil? Synthetic flows better in cold, reaches the valvetrain faster.

3. miller

miller Member

I am in New Jersey temp is 45 now,..I tried synthetic same results, I now have 10-30 w conventional oil,..thanks for the reply.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It may not even be the lifters.
    An exhaust manifold leak can 'tick' like a lifter when cold for a minute or two.
    Some 2.0L and 2.4L engines had wrist pin slap in the upper block that happened when cold. They could be misdiagnosed as lifters.
    Cams and lifters were usually dependable on these engines.

5. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Shouldn't you be using 5W-30?

6. miller

miller Member

thanks for the replies....I had 5w 30 in it and it did the same thing.