AF: Line start question | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line start question

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by ShawnP, Apr 7, 2020.

1. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

When the assembly lines start up again.

Did they stop the lines with vehicles in place or did they run the line dry then go home?

I also wonder what are the quality check points to ensure no parts or process points were missed (no I am NOT attacking the line workers. Humans design and build these vehicles. They can forget things especially with outside influences happening.).

Just a guess but to me anything built before June 1st is a bonus.

2. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Active Member

They used to stop in place at certain steps along the way for holiday breaks back in the day.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. joewho

joewho Active Member

Because it wasn’t a planed closure then lines will be full

DC-93 and LXbuilder like this.
  4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

When the 8 hour day stops for workers on a particular shift on the assembly line, time is allowed at shift end so that any work that needs to be done at the particular station or stations may be completed by the individual assigned to that station. Likewise at the start of a shift workers are given ample time to get positioned at the work station, get tools arranged and ready for the line to start moving.

During an extended shut down of the assembly line, procedures may vary. I will have to see if I can determine what happens in that scenario.

For critical assembly items that require proper torque for fasteners, the tools have sophisticated monitors and if the proper torque is not achieved a horn sounds and the line stops automatically. A line supervisor investigates and then must apply proper authentication to start the line again. For non-critical items such as damaged or missing trim for example, there are inspectors along the assembly line. Vehicles with problems like these have the VIN noted and at the end of the assembly line they are diverted to a repair area where manual intervention occurs, the deficiency corrected and then the vehicle is ready for exit and disposition from the plant. These are the procedures that were given to me by a relative that works at the Kansas City KS GM assembly plant where the Chevy Malibu and Cadillac XT4 were built.

DC-93, ShawnP and Dave Z like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Sometimes they do keep making vehicles and then fixing them in parking lots, but I think that's uncommon. What Allan said seems accurate to me based on other factory workers' reports.

DC-93 likes this.
  6. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

They can strip-out, or empty, the paint shop after the bake ovens. The rest of the line can feasibly just stop in place.

DC-93 likes this.
  7. thebluegoat

thebluegoat Active Member

We emptied the GM Ingersoll plant completely for this Covid shutdown.

rapidtrans likes this.
  8. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

My nephew that works in the GM assembly plant in Kansas City KS mentioned the same thing. On March 20 the line that builds Malibu and Cadillac XT4 was stopped after building and removing all vehicles. No partially assembled vehicles remain on the assembly line at this point in time. Same for the GM assembly plant in Arlington TX that builds SUV vehicles; Chevy Suburban, Cadillac Escalade, etc.

On a side note, my nephew has been reassigned job duties at a GM parts manufacturing facility in Kokomo IN. GM is partnering with Ventec to build ventilators which are used in treating severe COVID-19 patients. He says this is a monumental challenge to become a SME / subject matter expert in a few days. He is helping with training of workers who will do the actual assembly.

Ventec was only able to produce and test 1 ventilator per hour. GM wants to increase production to be able to produce 10 per hour. The Ventec parts suppliers could not meet this increased demand so GM reached out world wide and asked its supply base to step up to the challenge. So the parts are appearing in Kokomo. But you have new suppliers building and furnishing critical care components which they have never done before. So extra scrutiny in inspection and quality control is necessary before using the parts in the final assembly steps. IMO GM has never been known for high quality in vehicles so let's hope GM management can do this monumental feat.

Each ventilator after being fully assembled has to go thru a 48 hour test. Basically the ventilator is hooked up to a tank looking device to simulate a persons lungs and the test is performed. Once the ventilator passes final testing it is ready for shipment. So testing each device slows the build process but is necessary for critical care equipment. The GM facility is building 2 different types of ventilators. One is for intensive care use in a hospital environment and another is a mobile type ventilator.

#8 AllanC, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  9. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

I Am Completely Sure the Shut Downs were Well Planned.
    Even If It was Only Planed a Day or Two Ahead of Time.
    The Start Ups are Well Planned Too.

danbek, MJAB, tlc and 2 others like this.