AF: Logano testing Gen 7 car at Phoenix this week-looks pretty cool | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logano testing Gen 7 car at Phoenix this week-looks pretty cool

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 9, 2019.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

The nose looks like a Charger.

2. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

The whole thing looks like a Charger with a shorter trunk. Front, rear, side, fenders, wheels...

I wonder (full speculation, here), is that a Gen 7 Dodge hiding in plain sight?!?

Wouldn't it make sense if Dodge was working with NASCAR earlier than everyone else, since the other guys all have actual racecars to make? NASCAR needs someone to build bodies, test things, etc. The other OEMs all have racing programs to run; they are busy. Dodge wants to get back in. They have kinks to work out, they need to get a system setup again, and they have a lot of "free time" to work with while they wait. It would make sense to me that you'd get an OEM that was getting in, but currently not tied up, to put in the development work while you let the others keep racing. The trade off for the extra effort on the development would be extra insights to make them more competitive off-the-bat; it's a win-win.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I just got very excited about all of this!

AvengerGuy and Robert J Sublett like this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Asked my buddy at SRT and he said nothing is going on with Nascar.

Does look like they are using SRT wheels!

Nascar still doesn't get it. Get rid of the side skirts, get rid of the huge rear spoiler, get rid of the splitter!

Basically, get the car dirtier and limit the down force.

p.s. get rid of bump stops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a perfect case of less getting you more..

#4 DC-93, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    GaryS likes this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

5. mdh1776

mdh1776 Well-Known Member

Someone photoshopped this on Reddit. Looking good! Same it isn't real.

[​IMG]

hemi_magnum likes this.
  6. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I keep hoping to open up the Dodge Returned to NASCAR page and actually seeing that it's happening.
    Are you listening ??

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I'm listening, they aren't.
    They are busy merging companies.

mdh1776 likes this.
  8. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Those wheels steel or alloy?

9. mdh1776

mdh1776 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that is has been officially stated either way. They sure look like an alloy wheel to me though. Those wider tires look great.

DC-93 likes this.
  10. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

If alloy, be interesting to see how they hold up at Talladega.
    Easier on the rims since the cars aren't 3800 pounds like the "Golden Age" cars were!

mdh1776 likes this.
  11. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

12. Jerry Simcik

My thoughts exactly.

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It mentioned having a sequential gearbox with 6 gears now (like v8 super car series?), i wanna say 235/35/18 or something along those lines, and independent rear suspension. Those are the ones i could remember

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Dodge would have had to submit a vehicle for testing this past summer for consideration for the 2021 season (18 month lead time). To my knowledge, that didn't happen. I'm sure, even if done in secret, someone somewhere would have leaked it.

Yes, the current teams are busy preparing for 2020, but that doesn't mean they don't have the resources to prepare for 2021. The smaller underfunded teams may not have the resources, but the big boys (HMS, SHR, Penske, RFR, JGR) do. Besides, isn't 2021 suppose to be a composite body like the Xfinity series? No development needed by the teams.

15. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

The Oz Supercars have used a sequential Transaxles for many years.
    The gearbox and differential are together, and they run independent rear suspension.
    Maybe NASCAR is looking towards that way.

16. Jerry Simcik

That top paragraph only matter as long as NASCAR wants it to. They can waive their magic exemption wand at any time...

Also, how could ANY manufacturer submit a design for car which hasn't had its design parameters/constraints defined yet?

I bet they won't have the Gen 7 locked in until the end of the summer...

17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

From another site, by a guy that lives in NC, and works for Hendricks.

As far as the new car is concerned they have awarded the contract to produce the chassis to a company in Michigan called Technic. They currently supply the center section roll cage components and are gearing up for production. The transmission is located at the rear of the car and it is has independent rear suspension. Front and rear clips are to be a bolt on affair. It has a full belly pan. Aluminum wheels. Wider tires. What you see in the picture is the Nascar generic base car. The manufacturers are developing there own body panels from the greenhouse down so they will have common roofs , windshields back glass, A,B,and C pillars as well as common deck lids and body under pans. The manufacturers bodies must conform to a small aerodynamic box dictated by the generic body. They have talked about the desire to faze in hybrid and also stand alone electric motors ( we will see) All pieces of the car must be purchased from Nascar approved vendors. There will be no components built by the team shops. Here at Hendricks that means an end to our Carbon Components, Suspension components, body and chassis fabrication, our C and C operation ect. You get the picture. Lot's of people going home for good once this car is in place. While it is being sold as a cost cutting measure it is more a wealth consolidation program from where I stand. Lots of unhappy folks going to have to learn to code.

Doug D likes this.