Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longer lasting front rotors.

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by jerseyjoe, Jul 16, 2017.

1. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Reading about MOPAR rotors here, seems most are getting longer wear then me. Can't get more then 10,000 miles out of them. I drove in work trucks that get over 50k miles under same or more demanding conditions. I would like to know what rotor, pad combonation I can expect to get highest mileage. Both vehicles are base LX.

2. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

Might try drilled and slotted,we used to put them on 1999-2004 grand cherokees and thy didn't come back for warped rotors,used factory pads and got very good service from them

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Pad material can affect rotor life greatly. Metallics or semi-metallics are hard on rotors. Organics are softer and easier on rotors, but are obsolete as a modern pad material.
    I buy the plain, store-brand white box (generic) rotors and a set of premium store-brand ceramic pads. I find ceramics to be a rotor-friendly and low-dust pad material.
    Here in the Northeast, I average about 3 years between brake jobs and not because the pads wear out first. It is usually from rotors pitting on the inside surface.

4. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

Performance Friction carbon metallic pads are about as good as you can get. They have a lifetime warranty and have been very easy on rotors in my experience. There's a reason why most F1 teams use Performance Friction pads. Those guys know what they're doing. O'Reilly is the current supplier in my area. I'm using standard rotors (but premium grade) from parts stores. I agree that slotted and/or drilled are going to perform better under extreme conditions.
    The OEM rotors on my 09 T&C warped at under 20K. The Chinese replacements have about 65K on them so far and are still straight. It's quite possible that the OEMS were also Chinese and of a lower grade.

5. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

Nowadays rotors seem to be the wear item, not pads. If you observe todays drivers who follow too close, always applying the brakes when they get too close and aggressive braking have a lot do do with pre mature brake issues. I use the typical Chinese, name brand rotor and I seem to get 40-50k miles out of them. What I found which seems to help, at every tire rotation, I knock all the rust out of the " vents" on the rotor with a screw driver. It appears to me to aid in cooling.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

OEMs have to be Chinese. There are no rotors manufactured in the USA, haven't been for a number of years. The only rotor manufacturer who does any processing (machining and heat treating) in the US is Centric brand; they are still cast in China, but final processing here. All other brands are cast and processed in China.

pt006 likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I never had brake rotor issues on the LX cars I owned. Only replaced them on the Magnum because one was scored. Never warped them on any of these cars.

8. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Thankyou all, lots of choices here, going for rotors with high carbon content and ceramic pads. Let you know how it goes in about 6 months. :)