Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looked at a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by Dustincoc, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Dustincoc

Dustincoc Member

Long time, No post. Haven't had a Mopar since the end of 2009.

Currently in the market for a new vehicle and a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo came up for $1500. Went and took a look at it today. It's almost rust free, which is amazing for norther NY. The bad is it has an evap leak and is running rough. Also appears to be oil coming out the back breather. They also mentioned the Death Wobble problem. Front end tie rods and ball joints are included, but not yet installed. There's a crack in a vacuum line and also fuel injector problems, which is why they said its running rough/missing.

Link to the listing(hope this is OK to post, been so long I can't remember.): 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 Auto

2. Dustincoc

Dustincoc Member

No one has any idea if this is worth what he's asking?

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

We already know that it will need work. Would you be OK with dropping another $1000-$1500 into it? Sight unseen, I really can't attach a value to it or condemn it.
    As a 15 year old, 193K mile used vehicle, it may be a nickel and dimer. Grand Cherokees do hold their resale value well.
    Have you or can you test drive it for noises/shifting problems?
    Some Dana axles had bearing issues.
    The engine may have deeper problems with obvious excessive blow-by. The PCV vacuum orifice could plug on these (it wasn't an actual PCV valve, but a plastic line with a vacuum draw). If this is the case, I would feel better about it.
    The track bar and ball joints are also known as common wear points and can contribute to death wobble/tire wear.
    It may be hard to tell if the A/C blows cold this time of year, but come summer you may find out that it blows warm. Too many unknowns. Make sure that everything works.
    The fuel vapor evap leak will prevent it from passing NYSI.
    It does have a good low-rust body going for it for now, but rust doesn't stand still once it has begun.

4. Dustincoc

Dustincoc Member

Can test drive in the yard but didn't as I was planning on having my brother who's a mechanic take a look at it but had a blowup between him and our mother last night so probably not going to happen.

I can live without A/C as my last several cars haven't had it and it doesn't get all extremely hot in here in the summers.

I already have a plan for the evap leak as I have a way of finding them. I do often get a mouthful of gas if it comes to that way so I avoid it as much as possible.

I can afford another grand into it but that's pushing it.

I'm probably going to go look at a Subaru Forester sometime this week or next weekend depending on my work schedule. Supposedly very good underneath. Only rust I see in the pictures is a little behind a wheel well. 170k on it and asking $2000.

5. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Check the engine carefully for antifreeze in the oil, some of the post 98 4.0 engines had problems with cyl heads cracking, this is a well documented issue. It might have been solved by then, but maybe not. The evap is a big job, we had it done on our 98 Grand along with the heater core. If you look at an older Subaru, keep in mind they are known for blown head gaskets, esp on the 98-02 models, where a blown HG will cause overheating, bubbling and black discharge in the coolant recovery tank. They are good winter vehicles (we have a 98 Legacy Outback) but are prone to certain issues, like the HG issue, CV axles, seized front brake calipers (just replaced one yesterday!) leaky coolant transfer pipes on the top of the engine, we even had a rusted out gas filler pipe that leaked gas on the ground. Also had check engine light issues, caused by the knock sensor (2x) speed sensor (also 2x) and ignition misfires (bad spark plug wires, and also a beast to change, worst on any vehicle I've owned in 44 years of back yard mechanicing). Compared to the 98 Jeep, the 98 Subaru was more reliable initially, but as it aged, needed more and more expensive repairs.

6. Dustincoc

Dustincoc Member

My father looked at the checked the oil and didn't see anything unusual. looked fairly clean from what I saw.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Jeep. My current car scares me more and more every day. I have until the end of the year to fully switch over to the Jeep.

Money wise, although stretching my budget, I can't really beat it for the money. I've daily been searching Craigslist and Facebook for trucks and anything under $2k, which is my budget, is in need of a transmission, rear-end, or engine. Also they're mostly rotted to nothing. Even if it takes $1500 to get this thing running right, That's still less than I'd be paying for anything comparable. Even in the car category, I'd be hard pressed to find anything for the price and I'm not really considering them as I'm tired of fighting a FWD car 16.5miles through barely plowed roads in the morning to work.

Deciding factor was when I talked to my brother, who's a mechanic, and drives a similar Grand Cherokee and he said he didn't have time to look at(busy season) it but he'd snatch it out from under me if he had the money as the body's had it on his and he's fixing a Jeep Commander to replace it. My mother also wanted to trade me her truck for it, until she heard it run.

Right now the plan is to get it mechanically sound and on the road now(evap leak, new battery, engine issues, tires when I get the money), and drive it for the winter. I'll tackle the rustproofing in the spring when it becomes a little more hospitable out. Plan for that is to do the entire underside it POR-15 or similar, topped with chassis paint of some kind and finally an undercoating of some kind.

The day after I looked at it last week, we got almost a foot of snow, and its been on and off for a week. It's starting to melt off now.

#6 Dustincoc, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  7. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

It will be a great winter vehicle. We leave our '98 in full time 4x4 all winter. Both of our Jeeps and my wife's Subaru get studded snow tires in winter. This gives you the ultimate in safety for winter travel. All three are great in snow. Just don't get over-confident. A 4x4 can accelerate much harder in snow than a fwd or rear drive, but when it comes to stopping or turning its no different. The snow tires help greatly in that regard. Having a Jeep in winter is a beautiful thing.

8. Dustincoc

Dustincoc Member

Steering and stopping aren't the problem I'm having with the car, It's getting up a bunch of little hills. The state Hwy Dept throws down lots of salt and then doesn't go back later and plow it off, resulting in the road being like a hot, greasy pan and little traction.

9. Dustincoc

Dustincoc Member

Paid for it this morning($1300) and got the title. Be getting the insurance straight tonight and registering it tomorrow so I can drive it home(via a gas station as the tanks on aboutn an 1/8th). Also picked up a new battery as the one that's in it keeps going dead, The PO's battery for his truck also went dead so it appears to have developed some kind of battery drain while sitting, and a gas cap in case that's the evap. problem. Also picked up the Haynes manual for the Jeep so I have some reference as to what I'm looking at.

10. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Start hanging out a the WJ Grand Cherokee forum at www.jeepforum.com they have as much information as I've seen anywhere and I've been a Jeep nut for years.