Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking ahead: product pipelines

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

Yes, I know about the EU refresh.
    But I'm talking about an ALL-New 500.

2. Appassito

Appassito Member

An ALL new 500 will be not be soon.
    The 500 is like your Journey, just let it run with a few tweaks here and there.
    Makes good money.
    It really is a nice little thing for Europe and any we sell elsewhere is pure profit.

Good thing to give the whole worldwide production of 500 to Tychy Polska, very skill-full FCA plant.

Sukces fabryki Fiat Chrysler Automobiles w Tychach. Mimo tego, że zniknął Ford (at http://auto.dziennik.pl/aktualnosci/artykuly/558878,fabryka-fiata-w-tychach-wyprodukuje-w-2017-roku-ok-270-tys-samochodow.html )

Fabryka Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) w Tychach wyprodukuje w tym roku ok. 270 tys. samochodów, prawie tyle samo, ile przed rokiem - podali w sobotę przedstawiciele koncernu. Fabryce udało się zrekompensować ubytek produkcji związany z zaprzestaniem wytwarzania Forda Ka.
    W ubiegłym roku z linii produkcyjnej tyskiego zakładu zjechało 273,8 tys. aut, w tym ponad 12,6 tys. egzemplarzy Forda Ka, wytwarzanego w Tychach do wiosny 2016 r. na zlecenie koncernu Ford. Jednak tegoroczny wzrost produkcji marek FCA - Fiata 500, Abartha 500 i Lancii Ypsilon - niemal w całości zrekompensował ubytek w produkcji, która w całym 2017 r. ma osiągnąć wielkość ok. 270 tys. egzemplarzy, z czego ponad 200 tys. to Fiat i Abarth 500, a ponad 65 tys. - Lancia Ypsilon.

DeepL Translator (at https://www.deepl.com/translator )

The Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Factory (FCA) in Tychy will produce around 270,000 cars this year, almost the same amount as a year ago, the company's representatives reported on Saturday. The plant managed to compensate for the loss of production associated with the abandonment of Ford Ka's production.

Last year, 273.8 thousand cars descended from the production line of the Tychy plant, including more than 12.6 thousand Ford Ka units, produced in Tychy until spring 2016, commissioned by Ford. However, this year's increase in FCA brand production - Fiat 500, Abartha 500 and Lancii Ypsilon - almost entirely compensated for the production gap, which is expected to reach around 270 thousand units in 2017, of which over 200 thousand are Fiat and Abarth 500, and over 65 thousand - Lancia Ypsilon.

MoparJoe, BASONE88 and ScramFan like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Fiat 500 seems to be doing well.

4. BASONE88

Supporter

That is an interesting statement.

Thank you for the rest of your post, as well!

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The new Fiat 500 and Panda should arrive in 2019 and/or 2020, at least those are the rumors.

I think, but is only my opinion, that the new models will be base on a new version of Small "family of architectures".

There is a patent EP3118089 "UNDERBODY STRUCTURE FOR A MOTOR-VEHICLE", with priority date july 2015, in which is described a way to buld the floor strucutre of a vehicle of different segments with one having smaller dimension at lest in transversal direction.

3118089 UNDERBODY STRUCTURE FOR A MOTOR-VEHICLE (at https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=EP191057659&recNum=41&maxRec=89&office=&prevFilter=&sortOption=Pub+Date+Desc&queryString=ALLNAMES%3A%28FCA+Italy%29&tab=NationalBiblio )

ScramFan likes this.
  6. James A

James A Active Member

Large car spy shots????

BillyRaff likes this.
  7. Orsalak

Orsalak Active Member

We now know all about the JL Wrangler and the options we can currently order and some of the options that will be available in the future (diesel and electric engines). How much can we expect to carry over to the Scrambler (can we call it Scrambler, is that confirmed)? I see the reports about a removable hard top and a soft top. What about the power top? Will the interior dimensions be the same on the Scrambler as on the Unlimited? Will they make a Rubicon, Sahara, Sport S, and Sport? Or will it be more like the Ram trucks and have trim levels equivalent to Big Horn, Laramie etc? Guesses? Answers??

Zagnut27 likes this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

My guess is, that since it’s essentially a Wrangler with truck capabilities, that it would have the same trim levels. They’d want to accentuate the off-road capability of JT in relation to JL.

DarkSky and suzq044 like this.
  9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

^ What he said. Odds are it'll be Jeep nomenclature, not Ram. That'd make no sense.

DarkSky likes this.
  10. TripleT

Level III Supporter

No comment

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Some time back, we were told there would be no lower trims of the Jeep truck. But that was some time back. Things could have changed.

Orsalak likes this.
  12. Orsalak

Orsalak Active Member

I am sorry I wasn’t clear I didn’t think they would call it the exact same names as Ram but have the number of trim levels that Ram trucks have or if they would have a Rubicon. I ask mostly because of the Rubicon truck would have a lot to live up to and we know what the rear suspension looks like and it isn’t the same as the other Wranglers.

13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I did wonder too about the rear suspension and how useful it would be in a Jeep application, but I think it’s been used for Jeep before IIRC. I think it was developed by Jeep in the first place and then used by Ram? Maybe I’m thinking of something else...?

14. David S

David S Member

Yes of course it needs to be from a low cost source outside of NA. FCA owns several. The problem with what Sergio did was he moved the US to all high margin truck production and cut the middle margin product in his global product lineup. He should have continued cutting lower margin product at the lower cost factories. The margin on a $10K to $14K economy platform car is less than a $17K-$37K compact or midsize car. Betim, Brazil, Cordoba, Argentina, Bursa, Turkey, Ranjangaon, India and Changsha, China are all owned by FCA (the last 2 joint ventures). The US tariff rate is only 2.5%, that's $500 on a $20K vehicle. That isn't prohibitive like 10% from the EU ($2000 on a $20K vehicle). The lowest margin cars globally are the ones that should have stopped production, all of them Fiats.

Just look at the market and you will see it doesn't exist for a mainstream RWD compact and midsize sedan in the US, that market segment has been dead since the '80s. For an over $30K near luxury vehicle that segment is dominated by BMW and Mercedes. BMW holds 30% of the small RWD luxury car market, Mercedes holds 21%, BMW holds 23% of the midsize RWD luxury car market, Mercedes holds 29%. That's over 50% of the market for the top 2 brands. There is no room for Dodge to pursue that market, there is barely any room for Alfa.

On the other hand, the FWD market has much higher sales and no dominant model. This year the Civic is the top selling "compact" at a 19% share, it wasn't last year. The Corolla has fallen to 17%, the Sentra to 11%, there are over 6 other models with over 100K sales. It is a fluid segment that Chrysler and Dodge could successfully break into again. Camry has 21% of the midsize market, Accord has 18%, Altima has 15%, there are 4 other models with over 100K sales.

The other product that needs to be changed for the health of the brands is the CUVs. The low cost FWD Jeeps need to become Dodge models, the upper level FWD trims need to become Chryslers. In the US Jeep shouldn't have FWD models or models without good ground clearance, they are hurting the image of the brand. The Chrysler and Dodge CUVs would give a fuller lineup.

Then discontinue Fiat in the US.

15. David S

David S Member

That's funny. The only times you mentioned data in your posts were either half the story $5-6 billion, but only if it is a new platform, engine, transmsission, or flat out wrong with the tariff rate for importing cars into the US. Otherwise it is just you blindly stating your opinions. I have given you data in every one of my posts.

16. David S

David S Member

I don't trust the absolutist ideologies either.

I think we know that no large multiparty trade agreement is going to be signed by the president and ratified by congress in the next few years, so in that sense there is more certainty than if the election had gone the other way, since it was always uncertain if congress would ratify it. Britain has certainly added to the uncertainty, a bilateral trade agreement could be much easier to get than a multilateral one with the entire EU.

The tariff on cars into the US is only 2.5%, so it doesn't make much of a difference, the 25% on trucks is prohibitive, so they are produced in the US. The tariff on cars into the EU at 10% is prohibitive for mass market models, and reduces sales for luxury models from the US.

17. David S

David S Member

I think that would be more involved on behalf of the American worker, I don't see him working on behalf of the unions.

18. David S

David S Member

I wont argue from a volume perspective but just about every auto source is still classifying these as midsize which was why i was i had seemed surprised to see these particular cars on your list.[/QUOTE]

That's more a matter of marketing, the cars have actually grown to be large, but still lightweight. The nameplates were all midsize a decade ago.

Even more confusing with the "auto sources" such as goodcarbadcar is placing the Maxima and LaCrosse into the large car category when they are actually midsize. One generation of Maxima was large, but definitely not the current one, Buick replaced a large car in its lineup with the LaCrosse, but it actually isn't large although marketed as such, but not on the window sticker.

19. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Speaking with you is not worth my time...

MoparJoe and T_690 like this.
  20. T_690

T_690 Active Member

What if margin on Dart and 200 were lower than 2.5% or what if they had negative margin on them? Than your whole "plan" is flawed from the beginning.

We are not yet into production costs for new model, R&D cost...
    Dart siblings were killed in China. So that's also not an options.
    Some of factories you mentioned are not suitable for transportation into US. Not common routes so price of transportation would be to high.

tlc, DAGAR and ScramFan like this.