Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at the next Chrysler

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Dec 28, 2017.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

It looks like the Ford EcoSport. Would be an interesting direction if that's how they decide to go. Personally I'm more of a fan of the Mazda 5 route. Its fun to speculate.

2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

MoparJoe and DarkSky like this.
  3. dennisimperial

dennisimperial Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, nothing is resonating with anyone from The Chrysler brand these days.

4. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Because Customer clinics and research showed it had baggage that they did not want to carry over to the new product. Personal opinions aside from a Fan forum sometime as a group we are blind to things like this. Regardless, water under the bridge, on can say the Pacifica Launch has not been pretty good and it is superior product. T&C would fit nice in a Large CUV though agreed. Nice reboot for the name.

AlfaCuda and hotmach like this.
  5. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Agree.
    I can think of maybe two names with a positive image to the general public. Hemi and Jeep.
    I don't think Charger or Challenger would have been as successful without the Hemi association.
    And you're right, the Chrysler brand isn't even on the general public's radar.

MoparJoe, aldo90731 and valiant67 like this.
  6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I agree with @BobbiBigWheels

[​IMG]

That looks really really good.

[​IMG]

Ralph would approve. Except for the wheels of course... lol

danbek, codypet, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks better than the concept.

8. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Big improvement.

9. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Please accept this as my apology for using the directional wheels, Ralph. ;)
    Portal4.jpg

10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

Approved. lol

MoparJoe, codypet, suzq044 and 4 others like this.
  11. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Honestly, Chrysler had better do a much more attractive vehicle than what I'm seeing here. It looks like 99% of the stuff already out there.

So how does a late to the game, clone, steal share from another brand without some kind of hook, money on the hood from the start, or some truly outstanding, innovative features? I do believe we have already peaked on crossover/suv sales potential, so some one needs to convince me, as a buyer, why I would want this particular piece, especially as it doesn't really offer anything new, except possibly a phev power train in a time of historically low gasoline prices?

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Good thing it's jsut some people with free time put together something of what it could look liek and not the actual designers

suzq044 and Deckard_Cain like this.
  13. TripleT

Level III Supporter

The use of Vertical space for transport has not peaked... it is just starting its rise in EU and Asia. The trick in NA will to move the discount sedan crew to adopt and to capture the Millennials who lean towards the sharing economy and are tech savy. The Portal is a clear attempt to do both. Use Vertical space and capture the tech heavy Millennials and Zs. Advance powertrain... digital nannies .... and usefulness.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sad thing is, is the Portal is basically what Ford has already been offering. But just labeled in a hipster kind of way and slightly bigger.

[​IMG]

The Ford C-Max Hybrid.

I do have to laugh at the whole millennials persona. First of all, I was raised and told that I was a Generation Y child, now I am a millennial. Classified in a group that hates cars and thinks car sharing is what is cool and hip. First of all, growing up in Michigan... turning 16 and getting your license was a big deal. Second, car culture is still huge. I don't know any people who think car sharing is a good idea. Maybe for people in New York City, Chicago or San Francisco where it's like $400/week to park a car. But in the midwest... ahhh no. Third of all, I don't know any one who really think mini minivans are cool. I mean my first vehicle was a minivan and I love the purpose and function of a minivan, but I have never had compliments driving a minivan like I have driving a truck, SUVs or hell a Charger. So I guess I don't really see how everyone is going to be driving these things. If muscle cars die again like they did in the early 2000s, I will be either back in a pickup truck or a body on frame SUV. I can't see an entire generation of people wanting to drive something that looks like that fugly Google errr Waymo thing.

[​IMG]

But realistically I see more plug in Wranglers being sold and vehicles like it, than these mini minivan millennial mobiles. Just my .02.

fargo59, HotCarNut, jimboy and 9 others like this.
  15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That’s what a car ends up looking like when it’s been designed by a computer geek. :D

I agree with you that the industry has made a bigger deal of Millennials than it ought to.

In my mind there are two key ways in which Millennials represent a significant shift:
    1. They are replacing Baby Boomers as the driving force behind automobile purchases in North America.
    2. They had put off getting a drivers license because of the Great Recession, and grew up used to being driven around by their parents.
    But we are already finding out that, as Millennials move out of the house, get a job and get married, they behave increasingly like their parents. Including buying a house in the burbs, and doing foolish things like extracting cash out of their homes to pay for vehicles that cost way more than they can afford.

And yes: from a consumer benefits analysis perspective, we all are most likely going to be driving some sort of hybrid powertrain within the next 10 years.

HotCarNut, UN4GTBL and Erik Latranyi like this.
  16. TripleT

Level III Supporter

The notion that Millennials are a homogeneous group is wrong.... but the auto companies are going to have to find a way to market to the subsection. My son is on the bottom edge of that Classification and he has a Challenger R/T, his one friend tunes Cummins, his other friend has Mazda 3, and another Corolla that was sad when he saw for the same money he could have got a low mileage car like my suns..... But the practical mind family care will be something taller, and everything will be at least a Mild hybrid in 5 years.

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

received_10213653001454825.jpeg

When I was in high school my two best friends and I drove the vehicles above. My one friend had a 1991 Pontiac Firebird, my other friend a 1994 Toyota Corolla DX (which replaced his beat up Dodge Shadow) and I had a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Sport. Fast forward to today (16 years later), my buddy with Firebird is married with two kids so he has a 2017 GMC Terrain SLT AWD, my buddy with Corolla has a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT HELLCAT and I have my 2014 Dodge Charger R/T...

I don't see any of us driving anything like a C-Max. I had a second car thats a 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid which has 203,000 miles on it. Thats about as millennial as it is getting...

20171229_222335.jpg

18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Needs more cowbell. :D:p

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  19. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

The auto industry rarely targets any demographic group accurately. Their track record is abysmal.

As @TripleT said, treating any group as homogenous is a mistake.

I can tell you that nobody at FCA knew Dodge would appeal to younger buyers.....but it does........just like nobody at Chrysler thought the PT Cruiser would appeal to older buyers.....but it did.

There are more marketing misses in the auto industry than hits.

20. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Huh? The whole rebranding of Dodge was to target a more youthful market. o_O

UN4GTBL likes this.