Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at the next Chrysler

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Dec 28, 2017.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Millennials do not exist, except for the idiots in marketing that are typically old white people. Dividing people by age group is annoying and demeaning to those who are in those made up 'groups'. They're stereotypes. Sure, some people live up to those, but the vast majority do not, and hate being called by whatever generation that marketing had decided to loop us into. How many of the descriptors of any of these generations is positive? Pretty much none of them.

We need to stop separating people into groups. Lol

50-something year old marketers are never going to be able to accurately market to 16-25 year olds. At least not on purpose.

#41 suzq044, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    marlon_jbt, humdrum, Ian and 13 others like this.
  2. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Millenial daughter (25) likes her 07 Sebring. Millenial friend (26) has an 89 Cummins and a 56 Packard Clipper.

fargo59, Zagnut27, MoparJoe and 3 others like this.
  3. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

That has been the effect, but don't you think the designs were executed to appeal to those who were young during the late 60s and early 70s? That was when muscle cars were the rage. Who really knew that a retro design like Challenger would appeal so well to people who were born a decade or more later?

4. suzq044

A good design appeals to all that see it. Chrysler is good at design. They're just not so great at customer retention, when it comes down to it. For many reasons that can usually be oversimplified to quality.

And fyi. Millennial refers to anyone born between 1980 and 2000. So your 35-37 year old friends are also millennials. It's an absurdly wide group of ages and interest range. Not to mention upbringing differences. Especially, given the huge amount of change in tech that has happened between those two years. You're talking from the birth of the internet as we know it, to the advent of social media. Let alone everything else in between. Like I said. Labeling helps nobody.

#44 suzq044, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. TripleT

Level III Supporter

basically they are trying to find a way to get Urban tech savvy share economy youth a product to appeal to them. There is nothing wrong with that, it just a tough nut to crack as they lean toward wanting a Tesla or Prius .... so getting them to jump to Chrysler will be tough, but it starts in powertrain.

6. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think design is the most important part of making a car appealing.

I am a young millennial, and my first two cars were Chevy vehicles, but my last four have been Chrysler products. I think there is just something inherently appealing to everyone about a company that puts emotion into their designs. I also don’t think there is any recent vehicle from FCA that could be called boring in terms of design. Chrysler (FCA) products just stand out to me because they aren’t designed as appliances and there is meticulous thought that goes into the design and details.

I just watched the Abstract: The Art of Design episode with Ralph Gilles again and I am just blown away by how much time and energy went into the Portal. It stood out to me as being weird the first time I saw it, but it grows on my every time I’ve seen it since then. I think that if Chrysler devotes the same energy and design influences into its next vehicles they will be very successful, maybe not as sales leaders, but in terms of how influential their design is to the car industry at a time when many companies seem interested in only making appliances.

7. Fastscat

Fastscat Member

This should of been the PACIFICA! As I mentioned in a previous post, they should of left the new RU (Pacifica) the Town and Country. Rumour has it that this new platform will be built at the Windsor location where Pacifica is assembled. Makes sense being it is the same platform.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. Charger383

Charger383 Active Member

Just because you don't like something -- doesn't make it untrue.

There will always be generations of people with shared experiences. I am happy to be part of Generation X. I feel the Millennials had a really crappy experience.... their childhood -- growing up with terrorism for their entire lives.

Gen X's definitely got a pretty nice break growing up in the 1980's. Cold War ended.... Amazing cartoons and toys. We were the first generation to grow up with video games. A lot of people disrespect Millennials, but I personally don't. IMO they went to through a lot of stress as kids, so I cut them a lot of slack.

In my experience, most Baby Boomers embrace being part of their respective generation as do Gen X. Stereotypes wouldn't exist if there wasn't some truth to them, too. Self reflection is never a bad thing.

bluskye likes this.
  9. Charger383

Charger383 Active Member

Just because you don't like something -- doesn't make it untrue.

There will always be generations of people with shared experiences. I am happy to be part of Generation X. I feel the Millennials had a really crappy experience.... their childhood -- growing up with terrorism for their entire lives.

Gen X's definitely got a pretty nice break growing up in the 1980's. Cold War ended.... Amazing cartoons and toys. We were the first generation to grow up with video games. A lot of people disrespect Millennials, but I personally don't. IMO they went to through a lot of stress as kids, so I cut them a lot of slack.

In my experience, most Baby Boomers embrace being part of that generation as do Gen X. Stereotypes wouldn't exist if there wasn't some truth to them, too. Self reflection is never a bad thing.

10. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure how someone born in 1980 is considered a millennial.o_O If you know what cassettes are or what a pager is or remember how horrible the Patriots were before Tom Brady, you are not a millennial. Get your flannel and join the rest of us X-ers.:cool:

srtdrew, AlfaCuda, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I scion XB was made for young folks but it was seniors that bought it. For a compact it had huge amount of space. Its hard to beat a box for room.

12. suzq044

I was born in 83. I grew up in the 80s and 90s. I'm still considered a millennial along with the steteotypes that advertising likes to use.

Deckard_Cain and UN4GTBL like this.
  13. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

I'm all in!

(late 80's here)

wtxiceman and GasAxe like this.
  14. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I’m an originalist—if you grew up with MTV your not a genX-er. Gibson rules, after all.

15. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Eh, I'm the same age and I don't mind being called a millenial.
    All those articles blaming the millenials for decrepit industries and corporations declining, or shitty marketing targeted at boomers not working for them just make me laugh.
    Screw the marketers that are incompetent and can't adjust their message to millenials. Screw the companies that are pernicious to society, the environment and that just want to keep their position without changing.

suzq044 likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You darned kids, get off my lawn.

humdrum, Zachary, dakota21 and 10 others like this.
  17. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Active Member

Thought of that quote from Gran Torino !! LOL

Attached Files:

suzq044 likes this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Or

Followed by..

wtxiceman and KrisW like this.
  19. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

I'm going to have to side with those who say generational marketing doesn't work and I can certainly point to an abysmal track record (as others have already done). The law of averages dictates that sometimes the marketers will get it right, and even a moron can get it right at the extremes (expensive cars are purchased by older people, cramped sports cars by limber, younger folk).

Within each generation there are also subsets. The "greatest generation" person who sought a draft-deferment. The baby-boomer who wants no association with hippie culture. The X'er raised by grandparents without MTV. The millennial who doesn't have a FB account. If predictive behavior modeling worked... I'll leave it there, but let's just say all kinds of things happened in 2017 that didn't follow conventional logic (thankfully).

Let's be honest; what many dress up as marketing is really just getting paid to stereotype. (I picked this one because it's a Mopar!)

[​IMG]

Years from now we'll laugh (or be offended at) millennial marketing as much as the ad above.

Make a product that is very good and people break any stereotype to buy it. You want to know what these people have in common?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably not a thing beyond the car. (Actually, I could make an argument for what they do have in common, but that's for another day.)

The Pacifica succeeds because, like the 300 it's a great, class-leading vehicle. It would have succeeded as a Town & Country, without throwing away the equity. As far as I'm concerned, most (but not all) of the marketing people Chrysler employs are parasites shuffling nameplates to give the appearance of "work". The money would be better spent on product. The names will sort themselves if the product is right... actively burning bridges is stupid.

#59 Lee N. Burns, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    suzq044, hemi_magnum, somber and 4 others like this.
  20. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Pacifica better than T&C. many name change have been silly, this one made sense.

DarkSky, ScramFan and GasAxe like this.