Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for fuel tank vent valve

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by Artie K Car, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Artie K Car

Artie K Car New Member

Hi All,
    I have an '88 Reliant and need to find a replacement for the fuel tank vent valve. I have searched ALL parts sources, and no one has it. I know that there's a part from Dorman BUT it only has one port on it, whereas the Reliant has an inlet & an outlet. If the part is available, even used, then I may be interested OR if anyone has used the single port type valve and was able to do something with the in & out fuel hoses.... Thanks in advance

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. Artie K Car

Artie K Car New Member

The valve as shown in the service manual is the correct one. The alternate valve will not work + that PN is for the grommet only. I guess I will have to try another idea, which is to glue the broken piece back on. I am very surprised that no one has this valve !! It was used on many different vehicles for a 10 + year period. Thanks for trying "Mr Crown"

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Any pictures of your broken one??

Thanks
    Randy

5. bamman

bamman Part Connoisseur

The two rollover valves perform the same function. The earlier two port valve had the second port to vent sudden excess pressure (but not gasoline) to the atmosphere. The later one port valve was engineered with a built in orifice to vent excess pressure back to the charcoal canister instead of the atmosphere. The later valve, part number J5360058 with grommet 52018823, has been reported to work in our applications.

6. Artie K Car

Artie K Car New Member

[​IMG]

It looks similar to this one but there is a second tube that extends out the opposite side + it has a rubber grommet, not a metal cap on the end

7. Artie K Car

Artie K Car New Member

The later valve may work, BUT there is still what looks like a fuel line that goes to the vapor canister ( I will have to verify that when I can get out and look at the vehicle ) + you write that the valve works in "our" applications..........I presume that's the 3 vehicles you have listed ?? Being in California, I need to be sure that whatever I install will not violate the emissions testing

8. bamman

bamman Part Connoisseur

Let me clarify. There are two rollover valves used in 86-95 Chrysler vehicles. The rollover valve used in 1986-1990 model year vehicles was part number 4279941. This valve featured two nipples on it. One nipple that vented to atmosphere and one nipple that connected to the vapor canister.

The rollover valve used in 1991-1995 model year vehicles was part number 4495069. This was the “combination” pressure relief and rollover valve. The single nipple will connect to the vapor canister.

Both valves perform the same function.

The J5360058 valve is another combination valve reported to work perfectly in both the 4279941 and 4495069 applications.

Will the J5360058 violate any California emission laws? I do not know for certain. If California drops the fuel tank and removes the valve to inspect the part number it may fail. If they pressurize the fuel tank, all three valves should perform in the exact same manner. A quick google search revealed that in some rollover valves with a vent, some people capped the vent and that failed the California smog test. Removing the cap allowed it to pass. That is the only thing I found when searching for rollover valves and California emission testing.