Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for information on 1977 dodge charger daytona

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by master charger, Nov 15, 2017.

1. master charger

master charger New Member

I have one of these with the 400 lean burn and a moonroof . been told its very rare. anyone have info o production numbers??

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

In that body style, the Daytona was a trim option, not a separate model. You might find separate production numbers for them, but I don't know where. I'm not at home to consult the Standard Catalog; IC's link provided a total of 36,000 Chargers for the '77 model year, which might be as close as you'll find. That said, your combination of the 400 engine and moon roof isn't common. But even in #1 condition, I doubt that value is more than 4 figures. Nada only lists the Charger SE:

1977 Dodge Charger Special Edition 2 Door Hardtop Values (at http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1977/Dodge/Charger-Special-Edition/2-Door-Hardtop/Values )

Here are some specs for the 1977 Daytona, with all of the available engines:

1977 Dodge (USA) Charger 4gen Daytona full range specs (at http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/dodge/charger_4gen/charger_4gen_daytona/1977.html )

4. master charger

master charger New Member

Has anyone ever heard how they ran these through the line with all the stickers and 2 tone paint. ?

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

A member here owns a 76 or 77. Silver and black, last I knew it had about 35K miles on it a few years ago, looked mint.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

You might want verification from someone who works in one of the plants, or in the company, but I don't think the mechanical assembly process would have been any different. My understanding is that the bodies are assembled elsewhere, and shipped to the factories to be dropped onto the frames when they're ready.

8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Just like any two tone - the car was painted one color as normal, then masks were applied and the second color was added.
    Pin stripes of the era at Chrysler were decals, not paint, so the decals used here were different but likely still part of the normal process.

9. valiant67

Level III Supporter

These were unibody cars, no body to drop on a frame. The unibody assembly was dropped over a subframe with the front suspension and engine and the separate rear axle. The car is basically a Cordoba, so the assembly pictures here are how they were put together. These cars were all built in Windsor.
    Chrysler Cordoba: beyond Corinthian leather (at https://www.allpar.com/model/cordoba.html )

Scrounge and Bob Lincoln like this.
  10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

For some reason, production detail isn't as available for 1977 Charger as it was for other cars of the era.
    All the breakdown is that there were 42,542 Charger SEs made that year (all Daytonas were Charger SEs).
    However, for the 1977 Cordoba, 163,138 were made and only 12,270 had the sunroof. Moonroof is a Ford term, Chrysler's description was sales code M52, Sun roof - manually operated. As you can see below, Daytona was an appearance package on the Charger SE, no mechanical upgrades were included. The Daytona package first appeared on the 1976 Dodge Charger SE.

For 1977 Charger Special Edition with Daytona package added:
    * Choice of 3 Daytona two tone paint combinations.
    * Grill treatment with bright and secondary paint color accents.
    * Dual outside mirrors, color keyed to exterior body paint.
    * Daytona accent tape stripes at two-tone paint borders.
    * Charger Daytona name decals on body side and deck lid.
    * Standard vinyl bucket seats, optional corduroy and vinyl bucket seats or 60/40 seat.
    * Shag floor carpeting color keyed to interior.

11. Old Mike

Old Mike Member

I don't have numbers on how many were built, but I've been regularly browsing the old car websites over several years, to see what's out there and I can tell you 77's of any type don't show up that often. And when they do, they usually have the 360. A lot of the plain Chargers, as well as the Cordobas have the 318. Value wise, the cleaner and more original, the better. Everyone knows which cars truly bring the big dollars, but there are other cars that are sort of off the radar that sell for respectable money. Take the time to look at Hemmings or some of the other sites and you should be able to ballpark where your car sits.