Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for my Great-Grandfather's B-Body

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Wickerman314, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Wickerman314

Wickerman314 Member

Hey everyone! First post here, as it seemed the logical place to hunt down some information.

In late 1969/early 1970, my great-grandfather purchased a Dodge muscle car. The problem inherent is that no one can remember enough specific details for me to hunt it down, and the DMV doesn't have any records from back then. Unless I can provide a VIN.

Mom and I were watching Graveyard Carz, and she saw a 1970 Roadrunner and shouted, "That's Papa Duncan's car!" We then looked through a few of my muscle car books, and her answers were horribly inconsistent. However, my uncle told me that it was a 1970 Coronet with a "383 Hemi". I know that engine doesn't exist, but everyone who ever told stories said that it had a big V8 that was "too much" for Papa Duncan to handle. He traded it in, and died shortly thereafter. If any pictures exist (which I don't think they ever did), they were lost when my grandparents died.

I do have a few very specific details that were pieced together:

It was likely a 1969 or 1970 Dodge B-Body. Mom's most consistent answers match my uncle's that it was a 1970 Coronet
    It was painted FF4 Light Green Metallic and had WHITE interior
    I don't believe it had a vinyl top, but if it did, it was white as well (this part of the story is fuzzy for me)
    There was some kind of white stripe on the sides, but not the Bumblebee stripe
    It had a large V8
    It would have been bought in Western Kentucky, possibly from Bentonville

Any possible resources would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what happened to it, and if it's out there on the market, I intend to purchase it once I get out of grad-school.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

DMV is correct. Without the VIN it will be much harder to track down.

Only suggestion I would have is to hire a private investigator.

More than likely it has gone to the graveyard heaven. I haven't seen a Coronet in years. A few late 60's Chargers, yes, but Coronets no.

3. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Quite possible that car's gone although, the survival rate of factory 426 cars seems to be much higher.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, being a Dodge instead of a Plymouth, the Coronet does make sense, and there were Coronet stripes that were different than the wraparound bumbebee stripes, too. Too bad there aren't any old records, or remembrances as to where the car was purchased, some of the old Dodge dealerships might have kept records back to then, otherwise, old papers in file keeping of an old registration.

5. zrxkawboy

zrxkawboy Active Member

To me, your best course of action is to purchase a similar car and, if you desire, change any details needed to match your great-grandfather's car.