Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for my uncle's 1964 Sport Fury convertible

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by desotocrazy, Dec 28, 2017.

1. desotocrazy

desotocrazy Active Member

Hello... long shot here... but I'm looking to find out what happened to my uncle's 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible. He was the original owner back in late 1963 and lived in Hamtramck at the time he bought the car (possibly at Johnny Motors). The car was triple black, 426, auto transmission. He traded it in after a year or two for a Valiant station wagon... you know for the kids. Ha ha. Anyways, after he traded it in in Centerline,MI, it was missing from the used car lot the very next day, never to be seen again. Possibly dealer traded or sent to auction?

He did some of his own work on the car and often told of how he welded his initials on the frame in the engine bay. If you know of the car, please email me. I'd like to see what it looks like today and show it to him if possible. The car has some serious automotive history today he could fill you in on.

Thanks,
    Desotocrazy

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Two things in its favor: the Sport Fury is the most collectible Fury, and it had a 426 (I'm guessing Wedge). One major problem: rust, if it stayed in Michigan. It might have been scrapped before the Tigers won the World Series. However, convertibles are often garaged during the winter months, especially in the north.

You'll need the VIN to start tracing it. I don't know how much help the Michigan DOT is: some states have privacy laws that forbid tracing a vehicle through its ownership, unless you're with the government. Maybe you could say you want to buy the car, but it doesn't have a title. A Michigan title search has a moderate fee:

SOS - Title Histories (at http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1611-28744--,00.html )

3. desotocrazy

desotocrazy Active Member

Yeah... no paperwork with the vin exists any longer; hence, my going through the forum to find out if someone here might own it or know of someone who has it.

Thank you for the tip though.