Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing gears

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by Bob ONeill, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

I've been dealing with a shifting problem for months now. I changed my shifter some time back and the 'new' or replacement seemed to 'lose' gears.

It was hard to get into gear sometimes...

The key word here is 'sometimes'. It would be great for a day or so then all of a sudden it would not go into 5th. The next morning it would be hard to go into 1st but it would and I could drive the car.

Sometimes when I shift into 3rd I felt two 'clicks' and after that it would not go into 5th.

So, I had to resolve this as it was becoming more than annoying.

Yesterday I removed the console and inspected the shifter. There was some 'play' in the shaft so I thought I would reduce it. As I was working toward that I realized that the sleeve was actually not the problem but that the shifter handle itself was the problem. It seems that the sleeve is swedged onto the shifter handle and that 'fit' was loose. So, the entire handle was moving forward more than 0.250" on the sleeve which rides on the shaft. I then filled the space with a stack of washers so now it cannot move off the sleeve.

So far I've not had a grind where the gear could not be engaged. It is not as smooth as my other shifter so I'm sure I'll have to adjust the cables again.

I write this not to report my success but rather to suggest to others that when they are experiencing a shifting problem with the first gen tranny/shifter, look at the play in the shifter to see if there is any excess slop in the way the shifter moves around.

Bob Lincoln and ka9yhd like this.
  2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Great information, Bob. I'm sure it's going to help someone else, whether or not they let you know.

3. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

I went through the adjustment procedure many times as per the service manual for my 1987 Shelby CSX. Out racing one night and take off in 1st into 2nd gear was fine then went for 3rd gear and it jammed and would not go in.
    I have noticed after driving several Dodge Shadows all with the A 520 5 speed they all felt different while shifting. One car while shifting from 1st into 2nd gear the reverse gear lockout button in the center of the knob would take a hop.

4. Perrym1229

Perrym1229 New Member

Hey Bob, I had a White with Beige interior 86 Turbo Z C/S and then later a 90 Shelby VNT. My question is that your intake manifold looks like one from an 88 and up T1, why did you go with that instead of keeping it original. I thought show cars need to look as original as possible. But then again the drivability of the later manifolds were better. Did you also change it from a pull through to a push through?