I've been dealing with a shifting problem for months now. I changed my shifter some time back and the 'new' or replacement seemed to 'lose' gears. It was hard to get into gear sometimes... The key word here is 'sometimes'. It would be great for a day or so then all of a sudden it would not go into 5th. The next morning it would be hard to go into 1st but it would and I could drive the car. Sometimes when I shift into 3rd I felt two 'clicks' and after that it would not go into 5th. So, I had to resolve this as it was becoming more than annoying. Yesterday I removed the console and inspected the shifter. There was some 'play' in the shaft so I thought I would reduce it. As I was working toward that I realized that the sleeve was actually not the problem but that the shifter handle itself was the problem. It seems that the sleeve is swedged onto the shifter handle and that 'fit' was loose. So, the entire handle was moving forward more than 0.250" on the sleeve which rides on the shaft. I then filled the space with a stack of washers so now it cannot move off the sleeve. So far I've not had a grind where the gear could not be engaged. It is not as smooth as my other shifter so I'm sure I'll have to adjust the cables again. I write this not to report my success but rather to suggest to others that when they are experiencing a shifting problem with the first gen tranny/shifter, look at the play in the shifter to see if there is any excess slop in the way the shifter moves around.