AF: Lots of product information | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of product information

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ShawnP, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:14 PM.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

In lead, follow, or get out of the way;
    Clearly FCA is in follow mode based on that article, at least where they haven’t gotten out of the way. Let everyone else get established, and introduce electrification if your sales are affected.

somber and gforce2002 like this.
  2. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

They seem to feel the same way about three row compact and mid-size crossovers at the heart of the current market.

jclick likes this.
  3. HanksHemi

HanksHemi Member

Do you think they might try to make a Jeep and brand it Charger or Challenger or 300? Just asking.

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Yeah they don't seem to know how to move forward on that front. Honestly, I'd rather see them keep all the Jeep Utes rear/awd north south powertrain and give the other ones to Chrysler. They could better concentrate on on road manners with a softer off road pedigree. But that probably won't happen so it doesn't leave much for Chrysler, or Dodge. Dodge would be better to keep the Durango the way it is and give Ram the lower priced bof version of the upcoming Wagoneer.

5. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Maybe it's me but a electric truck tie up is to be had.

This company has built a few models but needs hundreds of millions of dollars to be able to mass produce it's product. It has a big factory on a major Interstate and on a major railroad.

What if FCA/Stellantis buys Lordstown Motors and converts their Endurance pick up truck to a Ram? I'm not a auto engineer but can a electric pick up be built on the same line as a diesel so to speak?

Lordstown was a 400k capacity factory for GM. Say for Ram it's a 300k plant with 100k electric, 200k HD or chassis (Sergio BADLY wanted more chassis capacity).

With Lordstown at 300k, Sterling Heights Assembly at 450k, Warren Truck at 200k as a overflow plant.

This could give FCA/Stellantis a great PR coup as it would show that even as the merger was happening. That the new company was investing in and staying in America.

This obviously would be a 2-3 billion dollar plan. Hopefully the feisty UAW local in Lordstown would buy it.

Just throwing something out.

6. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Lordstown doesn't have a truck, they have a drawing of a truck. That company isn't going anywhere and won't be, just another EV rendering company.

7. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, the Italian American automaker.
    Cant remember, what does NV stands for ?

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The holding company Exor in the Netherlands but the Agnelli family owns/runs them too

9. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Naamloze Vennootschap (Dutch: Limited Liability Company)

10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

This is no time for FCA to be on a shopping spree when most of the auto industry (including FCA)...is bleeding cash..

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

More than $3 billion.

HotCarNut likes this.
  12. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Perhaps incorrectly, whenever i see articles pronouncing NV the Italian ... i frame everything written as having an agenda or bias. Unless ignoring the NV and highlighting Italian is an advantage in NA that im missing.

13. Adventurer55

FCA already has a truck. As far as electric versions go, for once, I agree with their strategy. Wait and let someone else blow a wad of cash no one really has right now while gas is under two bucks. That's not to say engineers couldn't play around and have a plan ready if Ram needs one.

tlc and Tony K like this.
  14. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Main reason for getting Lordstown Motors/plant is for the plant.

Ram is losing sales with HD's being in Saltillo. I'll say 50-75k sales. At 15k profit per HD that's 900 million roughly being lost. Say Lordstown Motors/plant cost 3-4 billion. That investment pays off in 5 years or less

Plus Stellantis/FCA needs more than just words to show that it is committed to the American customer/factory worker.

Buying a plant would show it's in it for the long haul.

15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't figure out what you mean here.. (not trying to make a quip, I think your post got autocorrected into something odd? )

16. Adventurer55

Respectfully, how did you come up with the figure they're losing 50 to 75k in sales? Saltillo, while it is in Mexico, is one of their newer plants in NA opened in the mid 90s I believe and consistently has always had good build quality. They need to stay away from Lordstown.

17. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I’d like to see the next Ram Classic go slightly downsize. It’s already smaller than the new 1500 in all dimensions. Being more compact might allow for lighter weight and a corresponding smaller battery pack needed for a full on BEV. Is that more or less likely than a Promaster City flatbed BEV do you think?