Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Buck Slant Six Race Car

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Charrlie_S, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Couple of reasons. I run "race" converters, and found it is more difficult to have a converter built with the small splines. By having the converter built with the small crank pilot, and the large splines, gives me more options, since race converter prices start about $400, and go up from there.
    1) early engine, early trans with the later front parts.
    2) early engine, late trans
    3) late engine, with pilot adapter ring, and early trans, with the late front parts.
    4) late engine , with the pilot adapter ring, and a late trans.

PS the larger splines are stronger, but should not be an issue with a slant

2. barracuda

barracuda Member

You wouldn't happen to know the count on the splines for the two types?
    I'm on my way to the rebuild shop, would like to know what I have.
    I did a quick count of 18 and 27 on the two splines.
    Thanks, Barracuda.

3. dartley

dartley Member

FYI - POR15 itself is not considered to be a rust converter. The company sells many products - I've used a few of them - and one of these is Metal-Ready, which is a rust neutralizer and metal etcher. However the specific product POR15 is considered to be a Rust Preventative Coating (according to their web-site) ... http://www.por15.com/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I have used Metal-Ready, POR-15 and Por Patch, and I have found that they work well. But proper application procedure - as with all paint and paint type applications - is very important. You'll see on their site that they have a 4 step system for application.

Just thought this info might be helpful.

~Bill

4. rocky7997

rocky7997 Guest

I second the turbo comment. :) I remember seeing a few websites a while back and recall a twin turbo 225 getting somewhere around 475hp at the rear wheels. I beleive plymouth put em on some of the smaller cars stock back in the late 50's and early 60's. You can get turbo units fairly cheap sometimes at pick-n-pulls and other yards. I had a few other websites about it that told you wich ones to use. I'll do some digging and see if I can find them again.

5. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

As far as I know, Mopar never used a turbo, untill about 1987, in the 2.2 liter "K" cars. Gm used a turbo on the Corvair, and the Buick "special", and Olds "F-85", in the '60's. My 65 Valiant 170, has a turbo from a Corvair.

6. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Along with the Buick Grand National, some 1984+ Ford Mustang/T'bird 4 cylinder coupes, the 1980 Pontiac Trans Am 301 V8 and a few other RWD Detroit vehicles prior to 1990

7. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

I agree, but I was just refering to the 1960's, in particular, Mopars.

Got a little more work done on the 66 Valiant this week. Painted the 3.91 sure grip 7 1/4 rear, springs, spring plates and installed everthing with all new spring/shackle bushings. I previously had a welder friend come over and repair some rust thru on the left rear frame rail, in exchange for the labor on a rear brake job on his Dodge PU.

8. benevolance

benevolance Member

Charlie,

How much boost are you wanting to run on the slant? If you have a decent forged piston can you run 10:1 pistons with a turbo or will it burn holes in the tops of the pistons?

I had thought of a hyper pak homemade turbo set up....There have even been homemade manifolds to accept turbo units...I think they are trying to sell them at slant six.org

The turbo off the SVO mustang and the later daytona's had an intercooler on it...I always thought to run a car with turbo and run it wil AC so that the feedback could cool the intercooler... Ideas?

9. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

With my setup I would not run over 9:1, and had been running about 8:1. Some have run 10:1, but it takes a lot more special parts. I have been running TRW forged stock replacement pistons, but just bought a set of Venolia pistons off e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...9835&rd=1,1
    Hopefully I can increase my boost from about 10-12 lbs to about 20.

Not very good Pics of my turbo setup, http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/schmid.html

10. racer135

racer135 Member

got any pics of your valiant? ive got a whole bunch on my www.cardomain.com account (link below). if ya have time check out one of the topics i started here about carbys and stoof, i need serious help.

11. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Finally fired the engine. Ran it to break in the cam, set the timing, adj valves, adj carb. Can't believe how good this engine idles. Don't have the tach hookled up yet, but idles about 700-800 rpm, with a 460 lift Crane cam. My other cam (434 lift) will not idle below about 1,000 rpm. Not sure yet, but may have a problem with the trans. Car is still up on jack stands, and I cannot "feel" a 1st to 2nd shift. I can feel the shift to high, or at least a shift to a higher gear, when I move the shifter the high. Tommorow nite I will install a pressure gauge to the kickdown servo pressure port, and see if I have pressure. Still have to install the battery hold down, tach, seat, seat belts, mount the shifter, and some wireing.

12. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Had a OOOPPS, today. Running the engine some more, and varying the rpm, and the fan belt came off. Then I hear a wirring/ringing sound. The next thing I know the outer ring of the crank damper, runs over both my feet, and heads out the door. :wub: . So had the remove the radiator, and install a new damper. Looking at the bright side, nothing else got damaged, and better for it to happen now, then at the races.

AC TC likes this.
  13. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Pulled the radiator, and installed a NOS damper. Fired the motor back up, and brought the revs up in gear, with the brakes applied. Ran through the gears, and could feel the shifts in all gears. I guess it is ok, just couldn't feel the shift with a 3,000 converter and no load. Corrected a few small leaks, and did a little wireing. Lowered it from the jack stands and backed it out of the garage, under it's own power. She saw daylite for the first time in over a year. Still have a lot to do, will keep posting.

14. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Trailered the car to town, today, Got a front end alignment, and put it on the scale. 2,740 with me in it. Will probably be between 50 and 100 lbs heavier, when done. Real lightweight compared to my Cuda.

15. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Didn't have time to add any posts. Trying to get the car ready for the Mopar Southern Nationals, at Valdosta, Ga. on Memorial Day weekend. Took some more weight out. Removed the bench seat, and front bumper. Added a aluminum "race" seat. Should be under 2700 lbs, with driver. Took it to the track (Gainesville, Fl) just to get it thru tech (not ready to race yet) Had a trans pan leak. Installed a Mopar deep pan kit, with the new style reusable gasket. No more leak. Had to order a new lap belt. My old RCI 3 inch is out dated by 1 year. I could use a stock 1966 OEM belt and be legal (someting doesn't make sense, here). Had to do a few other minor things the tech inspector wanted, but no big deal. Went to Gainesville on Wed night, for a test. Got there late after waiting till after 6:00 pm for UPS to deliver my new belt. Only got 1 run. I was hoping to get into the 15's on motor the first time out, so a 15.663 at 81.58 right out of the box was very satisfying. The MPH was down a little for the ET, but should be able to help that with tuning.

Went to the Georgia race, Wth some tuning the best run on motor only, was:
    60 ft....1.935
    1/8 mile.. 9.349
    mph.. 70.79
    1/4 mile..15.007
    mph.. 85.36

Made 1 nitrous pass. Little disapointed, thought it should have been quicker. I did miss second gear, went from 1st to 3rd.

60 ft....1.854
    1/8 mile...8.706
    mph... 77.26
    1/4 mile... 13.928
    mph....91.91

16. 68 Valiant

68 Valiant Guest

I wish I would have went to SGMP to see your car run. I'm in Tallahassee, just about to start working on my Valiant. You should check out www.tallahasseemusclecar.com, lots of guys from here go up to SGMP all the time. I used to have the owners rent the track out to our two big car clubs in Tallahassee for private track days.

17. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

Haven't had time to do much racing. Just a quick update, on performance. Dec 8, 2007 Gainesville, Fl.
    60 ft time 1.797
    1/8 mile 8.457 at 77.74 mph
    1/4 mile 13.648 at 92.05 mph
    Had the car weighed at a certified truck scale on the way home. 2500 lbs with about 5 gal gas. Add 190 lbs for driver and safety clothing, puts the total at 2690 lbs.

18. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

I going to try a "taller" tire on the car. It has a 3.91 SG 7 1/4 rear, with a 9x22-13 slick. Engine doesn't want to pull much past 6,000 rpm. So, installed long wheel studs, in the axles, and put on a set of 6x26x15 slick on slotted mags. I got the wheels with new 8x28x15 slicks, for $50 each, but the tires were too wide to clear the fenders. So I "borrowed the tires from my Cuda. Hope to try it out on Wed nite.

I

PS: had the car to the paint shop last week. Just a quick, cheap spray, to get it all one color. Just a "50 foot job", to make it more presentable.

19. xander18

xander18 Member

Very nice setup! I'm putting together a slant six Duster, but I'm looking to make it more of a road beast, not a drag. Still a low budget project, though.
    Wow, it's a pleasure to meet 'the guy with that turbo'. I stumbled across your turbo setup on www.1962to1965mopar.com a while ago and was really impressed. What sort of turbo is that? What turbos would you suggest for a slant six? Is a 225 a good candidate for a turbo?

On POR 15... I'm painting my floor pan with it, and it's true that application is key. I've had the interior out with one coat of it for the entire winter, because I want to do the second coat right. I don't have access to an indoor shop. :(

Best of luck with your project, I'll be reading eagerly.
    -xander

20. Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S Member

That turbo, is a modified Corvair turbo, built by Rajay. As you read, I did that turbo setup, back in the late 70's, and there are a lot better turbos available, today. I am not up to date on what the best ones are, for a slant. Yes a 225 is a good turbo motor. I still don't have the turbo car running, but I am working on it. It is a mater of time and money. Hopefully later this summer. If you haven't been there, yet, go over to www.slantsix.org, there are some others over there with turbos.