Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low on oil now the engine has a clatter

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by DCTZ, Jul 17, 2017.

1. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

Well my Turbo Z was running great until I started to hear a clatter. Pulled over and it looked low on oil. Got my son to get me 3 quarts to the scene and it was down 2. Got the car home but was still making a lot of noise.

Maybe a valve?

How hard is it to do a valve job on a 1985 2.2 L?

Just taking of the Valve Cover should show the problem?

I have done 95% of all repairs before including timing belt but have never been into the engine.

2. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

More likely a rod or crank bearing.

3. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

Looks like I blew the turbo as there is a big oil leak just below it on the garage floor. I did check the oil just before my drive on Sunday and all looked good.

4. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Blew the turbo? Where is the noise coming from?

The turbo has seals yes but the oil should go out the exhaust rather than on the floor. You may have blown an oil feed hose or return hose.

Back to the noise. If you ran it low on oil/pressure, and if oil failed to lube the bearings then they could have worn to the point of throwing a bearing, causing far FAR too much space between the bearing and the crank or in the case of the cam, between the head's cam journal and the cam's 'bearing' surface. In this case the noise would not be that loud.

If you're hearing a clanking noise from the lower end then it's time for an engine overhaul.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

I will have to investigate more into the problem this weekend. Maybe it is just the oil hose to the turbo failed? If so I will most likely have the turbo rebuilt also as it has 150K+ miles on it. I have also for years have heard a rattling type noise I think when it was spooling down? I have never heard a bad noise when accelerating, boosting, or idling.

6. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

So the engine itself doesn't seem to be making noise but rather the turbo?

7. DCTZ

DCTZ Active Member

Investigation shows that there is no oil leak. I must have put in too much oil the 2nd time and overflowed. I also noticed the valve cover bolts were loose. I never had the valve cover off. I tightened these bolts.

After changing oil I guess I did not put in enough oil back in? After oil change I always crank the engine, distributor wire off, until oil pressure comes up, then check oil again, and if good I will start it. The oil was so clean it was hard to tell whether it was full?

Looking into the problem further. I have a Boda Turbo Lube, see link for a 1984 Popular Mechanics page 20 lower right:

https://books.google.com/books?id=f...Q6AEIPDAG#v=onepage&q=boda turbo lube&f=false

Took off the Boda's check valve and it was stuck closed not allowing oil to the turbo. Boda is a good piece when it is working I guess? Looks like the turbo was starved of oil?

Is there an easy way to tell if it is the turbo is shot now?

I have not started the car since the noise has been heard driving it home slowly.

8. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

Lower rob bearings most likely. I did that back in the 80's after a bad oil change that did not refill the oil correctly. It needed a new short block.