Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnum swap (formerly 318)--what to do about power steering pump brackets?

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by MRGTX, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

Heyah, guys.

My ol' 1973 Dart Sport is back up and running with a fresh Magnum 5.9L, 650CFM carb, a mildly built 904, etc. It feels SO DAMN good to drive this car again! My dear old friend is back on the road and registered.

The motor is a Mopar Performance Magnum 300...so it has some LA style parts on it (cam cover, etc) IIRC. The swap was pretty effortless, considerations for the externally balanced flex plate, etc. not withstanding.

One glaring problem is that the power steering assembly doesn't seem to line up with the new motor. The bolt holes appear to be in exactly the same spot but the whole thing is moved 1/3" too far forward and the pulleys aren't lining up. I attempted to just mount up the pump (and leave the belt off) just to keep the box full of fluid but the stock fan actually strikes the pulley on the pump now.

How have others solved this issue? I have the pump with the round reservoir (rather than the tear drop shaped one...not sure if that matters. Thanks for any tips!
    -Mike

2. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Can you move (bend) the pulley brackets back and/or extend the fan's mount to the w/p?

MRGTX likes this.
  3. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

So I was able to fit a spacer in which moved the fan out of the way...and being closer to the radiator is almost certainly going to help. So that issue is resolved.

I think you're right that bending the brackets will be the only way to make that happen...but they're fairly thick and it's going to take some precise, compound bending to make that work. Ugh...

Thanks for the suggestions! I will keep at it.

4. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

1) Make sure that fan isn't so close that it can contact the radiator if you were to rock the motor (e.g. brake torque)
    2) The torch is your friend!

thanks for the update

5. wremote

wremote New Member

I used the PS bracket from a Dodge Van. Works perfectly, you would think it was original

6. wremote

wremote New Member

file:///tmp/mozilla_rsw0/20170509_134924.jpg

7. wremote

wremote New Member

Hi I installed a Magnum in my Dodge Dart 1972 Fo Brackets I used the followin.

Alternator bracket of a V8 Dakota
    PS Pump Bracket off a Dodge Van

I found clearance wasn't a problem in fact I had to extend the Fan Shoud