Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintenance

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Scrounge, Jan 21, 2016.

1. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Put in the OEM PCV. That's why its buzzing! Its screwed up inside. NAPA valves are always off when it comes to MOPARS!

Doug D likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I don't think it's normal - my 1993 Dakota with the 3.9 V6 ran over 5k miles per quart. My current 1999 Dakota 5.9 V8 is about 2500 miles per quart and I feel that is excessive.
    I was down to about 800 miles per quart (all in town driving) when I had an aftermarket PCV valve in it.

Doug D and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

It's cold and snowing outside, so maintenance will again have to wait. At least the truck is running reliably, though it occasionally needs attention.

Thanks, Allan, I'll epoxy the threaded receptacle when I return to Texas. Unless you can recommend another type of glue that works better.

Finding a dealer with the Mopar PCV valve in stock has so far been elusive. But I'd at least like to try it. I've read mixed reviews about the NAPA aftermarket PCV valves; while the first one was an improvement over the original unit it replaced, it's still using more oil than it should.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I bought 3 of the MoPar PCV valves on eBay for $15. I don't believe the dealer stocks them anymore.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Bob's right. I highly doubt any dealer will stock parts (even a PCV valve) for a 24 year old vehicle. They simply don't expect a vehicle to last that long. Ebay is probably your best bet.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I'm sure it was the same PCV valve up until the 5.9, 5.2 and 3.9 left production. Still that was a long time ago. They aren't hard to find on line and a dealer should order you one if you won't buy on line.

7. Scrounge

The 3.9 V6 was in production until 2004, the 318 and 360 until 2002. A lot of them were made, and while dealers naturally support their newer models, I think the best advertisement for a new vehicle is an older one of the same make in excellent running condition. Occasionally, I'll happen across a dealer that still stocks NOS parts. Ira Young in Temple, Texas did so, until he was bought by Benny Boyd.

I'll probably order from a dealer, if I know I'll be in town when the part arrives. I don't have a credit card, so I don't normally buy online; the exceptions are when a vendor will take a check. Most eBay sellers want more than what the dealers charge to order it, plus they add shipping charges. Bob got a rare good deal on his.

8. Scrounge

I glued in the threaded receptacle with JB Weld. The resume switch still doesn't work. Might it be time to replace the servo?

9. Scrounge

I found an OEM PCV Valve at the Dodge dealer in Safford, Arizona, and bought it for $16.73 with tax. I'm not quite back home, and the truck has another cold stalling issue (posted in Technical Topics), so it will be a while before I know whether it helps. The dealer had one more in stock, for anyone else who's interested and lives nearby (or will be driving by, like I was). According to another dealer, when someone orders one, it has to be shipped from their vintage warehouse somewhere in Wisconsin, hence the week-long wait.

10. Scrounge

Before starting the trip, I replaced the air filter with a new one from Napa; at $3.69 for their ProSelect brand, they're surprisingly the price leader on this item. But it didn't help gas mileage, which ranged from 18.2 to 19.7 mpg. When the truck was returning 21 mpg, that gave it a 460-mile range, but at 18 mpg, it's less than 400.

The OEM PCV valve didn't seem to help, either. I had to add a quart at Effingham, less than 1,000 miles into the trip, and the dipstick was down 1/4 quart when I next stopped for gas in Toledo. Granted, I didn't change the oil at the start of the tip, so I don't know what the range is from full. But it looks like the solution to the oil consumption problem is elsewhere.

The right rear turn signal/brake light burned out, so I replaced it, fortunately before it attracted some cop's attention.

11. NYBo

Level III Supporter

A dirty air filter has very little effect on fuel economy with a fuel injected engine.

12. Scrounge

I changed the oil last month before the Michigan trip, which is roughly 1300 miles. I didn't have to add a quart until returning home, I think in Blytheville, Arkansas, which would have been another 700 miles. This was also after another 200+ miles in Michigan. So, it's a quart about 2000 miles. Not perfect, but better than it was. Looks like the OEM PCV valve had a positive effect.

Gas mileage improved, too. This trip, it was better than 21 mpg most of the way up. On the way back, it was 19 mpg for the first tankful, but that was through rain and a stiff crosswind (sometimes, it was a headwind). It was better than 21 mpg the rest of the way. So Bob's suggestion that weather can affect mileage apparently applies to my truck.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Crosswinds and headwinds definitely affect fuel mileage. On windy days my Hemi-powered Ram is lucky to break 17 mpg. If it's really bad it'll drop to 16 mpg or worse.

14. Scrounge

Had to replace the rear brake shoes again. They were only 1 1/2 years old, but both of the secondary shoes had developed cracks near the top, and on the driver's side, it had worn away above the crack. They were generating noise, which would probably make the truck fail inspection. Don't know if the shoes I bought were weak (I bought them from A-Line; I bought the new ones from Napa), if I put something out of adjustment, or something else is wrong. The brakes are much better now.

15. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The last set that I bought for my 92 Dakota, the new shoes would NOT fit inside the new drums, even though they were the same brand. I had to reinstall the old shoes, and they just barely fit. Tried two brands, new shoes would not fit. I don't know what they're selling now, but they are not OEM dimensions.

16. Scrounge

It passed inspection.

Bob, I've so far not had your problem, but that may be because our rear brakes are different sizes. Mine are 9": since you have 4WD, yours are probably 10". Did they not fit because they were bowed out, or was there some other problem? During my search for prices and availability, I ran into other complaints about the 10" shoes not being an exact fit. If possible, you might bring the shoes from one side from your truck to match at the parts store. Or, you might try to find OEM shoes, if they still exist. Last resort: your favorite junkyard.

17. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Nope, mine are 9 inch rear drum brakes. The outer diameter of the shoes, installed correctly, was greater than the inner diameter of new drums. Believe me, I did everything I could as far as wiggling the shoes around, making sure the wheel cylinders and the adjustment were in all the way. The new shoes were bigger by about .030 inches. I tried several brands - Raybestos, Centric - nothing fit. And there are no Dakotas of this vintage left in any junkyard nearby - all were crushed 7 years ago in the scrap metal wars.

18. Scrounge

Did the stores mistakenly sell you 10" shoes? You might try Napa, if you've not already done so.

19. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

No, they were definitely 9" shoes. Bought two different brands from 2 different stores. Looked identical to what I took off, but with calipers, measured that the new ones were tiny bit bigger diameter. As in, .030 inches.

20. Scrounge

Napa's brake shoes include a core charge, which will be returned when you bring them your old shoes. I'm guessing that they use the old shoes for remanufacturing, which should keep their stock at the right size. I bought their Proformer brand, which was the cheaper of the two (and also beat the other stores' prices), and advertised as being for lighter duty. They also have an Ultra Premium brand, which is for heavier duty.

Brake Shoes - NAPA Brakes