NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malfunctioning GPS

Discussion in 'Technical Support & Help' started by valiant67, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

I'm traveling with the 2017 Durango. Driving through the WV mountains the GPS started showing an incorrect position. I thought maybe it was the mountains and heavy clouds. But it hasn't recovered. It shows me moving backwards, repeating the same loop of road again and again, not moving or way off the roads.

Is there a reset for the GPS? I'm in OH, traveling to PA before I return to GA. I'll take it to the dealer later, but I'd really like to see if I can get it working again for my travels.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

No TSBs, but there is a STAR case about resetting the GPS Home location and finding out how many GPS satellites it can see. That sounds like a reset and might help your situation. I don't know if the owners manual gets that detailed. I sent you a PM.

3. valiant67

I tried a soft reset procedure I found online. It may be working. I'll know after I drive a bit more.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. valiant67

It now is working after a soft reset:
    Here is the reset process for the 8.4n that I used. With the vehicle running, press the green phone button and the voice recognition button on the steering wheel. Hold for 30 seconds. Release buttons and turn vehicle off. Open drivers door for 30 seconds. Restart and the nav system reboots.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  5. Muther

Muther Active Member

Often, with a lot of consumer level micro controllers, a soft reset like that does wonders. This merely cycles power to the unit (industry term is "cyclelogical", get it--Cycle Logic Power?)

Glad to hear it seems to be working.

Also, when the unit hangs up, and a soft reset does not do it, sometimes there is a stray voltage somewhere inside keeping the thing "hot", and it just won't go away. Maybe a cap or something without a discharge path. If a soft reset does not do it, pull the dash cover, and pull the power going to the GPS unit, or pull the power fuse to the GPS unit. Leave it dead for at least 24 hours, sometimes it takes several days, or even a week or two. Caps, and board traces can hold miniscule voltages for a long, long, time.

--

--

Getting deeper into it...

Then, power it back up, and that often times works. This process has saved a lot lot lot lot lot of home electronics for me, and others (I work on industrial electronics). This is why a lot of times something was wonky when you unplugged it, but when you got it to the service place, they could not find the issue, you took it back home and it worked, then once in a while it did it again. This tends to be a design flaw, and is sometimes corrected with a later revision board. Sometimes a hacker/maker will post up a fix/revision online, maybe solder in a wire here or there to create a discharge path or something.