AF: Manley confirms new Mid-Size, non Gladiator based | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manley confirms new Mid-Size, non Gladiator based

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Talon139, May 6, 2019.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

People talk about bringing back the Dakota because the Ram is too large but what I think they really want is a new D50. Let the Gladiator duke it out in the mid-size class and have Ram reignite the compact truck class.

2. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Would it not be great if they surprised us with a 2 door Scrambler light duty Wrangler with a box. Dreaming of a smaller 2 door pick up, less cost less size and weight. Not based on the Gladiator, just a 2 door Wrangler with a box.

wvutuba likes this.
  3. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

How about just putting the J6 into production. I would be first in line.

wvutuba and jclick like this.
  4. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in anything that even remotely looks like a Wrangler.

vipergg likes this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Welp, consider that idea dead then.
    :p:D

6. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Large group of young buyers that would take an affordable smaller lifestyle truck. One that they and most people could actually afford.

7. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I think a cheaper option to Ram 1500, and arguably the gladiator, would be great. That is the only niche that needs filling, tbt; one that isn't an old Nissan or aging Toyota.

ScramFan likes this.
  8. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

And then next week they will say there is no midsize... then the week after they say there will be one, then not, then one, then not, then one... and in ten years, we will finally see a midsize Ram. By that time the market will have moved on to flying pigs and then FCA will repeat the whole process over again. :) ;)

Looking forward to this midsize Ram. They are a few years too late jumping onto the ball game, but at this point, they got to make it right. Better than the rest. (or at least priced better or having perceived better value) They've had time to see all the others be made and at about the time they reveal their new Ram midsizer, the other makes will probably be revealing their refresh or second gen version of pickups. Ford sort of half-did the new Ranger and they are already paying the price with it not living up to the Colorado/Canyon which happens to be the oldest of the two by a long shot. Tacoma really needs work and Nissan is in the process (someday) of getting that new Frontier out. They will probably go all in, then give up when it doesn't meet expectations... hence the Titan. One things for sure is that all the brands will be doing their darnedest to make the best midsize pickup in their second gen/refresh phase and Ram will have to prepare ahead of time for that. They won't make it in during this current era of mid sizers.

page2171 likes this.
  9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced the mid-size market will grow back to anything near its former sales volume. The Gladiator will stand out in this reduced market and should command a higher margin than its competitors. I’d welcome a new Dakota but I wouldn’t expect it to be more than an Americanized import.

suzq044 and jclick like this.
  10. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

[email protected]
    Yeap…. there will for sure be a midsized truck around the Ranger size, maybe a bit smaller. Whether it comes to American and Canadian is really the question. So there really nothing to debate other then when it shows up and where it is offered. Manley didn't break any news a mid-size has always been in the plan since the dissolution of the partnership with Mitsubishi.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Its called Uber.... maybe invent a Uber Pickup …. Uber move stuff. You need four full sized seats and somewhere to park for young buyers. The last thing they need these days is a 2 seat, dedicated use vehicle. Maybe invent a wagon to pull behind those electric scooters

GasAxe, suzq044 and ScramFan like this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Mitsubishi based Fullback also has problems because the diesel engines it uses aren't Euro 6 compliant.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

I'm not intentionally singling you out about your comment concerning longer trucks and small garages. I've seen many comments here voicing the same problem. The real problem is house builders are notorious for shorting garage space and have been for many years. I realize additional garage space costs extra, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker either. Not when it's something the home owner will have to deal with as long as they live there.

I let that happen myself many years ago when I had a new house built. Two cars and a workbench made for a crowded garage. Later when the time came to build again, I insisted on a deeper and wider garage. Before, parking inside was a hassle even with not so long vehicles. Now, it's hard to beat, even with a Crew Cab Ram.

VoiceOfReason and Chase300 like this.
  14. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

For me, it has little to do with garage size. I do not need the super size half-tons they are building these days. If you place today's half-ton truck beside one that's 30 years old the huge difference in exterior dimensions is very obvious; and there's not that much difference in load capacity vs the 30 year old truck. The physical size of half-tons these days is ridiculous. If you need that size of truck, buy a three-quarter ton.

wvutuba likes this.
  15. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

GasAxe likes this.
  16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

17. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Not when a lot of today's pickups are the main family vehicle used for family vacations.

GasAxe and brewdad like this.
  18. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Because smaller is better when your moving people and goods??

19. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

You aren't wrong mostly, here is a picture of my '66 half ton vs my wife's 2018 half ton. Wheel track is different, but the width isn't much different. However, the 2018 gets double the fuel mileage, has double the power, does have a larger payload and towing capacity, seats all four of us much more comfortably, safer, quieter, cleaner, has a radio and a/c, I think you get the picture.

upload_2019-5-9_8-3-30.png

fargo59, danbek, suzq044 and 4 others like this.
  20. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

and survive a accident.