AF: Maserati Folgore - 800 Volt BEV architecture | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maserati Folgore - 800 Volt BEV architecture

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

I have known a fair few White South Africans myself (in Britain), none of wholm where Racist by any means. Likewise I have been to South Africa a fair few times and I actually like the place & its people. So my point about Musk was less about sterotypes about White South Africans and more about the possiblity that Musk might have learned some bad ideas while growing up in South Africa, which could explain why he holds the views he holds.

Now I am not saying that this is true or not, but I do feel its something that does need some investigation.

Regardless; I apologise for any offence caused and this the last time I am saying anything on this subject (within this thread).

Could this system be made powerful enough to power Full-Size Vehicles such as the Jeep Wagoneer & Ram Pickup? Because if it can, it would help increase export sales of both vehicles.

If Governments are willing to provide more incentives for people to by BEV Vehicles, it would signifcantly help other carmakers catch up with Tesla when it comes to sales of said vehicles.

2. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

In these size vehicles is where I am interested in knowing the compatibility of this system, also.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Charging compatibility is AC Level 1 or Level 2, plus DC fast-charge. DC charging uses the CCS2 system, same as everyone else except the Japanese and Tesla.

@Chrysler UK export sales of the pickups are more limited by the size of the vehicle itself than its fuel consumption (there is, after all a 3.0 diesel model available now). Wagoneer may arrive as a PHEV, though as it's a lot easier to sell an enormous SUV as a luxury product.

Performance and power depends on a lot of things apart from the architecture voltage - after all, Tesla manages to make fast cars with just 400 Volt storage. The problem with adapting any BEV system to a pickup truck is the very different expectations of performance, towing and range that these vehicles have compared to cars. (Ducato BEV is also 400 Volt, incidentally)

For larger battery capacities you'd need in a pickup, the faster charging rates of 800 V are useful, but in truth, if you own a pickup truck, you definitely have a place to AC charge it overnight.

Chrysler UK and T_690 like this.
  4. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

Same here, especially when the Wagoneer could end up being very popular (by Luxury SUV standards) in Europe (and parts of Asia) if they offer PHEV and BEV versions of said SUV.

Which would give an advantage over General Motor's Full-Size SUVs.

Agreed.

It would give it an advantage against its Full-Size SUV rivals, since none of them (as far as I am aware) come in PHEV versions.

Thank you for explaining this.

5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Mostly true, but many Americans in so-called "flyover country" own pickups who live in apartments and have no access currently to an AC 110V plug, let alone a 220V plug. Until I bought my house, I couldn't even plug an engine block heater in, and I had a carport. That said, I don't think that's totally relevant to the people in the market for a BEV pickup.