AF: Maserati Grecale, name of the upcoming D segment SUV | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maserati Grecale, name of the upcoming D segment SUV

Discussion in 'Alfa and Maserati' started by T_690, Sep 10, 2020.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

@KrisW

Exactly. Porsche is the most similar to Maserati although IMO Maserati will lack direct 911 competitor which was planned with Alfieri which was planned with many different powertrains and power levels. MC20 is nothing more but a halo model which is aimed more at Ferrari and McLaren and not so against 911 except for some track oriented variants.

The rest of the line-up goes neck and neck against Porsche. Grecale against Macan, Levante against Cayenne, Ghibli against... Ooops! Ghibli doesn't have direct Porsche competitor. It was more aimed against the case like Audi A7 and BMW 6 Gran Coupe. From what we know there will not be new Ghibli except if there is a plan change. New generation Quattroporte should have short and long wheelbase versions just as Porsche Panamera. It will go more squarely against Panamera.

pumadog, KrisW and jorisr like this.
  2. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Not replacing the Ghibli would leave an opening to keep the 300 as the more affordable large car, a move that would hopefully lead to a new 300 with the Charger and Challenger. Strangely though, I see lots of Ghibli's here in Alberta. They may be replacements/upgrades for the lack of a new 300C, which was always more popular here than the Charger. I actually really like the Ghibli, and it's sales in N/A have been quite good, haven't they? Typical of FCA to cancel something that actually sells, and is popular?

3. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine buying a Ghibli because I can't find a 300C. Around here, a 2020 Ghibli runs around $90k, although new 2019's are still around for less. I would think that is at least $30k more than what you would pay for a 300C if you could find one.

Tony K likes this.
  4. Andy69

Andy69 Well-Known Member

Well not exactly, Stelvio is way better than comparable Macan and quite close in prices ....not hard to make better car. Maserati should compete with Urus, Bentayga and DBX etc. Alfa Stelvio competes with cars like BMW X3, Jaguar F-Pace, Porsche Macan and maybe Audi Q5 and Benz GLC aswell. And Maserati already has bigger car the Levante.

#24 Andy69, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the resale / residual value of the Ghibli is pretty awful, so...it's entirely possible you could get a great deal either on a leftover 2019 or 2020 Ghibli from dealer stock...or...on a used Ghibli.

6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? It's easy to find base Ghibli but not GranLusso or GranSport. Those start just around $10k more than the base one but lease is much more expensive.

7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Range Rover Velar and Porsche Macan are competitors for Grecale. So luxury car makers. German trio are step bellow was is Alfa. They are called premium in Europe.

But Grecale will start at very high price level. Let's say mid €65k in the EU including VAT but no other taxes.

It will be the most spacious in the class and it will have the most powerful base engine in the class with 2.0 330 HP.

The next generation Levante should grow in size. Maybe not so much in terms of external dimensions but it will be much more spacious inside.

8. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I didn't realize you were looking for a top trim level / optioned Ghibli.

I was figuring that any Ghibli...even a base model...would have been more than sufficient to replace a 300?

9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I'm not looking for a Ghibli.

I'm just saying that a real Maserati feeling can't be obtained cheaply.

10. Andy69

Andy69 Well-Known Member

IMO Macan is not Grecale competitor , its way cheaper car. If Maserati starts competing this it will definetly be eating Alfas sale. Way too cheap and close to Stelvio price segment

macan 245 hp 80 000 EUR
    macan s 354 hp 110 000 EUR
    macan gts 380 hp 130 000 € EUR
    macan turbo 440 hp 156 0000 EUR

Stelvio 2.0 280hp AT8 AWD Veloce 77 990 EUR
    and Stelvio Q is around same as Macan turbo

#30 Andy69, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  11. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

Well, there's no Stelvio between 280 and 510 PS. Much room for Grecale. And if character is different one shouldn't fear overlap between Alfa and Maserati anyway. Rather see the possibility to join forces (money and manpower) and appeal to different people. Just the way PSA successfully does with their overlapping brands.

tlc, Deckard_Cain and Morty like this.
  12. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Well it will definitely be a Macan competitor in the U.S. The Macan starts at $50k here and rapidly goes upwards- I fully expect the Gracale to do the same.

13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard Grecale's base price could be very close to Ghilbi's. I don't know base price for Ghibli in US.

14. serpens

Hmm. The Levante and Ghibli both start at $72,000 [before generous discounts at the dealer]. I was expecting the Grecale to be a bit cheaper.

15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting less than $60k, maybe $65k. It's a 330 HP for base model. That's Macan S level. Macan S starts at slightly more than $60k in US. This car should be (much) bigger and with a much newer bones than Macan.

We are talking about car which could offer more interior space than both Levante and Ghibli, which is more modern... I think it will offer Level 3 ADAS as option. During the MC20 unveil they had mentioned Level 3 ADAS.

Ghibli is near EOL. It has around 3 years left in its cycle. I'm not expecting new generation. It's still not in the plans.

New Quattroporte is coming while Levante will grow bigger, at least on the inside.

serpens and ScramFan like this.
  16. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Remember that when the 300C first came out, many people were paying a premium and certainly full price for the car, and many were able to afford MUCH higher priced vehicles. Especially so in Alberta, which was having a tremendous oil boom at the time. People got to like the size and handling of the 300, but after owning one or two without seeing any significant improvement, went looking for something similar, ie: Audi A8, Mercedes E class, etc. A lot of people here pay $75,000+ for a new vehicle every year, and the Ghibli is an upscale alternative to Chrysler. I think you would be surprised at how many people moved to a Maserati when they got bored with 300. ( which probably wouldn't have happened but for FCA's decisions re: Chrysler Brand). The question is how to keep those people in the fold when the last premium 4 door sedan has been discontinued?

17. serpens

Fair point on Macan S, I was definitely unintentionally comparing against the base model Macan with the turbo I4. There will certainly be some interesting overlap given the Levante isn't arriving until 2023.

18. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

That would surprise me.

19. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Grecale-Tonale ...Italians sure don't know how to pick names that roll off the English vernacular.
    These names sound ugly when spoken by people who don't know Italian "linguistics".

It they sound like Gre-Kale and Toe-Nail in English.

DrMark and page2171 like this.
  20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Of course base Grecale engine is still 2.0 I4 but with lot of tech. It has electric supercharger which should mitigate turbo lag and offers 450 Nm (332 ft lbf) at just 1500 rpm.

Levante is very big on the outside but LX bones are not particularly space efficient and Levant has very fat front seats which are eating rear leg/knee room.

Actually not if you look at Porsche, analysis of future sedan sales percentage and that currently Ghibli is nothing more than a short wheelbase QP with less noble interior. So it's very likely that Maserati will offer new QP in 2 different wheelbase lengths just as Porsche is doing with Panamera.

It's interesting that British speakers have much less problems with Tonale pronunciation. If you prefer it can be written as Tonalé.

I don't see Grecale as too much complicated either. It's Gregale in English with both 'g' as in Greg.
    If you prefer you can say Grekale with 'gre' as in Greg and 'ka' as in Karl.

Maybe @KrisW may help more with this.

Tony K likes this.