AF: Maserati to develop new v6 Hybrid in-house for new sportscar. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maserati to develop new v6 Hybrid in-house for new sportscar.

Discussion in 'Alfa and Maserati' started by dartndodge, May 14, 2020.

1. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I don't know. Are they making a new engine or are they making a hybrid setup using existing FCA tech which will be unique to Maserati? It would be like the Ferrari-redeveloped Pentastar V6, except less unique. There are lots of ways to read this.

The best way to read it, I think, is “we figured out people don't want to see any of the Chrysler-derived gear on this car. It'd better be something we can hide or pretend doesn't exist.”

Still wish they'd kept the Maserati platform and adapted it to Chrysler rather than going Giorgio. We'd have had those cars two years ago.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

"The Ghibli sedan is powered by a V6 engine developed by Ferrari. The petrol V6 and V8 options in the larger Quattroporte sedan and Levante crossover also come from the Prancing Horse."

This kind of thing makes me doubt the credibility of the rest of the claims. The Ghibli uses a heavily modified Pentastar block with a head designed by Maserati, with the whole thing assembled by Ferrari. The V8s are Ferrari units manufactured to Maserati's specifications.

It's widely expected that the MC20 would use an evolution of the Alfa V6, but with a completely new head with twin spark ignition (in the process revealing the MC20's origins as an Alfa Romeo project, the 6C). Given that Maserati was heavily involved in the design of the Alfa V6 engine in the first place, you could justify the claim of this V6 having an "all-Maserati" provenance.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yes, I think that's what's going on, especially if you include the tuning of the hybrid system as “uniquely created for Maserati.”

The goal is to have no hint of Chrysler or Fiat contamination.

5. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Have any of you read contract for engine development and assembly between Ferrari and Maserati?

It states engine developed and benchmarked by Ferrari. Engines in question are F160 and F154. F160 is using heavily modified V6 60° engine block. It's originally Chrysler engine block. But engine itself is different.

Engine in question for this new model is V6 90°. Developed and produced by FCA R&D center (Alfa Romeo skunkworks) in Modena which is today known as Maserati Innovation Lab. Of course head of development are ex Ferrari engineers.
    It's not a rumor.

V6 90° with different head, combustion chamber is already in use with Alfa Romeo. This version will be produced by Maserati in Modena and not in Termoli.

I've said more than once that future Maserati models are switching to a mix of GME T4 and V6 90° engines starting in 2020. Some older models will still use Ferrari sourced engines but new ones will not.

6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

If this model will be a PHEV or MHEV or both it will use different transmission than any other FCA model. It will use something which is Ferrari already using or which will Ferrari use. 8 speed DCT.

This model is planned for BEV variant. Yet again it should be relatively expensive 800 Volt electric architecture. I don't see it being used by cheaper FCA cars. It's not even in use by Tesla.

7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Sad...sad.

There used to be a time when being associated with Chrysler was not considered toxic.

8. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

It shouldn't mater about the politics.. If they build a awesome car with all the right numbers, who cares were the parts come from.

jimboy and MJAB like this.
  9. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't read into it to that much. Chrysler is not a luxury brand and Maserati will be asking $100k+ for this car. Best to distance yourself from anything non-luxury if you want sales.

jimboy likes this.
  10. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

There was a time that Cadillac, Oldsmobile/Buick had their own exclusive engines. When it got out that Chevy engines had been used in some models there were many law-suits. It was really bad publicity for Cadillac.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

They were forced into it by the reviews of the Quattroporte and Ghibli. Writers noticed some switchgear and UConnect were common between the two cars, then noticed the eight-speed (also used by Audi and others), and called it a fancy 300. To be fair, in some ways, that's exactly what it was. It used a very similar platform and architecture, with an important change to the front suspension. My opinion of it was that it was what the 300 would be, if Chrysler had a much higher budget. It had every 300 strength and then some, without most of the 300 weaknesses. A very, very nice car. - if I had to do a lot of highway driving, I'd have bought a used one.

jimboy, Shane Estabrooks and tlc like this.