AF: Maybe just as well Renault deal didn't work out | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe just as well Renault deal didn't work out

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Beentherebefore, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

So, does a red notice give Interpol arrest rights in Lebanon? If not as long as they stay there they are safe?

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Apparently an Interpol “red notice” triggers an investigation by the local authorities. That’s the reason Lebanon imposed a travel ban on the Ghosns.

Beyond that, Lebanon has no extradition agreement with Japan. But local authorities have expressed sensitivity to bilateral Lebanon-Japan agreements, which I take to it mean Lebanon is looking to accommodate Japan’s requests however it can.

Immediately after that, Mr. Ghosn went on the record to say that given his professional expertise, he “would love to be of assistance” to Lebanon. Which, within the context of Lebanon could be construed as code speak to local officials for “I got money and I want protection; name your price.”

Just imagine if FCA had to be dealing with all of this...

#82 aldo90731, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Thursday's WSJ had a front page article on Ghosn's press conference in Lebanon. He apparently stated that he was "close" to clinching the deal with FCA and that the discussions were "much further along" than commonly believed.

4. Adventurer55

He's living in a home that Nissan paid for there. What a sense of entitlement.

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Must be nice to have money...gets one out of a lot of messes...that one made himself....

gforce2002 likes this.
  6. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

That’s par for the course with a merger.

7. aldo90731

The chances Nissan would go along with an FCA merger were close to zero. If Ghosn didn’t know that, then he deserved to be ousted.

His entire press conference was nothing but a string of sour grapes. Most likely he said that only to make Nissan look inept.

BASONE88 and Zagnut27 like this.
  8. Adventurer55

It's the same whether you're from America or anyplace else. If you have enough money you can buy yourself right out of trouble. Especially if doesn't involve bodily harm crimes. Because in the end non violent crimes are almost always about money. The various governments state, local, federal, or international always go after low hanging fruit because they don't have much to spare. That way prosecutors pile up the charges knowing that even if you're innocent you can't hire a great attorney. They want your money as payback for the crime, whether you're guilty or not. Poorer people are left with little choice. The rich however are a completely different bunch, hence Ghosn.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

That or maybe just maybe, Ghosn saw how the situation turned at Nissan and could he have planned a secret divorce? o_O

10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Given the lop-sided cross-ownership between Renault and Nissan...Wouldn't Ghosn have simply been able to apply enough pressure to force through a merger...regardless of how Nissan felt about it?

11. aldo90731

I doubt it. The reason Ghosn was ousted is primarily because he was planning a full merger of Renault and Nissan. Granted, he appears to have been acting under cues from the French government, but a full merger was more than the Japanese could stomach. By that logic, there’s no way Nissan would have accepted a merger with FCA.

In our work with Renault-Nissan, it was clear to all of us that Renault was tone-deaf to Nissan’s needs and concerns. In typical Japanese form, Nissan was passive-aggressive about it. Renault, for its part, expected Nissan to be like the French and air its concerns openly —which just wasn’t going to happen. The Japanese kept things bottled up for 20 years...until they couldn’t hold it any longer.

If FCA got involved it would be playing couple’s counselor right now.

#91 aldo90731, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  12. Adventurer55

And the same thing could happen with FCA/PSA merger. Now, instead of two cultures they have three to weave thru. They would be wise to allow those cultures to co-exist equally, or it won't work.

Tony K likes this.
  13. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Thank goodness those talks fell apart...Nissan is an absolute mess, rn.
    I still say the Japanese government had Ghosn arrested in an attempt to keep Renault from force merging Nissan.
    That was all about Japanese autonomy.

Adventurer55 and JavelinAMX like this.
  14. aldo90731

Agreed. However, the fact that Mr. Ghosn is a crook handed the Japanese government the perfect cause.

Yes, I know, we are “innocent” until proven guilty. But if Mr. Ghosn is innocent I am Emperor of China... :)

Tony K, gforce2002 and Adventurer55 like this.
  15. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Could it be that Eastern and Western cultures ( including business culture ) can extend only so far, and no further?

Mitsu is with Nissan, now, as we noted before. I remember DiamondStar cum MMMA. Mitsu bought Chrysler's interest some time in the 90's - though maintained contract status for a period thereafter. That "marriage", curiously, lasted roughly 20 years ( give or take ).

I don't desire to be a Ghosn apologist. However, is there something under the skin that gives Ghosn's somewhat interesting actions some plausibility?

= = = = =

** - USA Constitution and juris prudence : A person ' IS ' considered innocent until proven guilty " in a court of law ".

#95 JavelinAMX, Jan 12, 2020
  16. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Nissan AND Renault products aré among the worst vehicles un quality , they are JUNK

17. aldo90731

When I worked as a supplier to Nissan it became pretty obvious that Mr Ghson promoted the cult to his personality.

For instance, when LEAF launched in 2010, Nissan commissioned us to do all sorts of market and consumer research. Envious of the success Prius had given Toyota, Mr. Ghosn decided that Nissan would outdo Toyota by building the first mass-produced EV and turn Nissan into the ZERO Emissions car company. There was no attempt to understand what made Prius so successful; it was a decision based on ego.

We spent years doing research to prove after-the-fact the wisdom of his decision; in the end, we were unable to show any data that LEAF had done any of the wonderful things Mr Ghosn said it would do for Nissan.

Meanwhile, LEAF diverted BILLIONS of dollars from ongoing Nissan business: when the all-new Altima launched in 2012, a key product in the North America market, it fell flat on its face; that CVT is considered the worst ever produced. Consumer Reports ended listing 90% of the Nissan lineup as dead last or near the bottom in quality, and withdrew all Nissans from its "Recommended" lists. Years later, Mr. Ghosn embarked Nissan on a sales race to take away from Honda the title of 2nd Best Selling Japanese automaker in N.A. A race that cost billions in rebates and cheapened Nissan’s reputation, and now has them struggling to make a profit once again.

After running Renault-Nissan for 20 years, IMO Mr. Ghosn saw himself as indispensable and untouchable. I can't get past the fact that he owns properties throughout Europe, in Brazil and in the middle-east acquired with Renault-Nissan money. These are not just allegations made up by the Japanese, but findings from audits conducted separately by both Nissan and Renault.

Sure, we can assume Mr Ghosn to be innocent, but I have seen enough to doubt it.

#97 aldo90731, Jan 12, 2020
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I don't know about your theory, but I will say that Mitsubishi and Chrysler did not seem to mix very much. It's not like they got together to design a vehicle. There were Mitsubishis sold as Chryslers, and Chrysler engines used by Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi engines used by Chrysler, but I am personally unaware of any actual mutual design. Even the Galant-platform Sebring and Avenger were, to my knowledge, Chrysler people using MMC dimensions.

19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

mmmmmmm ... What I meant was : "Could it be that Eastern and Western cultures ( including business culture ) can extend only so far, and no further ?