AF: Maybe just as well Renault deal didn't work out | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe just as well Renault deal didn't work out

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Beentherebefore, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Fiat has zero credibility in the quality department, and have done zero at least here in the states to rectify it.

2. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to believe Volvo ranks as high as it does. The ones at work seem to have personalities out of a Steven King novel. I like to be in control of my automobile and not have the automobile be in control of me. Maybe JD Power likes that some of the newer Volvos always start up; even after you parked it, turned it off and walked away.

ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  3. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Well I respect your opinión, but next Time try a 3008

4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Ironically, the Peugeot I drove was the 2008 II, which is on a newer platform. CMP, aka EMP1, is new in 2019.

ScramFan likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

It is a lot of things. Among them:
    1. Sales mix - Peugeot may be selling in U.K. more units of model(s) with fewer problems
    2. Dealerships - well trained dealers go a long way to shaping customers’ perception of quality
    3. Customer retention - loyal customers are more forgiving. If Peugeot enjoys higher customer retention in UK, those owners will tend to overlook problems. That’s part of the reason Toyota and Honda do so well in the US
    4. Brand perceptions - the same brand has different meaning in different markets. For instance, VW is viewed as a mainstream brand in Europe and as a premium niche brand in the US. Nissan is seen as a top quality brand in Mexico but not in the US. Mitsubishi is a mainstream brand in Japan but not in the US. For the most part, luxury brands tend to transcend national borders; non-luxury brands not so much.
    5. Competitive landscape - Peugeot is good or bad relative to the competition it faces in that market

6. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

I agree we don’t need FIAT, I kinda like the styling of Alfa, they just need to improve the quality, FCA needs a premium brand.

7. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Good for you.

8. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Chrysler could be the one.

dakota21, cdjr77 and jclick like this.
  9. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

10. aldo90731

Have you seen the price of Rams, Jeeps, even Dodges, lately? FCA already has several premium brands.

hmk123, Zagnut27, gforce2002 and 4 others like this.
  11. aldo90731

More dirt continues to come out. Nissan filed a letter with the Tokyo Exchange stating:

“There was ‘wide variety’ of misconduct ‘over a long period of time,’ the report said, noting that ‘many people were involved,’ and the misconduct took place not only in Japan ‘but also in foreign countries.’ Nissan will decide the punishment for others in due course...”

“The investigation involved more than 10,000 hours of analysis, including the collection of 9 million documents and interviews with more than 70 people within the company... The report attacked Ghosn's ‘personality cult’ and accused him of isolating departments within Nissan that would have been able to discover his misconduct...”

My guess is Nissan would have been happy to let Mr Ghosn doing what he was doing and look the other way...if only he hadn’t start pushing for a full merger with Renault.

Here’s the full article: Nissan punishes more managers following Ghosn probe

#131 aldo90731, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Tony K likes this.
  12. Chris mopar

Maybe in NA, maybe not, it could not be sold in the EU as a premium brand and Alfa can. When I said we don’t need Fiat, I met in NA, except maybe Mexico. I would love the see a rebadged 124 Spider as a Dodge though, but I doubt a business case could be made for it sadly.

Tony K likes this.
  13. aldo90731

Chrysler and Dodge still have a ton of equity left in Canada and Mexico, somewhat less in the US. It makes sense to leverage that equity rather than bring some new brand(s) to market.

14. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Fiat needs to improve quality, the materials they are useing are among the worst un the Industry.
    Resale value Is very bad, parts aré expensive and hard to get them.

Chris mopar and aldo90731 like this.
  15. Chris mopar

I agree. At least with the 124 Spider it is made in a Mazda plant in Japan, so quality for it should not be as much of a problem, it’s just not a big seller and probably not much of a profit margin either.

Mr.Source and aldo90731 like this.
  16. aldo90731

That was a key reason I purchased a Fiat Spider: it is built in Japan by Mazda, and it comes with a 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

The Fiat water pump failed twice within the first 4,000 miles, the Mazda infotainment system is 10 years behind UConnect, and the sound system ain’t that good even the “premium” Bose speakers. Other than that, the car is a real joy to drive, be in and look at.

Chris mopar likes this.
  17. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Just because its a Fiat, people are not willing yo buy It, as simple as that.
    Fiat has a bad reputation, so now they will hace to deal with It.

18. Chris mopar

That’s why I would like the 124 get a refresh and rebadged as a Dodge. Put a Hellcat in it ha ha!!!

19. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

A Dodge Hornet with the supercharged inline V6 would be very nice. :cool:

tlc and Chris mopar like this.
  20. aldo90731

Nissan US dealers gave CEO Uchida an earful. They complained about falling resale values, sales and profits, and “sought assurances of a game plan to lift Nissan's reputation in the U.S. from what some retailers described as a "bargain-basement brand" perception.

All of this is a direct result of Mr Carlos Ghosn’s directive to Mr. José Muñoz, then head of Nissan N.A., to surpass Honda as No 2 Japanese automaker in the US.

Nissan North America's U.S. sales tumbled 9.9 percent to 1.35 million vehicles last year, in an overall market estimated to be down just 1.2 percent. The automaker's U.S. market share, meanwhile, dropped to 7.9 percent last year, from 8.6 percent the prior year...

FYI - Nissan’s US demand was only 6.5%; Honda’s sales were 10% the US market. Nissan spent years buying the remaining sales through aggressive use of incentives, fleets sales, etc. Even at last year’s market share of 7.9%, Nissan US sales still have further to drop to find a more “profitable” equilibrium.

This is a problem 7 or 8 years in the making. There’s a cautionary tale for FCA as well.

Here’s the AN article: Nissan dealers give CEO an earful

#140 aldo90731, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    page2171, Dave Z and hmk123 like this.